Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

The Joy of Tea

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » Archive Thru April 2002 » The Joy of Tea « Previous Next »

Amnesiac
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Sorry. Don't want to make you sick. How about THIS tea recipe. A summer classic guaranteed not to make you sick.

Moroccan Mint Tea

3 tea bags of your choice

1 very large handful of mint sprigs (about 2 cups) washed

2/3 cup sugar, or more to taste

4 cups cold water

1 smaller handful of mint sprigs, washed (optional)

Place the tea bags, large handful of mint, and the sugar in a heatproof pitcher or very clean teapot.
Bring the water to a boil and pour into the pitcher or teapot. Allow to steep for about 10 minutes, then stir gently and strain into a large pitcher. Pour out a small glass and taste, adjusting the sweetening as needed- remember, this is supposed to be a very sweet tea. The sweetness somehow adds to its thirst-quenching qualities.
Place the pitcher in the refrigerator until well chilled, then either serve it as is, or stuff a small handful of mint sprigs into each into glass before adding the chilled tea, making it even more aromatic and dramatic.

There. Try that little number out.
Timk
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I think im going to be sick
Amnesiac
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 7:04 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Here's an excellent Tea recipe in the memory of Jack Kerouac. I used to be a barista at a Borders bookstore, and one day this Asian fellow came in and asked me to make him a custom tea drink. He gave me the recipe, I made it, and it forever went down in Tea history. Last time I was there, it was still up on the recipe board.

Dharma Bum

1 teabag of Earl Grey
1 shot of Almond syrup
3/4 cup HOT water
3/4 cup HOT milk

First put the shot of almond syrup in the bottom of your large tea mug. Then put the tea bag in the mug (so that the syrup soaks in the bag). Next, fill the mug half full with SCALDING HOT water. Then fill the rest of the way with HOT milk. Mix. Stir. Mix. Steep tea a little bit (to taste). Remove tea bag. ENJOY!!!

This is a very interesting tea beverage. Even people that don't like tea like it.

BUT if you don't like almond, I doubt you'll like it.

Cheerio!
Louched_Liver
Posted on Sunday, April 14, 2002 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Tea Boy @ Tea Mile Island.
Admin
Posted on Sunday, April 14, 2002 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have.
Robertsmith
Posted on Sunday, April 14, 2002 - 6:12 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

have you ever been Marccampbelled?
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Sunday, April 14, 2002 - 5:59 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Tea Boy
Wolfgang
Posted on Sunday, April 14, 2002 - 4:52 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

My favorite is a nice Darjeling Gopaldara first flush. When properly made (which is not easy because it turns bitter very fast if you don`t remove the leaves at the right time), it`s floral, strong but almost honeyed.

I also made a very nice mix of a cheaper indian tea with wild harvested mint and damiana.

I didn`t know anything about tea before I met my girlfriend who like it as much as I like absinthe and collect and cherish old tea cups as I do for absinthe spoons ;-).
Marccampbell
Posted on Sunday, April 14, 2002 - 1:43 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

have you ever been tea bagged?
Crowlyman
Posted on Sunday, April 14, 2002 - 1:36 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Truly I have never had a 'good' tea. I just drink the ready made or old lady bag tea. I don't even know what good tea should taste like. I basically drink it for the caffeine. Coffee is too strong in that respect and cola will rot our guts in no time.
I also am very fond of a different tea. Think Kerouac, think beat. Soothing. Especially for some of us with troubled thoughts, or at least thoughts that ramble too much. I can't even sleep at night because I don't know how to turn my brain off. Tea helps this sometimes. But back to the subject...aw screw it! I didn't have a point anyway!
Larsbogart
Posted on Saturday, April 13, 2002 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Did I see a scone on that site?
This week with ME and Cokie Roberts, tea, and a scone. This week without Sam donaldson [www.sam.com].
Verawench
Posted on Saturday, April 13, 2002 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

http://www.mariagefreres.com/

My uncle once brought us some of Mariage Freres' Prince Igor and Noel teas. Fantastic.
Dr_Ordinaire
Posted on Saturday, April 13, 2002 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

This is for you tea lovers.

Graham Greene, I think it was in "Travels with my aunt", feeling a lot of longing for England when he saw a tea bag, coming out of cup, like "a drowned animal..."
Robertsmith
Posted on Saturday, April 13, 2002 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

So here's a good subject for argument: Are herbal teas tea? I usually dislike herbal infusions, and refuse to regard them as tea, just as I refuse to accept any so called absinthe that has no wormwood as absinthe. "Tea" comes from a single plant, called camilla sinensis, and it's usually a short bush about 3 feet tall, although it can grow to a small tree height if left unpruned. Chammomile tea is nice, but it has no actual tea leaves in it. It's an herbal infusion.
Robertsmith
Posted on Saturday, April 13, 2002 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm a sucker for tea. (tea bag tea is for old ladies!) You can actually get excellent tea for dirt cheap in NYC at Portorico.com. Actually PortoRico importing companies Keemun, if it's fresh, is better than a good cuban cigar....
For rarer teas, the most incredible I've had is white dragon, which is a white tea which grows on this one specific mountain in Mongolia. I received it as a gift from a lady who's father was the Mongolian ambassador or something, so I have no idea where it can actually be purchased, but it is by far the best tea I've ever had. It's sexual!
Tabreaux
Posted on Saturday, April 13, 2002 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I am very fond of coca tea, which is a very medicinal beverage.

I also made some teas from ginseng I obtained directly from farms in Canada, the quality of which far exceeds any commercial products I've compared.

Finally, in Thailand I was introduced to Chrysanthemum tea, which makes a great cold summer beverage.
Amnesiac
Posted on Saturday, April 13, 2002 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

As we all have a passion for Absinthe, I have a passion for tea.

And I'm not talking Farmer Jack shelf tea. I'm talking, special order, hand picked, rare tea.

Of course I drink your everyday tea, but I prefer to have a large selection on hand. (I have over 40 varieties on hand at any given moment.)

I'm just curious if you all like tea as well. I like to order from www.tealuxe.com, www.republicoftea.com, www.specialteas.com (this has an extensive variety of the most excellent teas).

Maybe this is a dumb topic, but if you like tea like I do, you'll understand the topic.

So- is it Tea time or not?

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page