Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through April 08, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » Archive Thru April 2002 » What's green, contains wormwood, french, but was made in tarragona, spain? » Archive through April 08, 2002 « Previous Next »

Petermarc
Posted on Monday, April 8, 2002 - 8:43 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

she drank yellow chartreuse, she died -
ergo facto - drink yellow chartreuse and you will die...simple fact
Chevalier
Posted on Monday, April 8, 2002 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Was Chartreuse a necessary condition for her death, or merely a sufficient condition?
Absinthespoon
Posted on Monday, April 8, 2002 - 8:38 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

yeah well she died at 101, maybe it was the chartreuse that kept her going that long!
Petermarc
Posted on Monday, April 8, 2002 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

i have not tried the yellow, but it was a favorite of the queen mother, and now she's dead...
Absinthespoon
Posted on Monday, April 8, 2002 - 8:27 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Here in California, it is available at BevMo (beverages and more) for around $40 for 0.7 liter. I have also seen some special bottles in a wooden box at Beltramo's for around $150; I'm not sure if it's Tarragone Verte like in petermarc's picture or some other special version.
Very interesting info about the effects of angelica, petermarc. Do you know if it's more predominant in the green vs. yellow?
2loucheltrec
Posted on Monday, April 8, 2002 - 8:27 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

magicman-spirits corner has it, I forget what it's listed under but you can use their search.oh yeah, they only have the new green and yellow.
Aion
Posted on Monday, April 8, 2002 - 1:10 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I´m also quite sure that there is one
very interesting spice in Chartreuse,
the taste that lasts on your tongue after
sipping: Pepper!
A.
Petermarc
Posted on Monday, April 8, 2002 - 1:02 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

there have been several discussions on chartreuse in the past...
one of the many 'herbs and flowers' is without a doubt, absinthe, but it has escaped the wrath of french legislation(especially the elixir at 71°, which, come to think of it, contains sugar, also) due to church affiliation and the very small bottle with a plastic dripper top for creating tiny doses)...i talked to a wine shop owner who detested absinthe, but defended the elixir as a 'medicine'...the 'vintage' tarragona products are a suprise to me, as i cannot image how much better one from the '70's could be(this appears to be discovered old stock, rather than specifically aged) unless, maybe it is(was) made differently in spain...head is probably alluding to the effects of angelica, which is predominant and when this product is over-imbibed, tends to produce a feeling of wanting to vomit through your nose...
Aion
Posted on Monday, April 8, 2002 - 12:38 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

http://www.chartreuse.fr/pa_sommaire_uk.htm
Themagicman
Posted on Monday, April 8, 2002 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

ok not to sound like a total asshole what the hell is it is it a absinthe or a wine or what?? What the hell is it where can one get it
Etienne
Posted on Sunday, April 7, 2002 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Petermarc, I guess I have the direction now. Time to start my experiments with eighty year old Chartreuse.
Petermarc
Posted on Sunday, April 7, 2002 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

>Like in a dainty little cordial glass...?

that's pretty much what it is...digestif,etc...
drunk straight, pinky extended-not required...
Etienne
Posted on Sunday, April 7, 2002 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well, the cork is pulled. Now what the Hell do I do with this stuff? I've never tried it before.

Tastes like shit watered, doesn't louche, drink it straight? Like in a dainty little cordial glass, with my pinkie held high in the air?

Any advice from the assembled masses?
Crosby
Posted on Saturday, April 6, 2002 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Sounds good, I've only ever tried the green.
Etienne
Posted on Saturday, April 6, 2002 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Harry, when I pull the cork on this, I promise you'll get a taste. I owe you a couple!
Crosby
Posted on Saturday, April 6, 2002 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Drink up!
Etienne
Posted on Saturday, April 6, 2002 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

About a week ago I was given a bottle of yellow Chartreuse that was made in Tarragona. Judging from the label I think it's pre-prohibition. I wonder if I should crack it open and give it a try or save it?
Raschied
Posted on Saturday, April 6, 2002 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

What's that called? Mauntin Deaux?
Robertsmith
Posted on Saturday, April 6, 2002 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

It goes well with Mountain Dew. I learned that in a trailer park...
Absinthespoon
Posted on Saturday, April 6, 2002 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I never had any problem with it, but I only drank max 2 shots (after 3 absinthes and wine with dinner). No hangover.
Louched_Liver
Posted on Saturday, April 6, 2002 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ever had a 6" circular saw w/a dull blade cutting it's way out of the dead center of your skull? I have!! About 73 minutes after every time drinking Mean Green.
Of course, I drank all of the fuckin' stuff. Can't waste booze.
Absinthespoon
Posted on Saturday, April 6, 2002 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I LOVE Chartreuse... but I've only had the "new" stuff. The verte and the jaune are both good, but I prefer the jaune. It's very sweet and has an intense herbal flavor. The verte is also lovely, dry with a different mix of herbs. And... it does kick butt.
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Saturday, April 6, 2002 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Dear Newbies, Lurkers, Side Show Spectatators, Car Crash Gawkers...

If you are looking for secondary effects,
this shit has serious glow. Maybe even
Hexondary and Octogonary effects. This
stuff is THE DEVIL IN A BOTTLE. Forget
Thujone and Absinthe...

Go ahead try it. I get the whiskey quivers
just thinkin' about it.
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Saturday, April 6, 2002 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MAKE IT STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Petermarc
Posted on Saturday, April 6, 2002 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

tarrachart

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page