Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

A question that only Oxygenée, Peter...

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » Archive Thru April 2002 » A question that only Oxygenée, Petermarc, Chrysippvs, Absinthedrinker, Etienne & I would love. « Previous Next »

Timk
Posted on Saturday, April 13, 2002 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"I have seen two Edouard Pernod labels on eBay in the recent past. I wonder if these are what Tim is thinking of?"

Therse quite a difference, i doubt anyone could confuse the two
Etienne
Posted on Saturday, April 13, 2002 - 5:25 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I had to look it up too. ;-)
2loucheltrec
Posted on Friday, April 12, 2002 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

thanx (y)eti-
i couldn't remember when the fire was.
Etienne
Posted on Friday, April 12, 2002 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The fire was in 1901, and while I'm sure it destroyed tons of stuff, Pernod was in business for some years after. They would have had more labels printed just as soon as they could to get ready for restarting production.
2loucheltrec
Posted on Friday, April 12, 2002 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

dumb question? could there be almost no labels because of the fire at the old distillery? i've never seen pernod fils labels on ebay and i'd searched there at least twice a week since the beginning of this year but i've only searched "absinthe" not "y" or ebay.fr.
petermarc-awesome label.
Etienne
Posted on Friday, April 12, 2002 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have seen two Edouard Pernod labels on eBay in the recent past. I wonder if these are what Tim is thinking of?
Etienne
Posted on Friday, April 12, 2002 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

About all I can add is to agree with what has already been said. I've never seen a Pernod Fils label offered. I have a Pernod Fils bottle without one and it would be great to have one to show.

I have about a dozen, some seem to follow a set style and are kind of ho-hum, but I agree that the nicer ones are small scale pieces of art. Two of my favorites are a couple of salesman's samples. On the back are the names of the printers, design number and price per hundred.

Oxygenee is on the mark about these coming from old print shops and the like. I would imagine that when someone does find a cache of labels, it isn't unusual to find them in fairly large numbers. There could always be a few left over from print runs, but think if you found part of an order that was never paid for or delivered. How many in a carton or two?
Timk
Posted on Friday, April 12, 2002 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Im 99% positive, i must admit thats the only time I had seen any, butthought nothing of it.

When you search try different spellings

Absinthe
Absinth
Absynthe
Absynth etc. Surprisingly I have seen some french items listed with a Y, though admitedly infrequently.
Timk
Posted on Friday, April 12, 2002 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hmm, definitely a couple of months at the very least, and both were definitely on ebay.fr at the same time.
Chrysippvs
Posted on Friday, April 12, 2002 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I think I will keep it for now...I will grab a pic of it in a little bit and post it....

perfect shape, I love it. I have around 30 different labels (as peter said to me in Paris, and I totally agree, that these labels are little bits of belle epoque art) and it is one of the nicer peices...

- J
Chevalier
Posted on Friday, April 12, 2002 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Are you interested in selling it, Justin? If so, may I trouble you to send me (if possible) an image and the price? I'm at: mpchevalier@hotmail.com
Chrysippvs
Posted on Friday, April 12, 2002 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have a unused Pernod Fils label for export to south america...it is the only one I have ever seen being sold on the open market...

- J
Petermarc
Posted on Friday, April 12, 2002 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

it is interesting that old labels show up many times in two's or more, denoting a find from old stock, be it a printer or a distillery...some of the nicest one's i've seen have been part of a find of multiples...
dianaabs
Chevalier
Posted on Friday, April 12, 2002 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Timk, you must have better eyes than I do. Like Petermarc, I've never spotted a Pernod Fils label on eBay.fr or eBay.anycountry!

Would you happen to remember how long ago this was, and how much they sold for?
Timk
Posted on Friday, April 12, 2002 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"the labels that exist today were not soaked off bottles"

Not being overly into bottle labels, surely some must have been soaked off and survived till now, i doubt the adhesive was as good as it is today anyway. Yes, I have never seen a Cusenier label berore, and I have only seen one Premier Fils too.
Timk
Posted on Friday, April 12, 2002 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have definitely seen two Pernod Fils labels quite close together on ebay.fr
Larsbogart
Posted on Friday, April 12, 2002 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Oh no. Does that mean...? Not again...
Oxygenee
Posted on Friday, April 12, 2002 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

The relative scarcity of labels today is completely unrelated to the historical popularity of the original brand itself - the labels that exist today were not soaked off bottles, but come from printer's overruns or distillery stocks. Whether these exist or not for a particular marque is really a matter of random chance.

I've never seen an unused Pernod Fils label (actually, I've seen neck labels, but not the main label), nor have I seen a mint label for Cusenier's Oxygenee, probably the second biggest brand.

Some labels are so common (eg for Absinthe Duval), that it seems likely that additional copies were run off from the original printing plates specifically as souveniers.
Raschied
Posted on Friday, April 12, 2002 - 8:25 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

You guys are forgetting how valuable a piece of paper was back then for cigarette smokers. I wouldn't be suprised if they were all used as rolling papers.
Petermarc
Posted on Friday, April 12, 2002 - 8:05 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

tim, i have never seen a 'pernod fils' label ever, with 2+ years of watching e-bay...edouard pernod, but not pernod fils...
Petermarc
Posted on Friday, April 12, 2002 - 8:02 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

i have only found two, together, and the person didn't know she had them with some other old papers...it is a great question for nerds like us, and so far i don't know any collector who claims to have or have seen a big stash, nor have i ever seen anyone try to sell one, who knew what it was...maybe they used them to heat the distillery when it was turned into a make-shift hospital for WWI soldiers...after all, what would you do with all those useless pieces of paper after the ban?
Timk
Posted on Friday, April 12, 2002 - 7:57 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have seen several Pernod FIls labels on ebay
Chevalier
Posted on Friday, April 12, 2002 - 7:43 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

It regards vintage labels for absinthe bottles.

Many show up on eBay, mostly from smaller absinthe makers ... but Pernod Fils never does. Why not? Pernod Fils was one of the big boys. They had to have made more labels than anyone. Where are those pieces of paper?

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page