Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

I found me a glass...

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » Archive Thru April 2002 » I found me a glass... « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through April 08, 2002Chrysippvs25 4-8-02  9:41 am
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Chevalier
Posted on Tuesday, April 9, 2002 - 8:56 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Sold on eBay several weeks ago, Etienne. It is beautiful, but I wasn't sure if it was an absinthe glass. But hey ... if Crosby drinks absinthe from it, then he has made it HIS absinthe glass, and that's cool.
Etienne
Posted on Tuesday, April 9, 2002 - 6:27 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Harry, you show off! ;-) That is one beautiful glass. I'm jealous.
Crosby
Posted on Monday, April 8, 2002 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

cordon
Crosby
Posted on Monday, April 8, 2002 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Just the glass love handle.
Admin
Posted on Monday, April 8, 2002 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

does it include the glasses with the etched line? or just the glass love handle?
Chevalier
Posted on Monday, April 8, 2002 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Cordon glasses, yes. Absinthe fountains with cords, no. Not to mention lampshades ...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1090520696
Chevalier
Posted on Monday, April 8, 2002 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

As opposed to:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2015322986 ,

And certainly not:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1090986628
Petermarc
Posted on Monday, April 8, 2002 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

cords
Timk
Posted on Monday, April 8, 2002 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The 'cord' marks the dose
Timk
Posted on Monday, April 8, 2002 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Cordon : cord, string, ribbon

- the glass looks like it has a Cord wrapped round it, presumably this is the source of the name
Admin
Posted on Monday, April 8, 2002 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

is "cordon" referring to the demarcation line?
Chevalier
Posted on Monday, April 8, 2002 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Just a reminder: if you ever find yourself in Chile, don’t miss the late poet Pablo Neruda's “La Sebastiana” museum at his house in Valparaiso. Neruda’s very eclectic barroom has about ten cordon glasses (among others) on the shelf, not to mention that amazing brass “ship’s wheel” absinthe fountain.
Oxygenee
Posted on Monday, April 8, 2002 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm with Peter on this one - cordon glasses were definitely made specifically for absinthe. They are listed as such in the old glassworks catalogues (some of which can be viewed on Ian's website), their proportions are always correct for absinthe, and their scarcity makes it unlikely that they were used more widely. Good quality examples with nice proportions and some engraving or cuts are hard to find - more so than most reservoirs, and at least at the moment, apparently more so than standard Pontarlier glasses.
Oxygenee
Posted on Monday, April 8, 2002 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm with Peter on this one - cordon glasses were definitely made specifically for absinthe. They are listed as such in the old glassworks catalogues (some of which can be viewed on Ian's website), their proportions are always correct for absinthe, and their scarcity makes it unlikely that they were used more widely. Good quality examples with nice proportions and some engraving or cuts are hard to find - more so than most reservoirs, and at least at the moment, apparently more so than standard Pontarlier glasses.
Petermarc
Posted on Monday, April 8, 2002 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

i believe cordon glasses were most specifically for absinthe...they are just too rare to be a plain bar-glass...
Chrysippvs
Posted on Monday, April 8, 2002 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I was actually thinking about that myself, but I would still argue they were not absinthe specific. Oxygenee? Peter? You guys would know better than me in the end...

- J
Crosby
Posted on Monday, April 8, 2002 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Chrysippvs,

Are cordon glasses just bar glasses or where they specific to absinthe?

Harry

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page