Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through April 08, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » Archive Thru April 2002 » I found me a glass... » Archive through April 08, 2002 « Previous Next »

Chrysippvs
Posted on Monday, April 8, 2002 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Technically, I think that there were only two types of absinthe glasses, pontarliers and reserviors. The rest were all purpose glasses, people put everything from coffee (mazagran) to absinthe to beer (Choppes Yvonne), wine (swirl, east) and back in them. Dose marks don't always mean they were for absinthe, La Cressonee and other drinks were mixed with water.

- J
Absinthespoon
Posted on Monday, April 8, 2002 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

bistro shot glasses, Cost Plus, $1.99
Nascentvirion
Posted on Monday, April 8, 2002 - 7:43 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hey Robert, whats the best shoe to drink absinthe out of ? Nike, Converse, Doc Martin, ?? LOL Considering shoes cost as much as the glasses, Why waste the money on glass ?? Ha Ha
Mkmiller
Posted on Monday, April 8, 2002 - 5:01 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

they are BIG shot glasses.
Lordhobgoblin
Posted on Monday, April 8, 2002 - 1:50 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Destiny,

I know very little about absinthe glasses but my understanding is that an absinthe glass is a glass that has been designed with a clearly visible mark, or change in pattern or shape so that you can fill up the glass with absinthe to that mark and then fill the rest up with water. This gives you the 1:4 ratio (or is it 1:5) of absinthe to water in your drink.

The antique/junk shops of French cities or large towns have lots of them and most of them are not at all expensive.

Hobgoblin
Destiny
Posted on Sunday, April 7, 2002 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Wow, petermarc the terminator! C'mon, help with the glass questions, mister. Mk, those look like shot glasses I have.
Mkmiller
Posted on Sunday, April 7, 2002 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

These are favorites of mine....

glasses

They are dosed 1:4, just the way I like it.
Mkmiller
Posted on Sunday, April 7, 2002 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

sorry...double post
Robertsmith
Posted on Sunday, April 7, 2002 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I drink my absinthe in the same manner the artists did...
out of my shoe.
Louched_Liver
Posted on Sunday, April 7, 2002 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

What the fuck was that? I had to read the author's tag twice to make sure who it was.

Kalladmin, give Petermarc his prize!
Admin
Posted on Sunday, April 7, 2002 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I think we have an unlikely winner of the "rant like don" contest.
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Sunday, April 7, 2002 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Did you lose your Sarcasticon?
Petermarc
Posted on Sunday, April 7, 2002 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

***cough***
Petermarc
Posted on Sunday, April 7, 2002 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

destiny-
you stupid fucking cocksucker!!! i think that catalog made it prefectly clear what is and what
is NOT an absinthe glass! if you had any REAL education at all, you could read that the glasses that look like choppes and certain egg glasses are NOT always called 'absinthe' glasses and are 'bar' or
'restuarant' glasses that you could serve PEE out of, and no one would say anything like 'hey, that's an 'absinthe' glass, why are you drinking urine out of it, dumb fuck?' it's god damn stupid questions like this that make me wonder why the fuck i bother to try to enlighten everyone at all about the REAL history of absinthe and antiques, since at this point, it seems a waste of time!...fuck me to tears!!!
Destiny
Posted on Sunday, April 7, 2002 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I've seen the catalogue on Frenchman's site before and that only added support to my belief that an "absinthe glass" seems to be one that you drink absinthe out of. Some of the glasses in the catalogue simply appear to be beer or vermouth glasses. The egg glasses or Chope Yvonnes seem very generic in particular, but are they considered "absinthe glasses" simply because someone used them for absinthe 100 years ago? Resovoir type glasses are obviously a specialty but it appears that most of the glasses are simply decorative glasses. A glass may not be vintage but can't it rightfully be considered an "absinthe glass" if it seems to fit in?

A LaBleue is considered absinthe even though it lacks the drink's trademark color, so then why must the definition of what constitutes an "absinthe glass" be so strict?

Genuine questions, no flame intended.
Larsbogart
Posted on Sunday, April 7, 2002 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Quote:
"I have an absinthe bong..."

But do you have an Absinthe stem?
Robertsmith
Posted on Sunday, April 7, 2002 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

for when i'm not freebasing it...
Robertsmith
Posted on Sunday, April 7, 2002 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have an absinthe bong...
I_B_Puffin
Posted on Sunday, April 7, 2002 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Does anyone currently produce an absinthe glass with a reservoir?
Petermarc
Posted on Sunday, April 7, 2002 - 7:11 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

cheers!
Mr_Carfax
Posted on Sunday, April 7, 2002 - 6:30 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks anyway chaps - even if it isn't one I am not unhappy with my purchase

- everyone needs an aesthetically special glass to drink ones absinthe from, and now I have mine.
Petermarc
Posted on Sunday, April 7, 2002 - 5:41 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

any glass can be a glass for absinthe, but an 'absinthe glass' is a different thing...
see:
http://www.frenchmanltd.com/final/catalogue.htm
Destiny
Posted on Sunday, April 7, 2002 - 1:54 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

What exactly defines an "absinthe glass"? In many of the old photos that I've seen, the glasses look relatively common, not at all like the fancier collector glases; almost just lke short stemmed wine glasses. Personally, I think that a plain "Chope Yvonne" style looks similar to a pilsner glass. And some of the egg glasses look like short stemmed water goblets.

Is the defintion of an "absinthe glass" more specific that the defintion of absinthe itself?
Oxygenee
Posted on Saturday, April 6, 2002 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Unfortunately no. Neither the shape nor the pattern of cuts are at all typical, and the proportion of the "reservoir" section to the rest of the glass is wrong.
Mr_Carfax
Posted on Saturday, April 6, 2002 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

But is it an absinthe glass?

Absinthe glass identification is not my forte

Thick glass, dimensions:
- base 9cm
- stem is just over 2cm thick at the thinnest point
- height 14.5 cm
- mouth 8.5cm
- "reservior" section 3.5cm
- "remaining "fill" section 6.5cm

Being without a digital camera I have made a dodgy "paintbox" sketch

glass

Any opinions?

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page