Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through April 10, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » Archive Thru April 2002 » Betina's Elixirs » Archive through April 10, 2002 « Previous Next »

Timk
Posted on Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I used to defend Betina, but since she decided to turn into a bitch, i think ill just go with everyone else.
Dr_Ordinaire
Posted on Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Arty, you should try some ginko biloba.

I'm not talking about any Rabid's post. I'm talking about my first post, some year and a half ago.

I posited that thujone was important in absinthe, and you (and Ted) responded that thujone was a moot point, that you have discovered something about it and mentioned it to Ted and you could not talk about it.

After a lot of research, I guessed you two were talking about the BP (which would be a huge error on your side) but since neither you nor Ted care to enlighten us, we will never know.

Sorry, Arty, this "I know but I won't tell" thingy does not impress people anymore...
Larsbogart
Posted on Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I can back it up with some samples if you like. Names? Other than "Patrick" and a priest is all I know.
Im not slinging mud for mud sake.
Robertsmith think what you like, but mixing in fakes equals more money if you know where and when to do it.
Simple.
Artemis
Posted on Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I certainly never claimed anything of the kind.

Ordinaire, if you have to mention me at all, I'd appreciate it if you didn't put words into my mouth.

Mr. Rabid, in a different thread, made a terse, *accurate* post about the irrelevancy of thujone, which echoes what I've *actually* said here about it. I'm done leading horses to water, let alone trying to make them drink. Believe what you want, but leave me out of it.
Tabreaux
Posted on Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Everyone from the Czechs to the Spanish is using a 'family recipe', '200 year-old French or Swiss recipe', etc.

As far as I know, no one has reported any thujone concentrations, and no one seems to be genuinely concerned.

I don't recall Don, Artemis, or myself claiming secondary effects were mythical.
Dr_Ordinaire
Posted on Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Won't all this become a moot point because absinthe is now legal (Kubler, U umlaut) in Switzerland? It will be available through the non-Betty outlets.

If they are using a family recipe, their absinthe should be genuine.

Sure, it does have NO thujone, but we have learned in this Forum (thanks Ted, Don, Artemis) that thujone is unimportant, not responsible at all for the (mythical) secondary effects...

My, my, I'm reminded of that old Arabic say: "Make sure your words are sweet, you don't know when you may have to eat them..."
Robertsmith
Posted on Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 8:28 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I sincerely doubt she has people making "fake" LaBleu here. If they're faking it they're doing a damn good job. The only inconsinstencies I've noticed from her La Bleus is alcohol content. It tends to vary from 55% to 70%, which can affect the taste a lot, but she admits this anyway. So, Don, tell me where I can get a bottle of LaBleu for $30 and not have to wait 2 months for it to arrive and I'll send you a box of Cubans....
Don_Walsh
Posted on Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 8:04 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Lars:

Name them and let them share the mud you're slinging.

Assuming you can back it up, they will deserve it.
Petermarc
Posted on Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 6:45 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

in capital city?
Larsbogart
Posted on Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 6:42 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

You may not have had a bad bottle of REAL LeBleu, but...
I suspect that Betty has a few bootleggers making fake LeBleu right here.
Suspect? Yeah, right, I can tell you what they do when they're not bootlegging for betty.
Bootlegging for Betty. Sounds like the name of an Iggy Pop CD.
Etienne
Posted on Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 5:17 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Welcome back, Don.
You've been missed.
Don_Walsh
Posted on Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 2:06 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Good work guys. Betty deserves all the opprobrium you can muster and more, for all the reasons you have cited, and more.

If we go back to first causes, I have Absintheur's word -- and he introduced these two -- that Betty cleverly queered the LB market first thing off, by stupidly agreeing to pay $80 per bottle for a $30 per bottle LB, with the very first LB maker he introduced her to. Silly Betty. RETAIL in Switzerland is $30, she would be buying in bulk and ought to be paying less not more.

That's not only bad business for her but for anyone else who followed her, and will follow her, and merely convinced the Swiss bootleggers that there is a pot of gold in USA to be made.

For this alone she should burn in the 9th cirtcle of commercial Hell.

The fact remains: LB IS $30. I have never paid more than 50 FrCh for a liter and I have never gotten a bad bottle.
Larsbogart
Posted on Tuesday, April 9, 2002 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Heres a tissue.
If she would stop trolling with the fear factor and just push her connections there would be less Betty bashing.
Trust me, she has alot more to lose than you do. Your bottle might be confiscated. She would lose her job and go to jail.
She's close to retiring, do you think she'd risk it?
She doesnt smuggle the shit back up her ass. It comes the same way it does to you.
Stay tuned for an expose and a Betty confrontation.
Robertsmith
Posted on Tuesday, April 9, 2002 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yeah, there's really no customs threat anymore if you're only getting 2 or 3 bottles at a time, and Betty exaggerates the risk because she brings in tons of bottles at once and so she is at a greater risk. As far as pricing goes, you can haggle with her and get stuff for cheaper, but her LaBleu still makes your wallet as light as your head...
Mr_Rabid
Posted on Tuesday, April 9, 2002 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The pricing is why people don't like Bettty.

They feel she preys on the ignorant by inciting a fear of customs enforcement, and thus charging thrice what others do.

To be fair, in the old days nobody really knew.

Now we are complacent because we have had government inspected packages resealed and sent to us.
Destiny
Posted on Tuesday, April 9, 2002 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

robertsmith is absolutely correct. I think that many people don't care for Betty for two main reasons:

(1) Because she seems to really push the unfounded fear that "Customs" will seize your shipment if you you order internationally.

(2) Her prices are extremely excessive.

However, if you know the facts and still want to order from her for convenience, service or selection, her customers all seem happy.

P.S. I'm not a Betty customer, just distilling everything I've heard.
Robertsmith
Posted on Tuesday, April 9, 2002 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Betty also doesn't spell "insurance" like Salspec does...
Robertsmith
Posted on Tuesday, April 9, 2002 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Her shipping is totally tight and more reliable than anybody else in the US I know of, and faster than anyone in the US too. All you need is some bubble wrap and styrofoam peanuts anyway. There seems to be this whole clan of Betty haters here. I've had zero problems with her and found her to be very reliable, and she can honestly find ANYTHING you're looking for, although she is honestly very overpriced. The bottom line is how quickly do you want your Absinthe, and how much are you willing to pay. She's a more reliable source for LaBleu than anyone else I've found, but if you order Spanish from her you're a fucking moron. $15 a bottle at spiritscorner versus $100 from Betty! I don't know anybody else I can get Oxygenee or the new Pontarlier from, but you can get LaBleu from wolvie for less than half of Betty's price, but you'll wait a while for shipping. Good luck!
One note: If you order a LaBleu from anyone, don't screw the cap on too tight because the plastic seal is really cheapo and will break and leak. To my dismay, after a flight from New York to LA, I found I now had LaBleu scented clothes!!!
Larsbogart
Posted on Tuesday, April 9, 2002 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Your best bet is to avoid her.
Salspec
Posted on Tuesday, April 9, 2002 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

she claims full insurence, but your best bet is to email her. She's pretty good at returning emails.
Brett
Posted on Tuesday, April 9, 2002 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Okay, okay aside from price, which for me is more influenced by the record lows of the Canadian dollar than Betty's cost... is shipping secure? are the bottles protected, etc?
Chrysippvs
Posted on Tuesday, April 9, 2002 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

tisk tisk...

Don't badmouth betty, she can apparently detect thujone with not scientific instruments and we need that kind of talent around here.

- J
Larsbogart
Posted on Tuesday, April 9, 2002 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

{:)}
Rimbaud
Posted on Tuesday, April 9, 2002 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Don't bother. Unless you are prepared to take out a second mortgage.
Brett
Posted on Tuesday, April 9, 2002 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Out of curiousity, how is shipping from Betina to the frozen north (Canada)?

I'm curious to try all this new stuff she's carrying.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page