Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through April 15, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » Archive Thru April 2002 » Forum Etiquette Update » Archive through April 15, 2002 « Previous Next »

Larsbogart
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 7:26 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Quoting myself:
"This morning I decided to either go to anger management or stop drinking bourbon. But bourbon was the last frontier. Theres only gin left and really, I couldnt."
Ive decided to NOT go to anger management. It would just make me angry.
That leaves a problem as unsolveable as the middleast conflict. If not Bourbon, what?
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 7:25 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Happy Birthday Tyler.
Amnesiac
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 7:18 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

My real name is

Tyler Durden

14243 Paperstreet

New York, NY 70076

There. It's public record. Now where's that bastard Chuck Palahniuk who stole my name and address for his fucking book!!!! I'm too famous now!!!
Amnesiac
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 7:17 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I just want to mention that today, April 15, (tax day in the USA), is my birthday. Isn't that great? I'm 22 today. That's grand, huh?

I just want to tell you all how much I love you. I think the reason I am so comforted here is because its like a big dysfunctional family. We might not get along. We might hate eachother. But underneath it all, we all still love and care for one another.

Kallisti- you rock.

Don Walsh- Hmmmm....You seem, to an outsider that knows nothing of the situation, a bit harsh. Live and let live. You know? Now give me a big hug, you big lug...

Artemis- Hmmm...You seem, to an outsider that knows nothing of the situation, to be rightfully angry. I hope the best for you. Hold your head high and stand proud. Fight for what's right. You know? Now you give me a big hug too, you big lug...

Everyone else: You can send my birthday cash to whatever publicly available address that Mr. Don Walsh has made available to you. Hehehehe...

Privacy rocks!!!

Cencorship rocks!!!

Taxes rock!!!

Er...wait. No they don't. Am I drunk again?????
Nascentvirion
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 6:57 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Wow, I've just read all of the posts.... I'm a newbie, and I dont know a fuckle about absinthe except what I've read on this site and the things you people post. There's not much out there when it comes to absinthe. This site & message board is a rare find. I guess rude people are every where you go, not much you can do to stop that.
Alphasoixante
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 6:51 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

here's the best commentary i've seen on donnie darko:

"Donnie Darko is the wet dream of every maladjusted teen (and adult) on the verge of a lunchroom shooting spree. He's a brooding, brainy boy who's misunderstood by his parents and school administrators, but his fellow teens worship him as a straight-talking, won't-sell-out hero. Like American Beauty, Donnie Darko ends with an act of baroque violence and a strange sense of righteousness that such violence is the only honest response to a messed-up modern life."
Joalco
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 6:40 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Marc:

"Don is a soul brother."

No, he's not. Don is an *asshole*, and a bad businessman to boot. He does have a wide base of knowledge and experience, and that I appreciate, but when every single thread becomes a two-bit pissing contest, nine times out of ten over something inconsequential, it starts to detract from the positives.

Would I buy a car from a well-versed salesman who, while showing me a carriage, berated me, my family, my ethnic background, etc, etc ad nauseam? No. Would I buy absinthe from a similar salesman? No, and I repeat, no. Don's incessant diarrhea of the mouth has undoubtedly hurt whatever interests Ted and Justin have in BEL.

And as far as forum content, there are always going to be conversations that aren't exactly your area (or mine) of interest. What to do when that happens? Start up a new one. Sing the praises of Donnie Darko, or walking the moonlit streets of Prague, or the new Rasputina album. In short, *talk* about something that interests *you*, and others will follow suit.

Okay, I'm going to shut up now.

*puts away the soapbox*

jc
Artemis
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 6:15 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

TimK

"Whats the point of deleting posts, it just means people who werent there at the time have no opportunity to form opinions on what happened, would someone be kind enough to mail me said posts"

Essentially, Don reacted to me telling him off by spilling something over which he's been stewing for months, an imaginary conspiracy to "cyber-lynch" a member of this forum, said conspiracy led (in Don's fevered imagination) by me, and other "illuminati", "mummers", etc. to use a few of the words he used in his campaign to rally the forces of light against my evil.

Don stated that I had "accused" this individual of a particularly odious variety of crime, and had tried to poison Don and/or Ted against him, and attempted to "cyber-lynch" him, whatever the fuck that means.

What actually happened was, some months ago, Don was in a discussion here with several individuals who were slamming the person in question. Don defended him. So I made Don aware of certain websites that painted an entirely different picture of the person than Don was painting. I said that those websites were common knowledge to a number of people in the forum, and that it was only a matter of time until someone brought it up, leading to a public relations disaster. I reminded Don that numerous people hated him, and might use any means to publicly embarrass him.

At no time did I accuse anybody of anything. The websites in question did that. Or at least they painted a very one-sided (and quite shocking, to be honest) picture. I DID speculate privately with Don about the believability of the information in question. I pointed out to him that regardless of what I believed, it wasn't pretty, and people were bound to be swayed negatively by it.

Don got with the person in question and got an account from him that 100% contradicted the publicly available information, which he relayed to me. He also went to the trouble of forwarding my (private, intended for Don's eyes only) emails on the matter to that person, and to several other people.

Entirely embarrassed, humiliated, and remorseful, I apologized to the person in question and let the matter drop.

But here's where it gets weird. Within minutes of my hinting to Don that he should break off the public debate in question because someone might hit him with those websites (of which he was entirely unware) *someone else* sent Don a heads-up similar to the one I had sent him. I had no knowledge of that email, much less collusion in it. I didn't even learn who that second person was until long afterwards. But because he happened to be someone with whom Don knew me to be associated (although actually, at the time, we weren't even speaking to each other), Don fantasized a conspiracy, apparently led by me and that person, to "cyber-lynch" the forumite whom I allegedly accused of crimes, etc.

Don then mounted his horse and went tearing around the forum like Don Quixote, jousting at imaginary witch-finders and Ku Kluxers, dropping hints about poison pen campaigns, etc. And he privately recruited a number of people to his crusade against the witch hunt with no witch and no hunters. Clueless as he is, a couple of them were among the people who hate everything for which he stands. They promptly forwarded his lunatic screed to me.

I then retired from the forum, embarrassed that I had indulged in gossip instead of looking into the matter with the person whom I allegedly accused. All I had done was point the way to some websites, but in the discussion that followed, I had made some remarks about the person in question that weren't particularly flattering, to say the least. But they were PRIVATE remarks, not intended for dissemination or publication. I would not have ever published anything here about the matter. And as it developed, nobody ever did. Except Don.

Having examined my conscience, I considered a return to the forum wherein I would be a lot more cognizant of the possible harm I could cause to people through words. I tested the waters a little. Don made it obvious that he had not forgotten the matter that I (and from all appearances, the person I had supposedly accused) had put behind us. He kept dropping his little "poison pen" and "coward" hints. I let it slide, concerned that if I confronted him, he might out me like he did Absintheur. But the point came when I'd had enough. So I challenged him to deal with his problem with me face to face. Instead, he dragged a lot of dirty laundry through the forum, potentially causing more harm to the person he was supposedly defending than any I ever dreamed of doing.

Now, you be the judge of who's walking upright in the sunshine.

Oh, and he called me a Nazi and an anti-Semite too. Now THAT is some tired old shit. And hilarious, it's so stupid. By the way, did you all know that the Arabs are Semites?

And he publicly offered to send personal details about me to anybody who requests them. For which he got tossed for violation of the privacy policy. He also said he would send those details to Ted (who already knows them) and the witch I supposedly hunted (who also knows them). Who else would care, I can't imagine.
Artemis
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 6:04 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Marc:

"By the way, Don e-mailed awhile ago regarding a smear campaighn that he thought might be initiated against Justin. He was careful not to mention who was behind the campaign."

He didn't mention it because he didn't KNOW who was behind the "campaign". He didn't know there WAS a campaign. It was a fantasy, a figment of his paranoid imagination.

"and I'm still waiting to hear from someone, anyone, that has been hurt by Don."

Are you living on this planet? Who's been around here for any length of time who HASN'T been hurt by Don? I have been. Absintheur. Nephilim. Luger. Vera. Kallisti. Head. Did you think those were robots? They're human beings, with human emotions. He did his best to hurt you too. He's also forwarded YOUR email to other people (me specifically) without your permission, by the way.

And you want to know who's been hurt worst of all? Ted Breaux. It doesn't take a genius to figure that out.
Artemis
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 6:02 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Quotes by Don:

"Anyway Artemis' real target was never Justin."

That much is true.

"Justin was a means to an end for him."

The imaginary "end" being the destruction of the Jade enterprise, no doubt. Don's sparkling record of customer relations has gone further toward that end than anything I could ever do with dynamite. Everyone ask yourselves, who has given Jade more or better free press than I? Odd behavior for somebody bent on its destruction eh?

Don:

"Artemis is a blah, blah, blah.
He thinks he can walk among you and hold his head up like a man.
He cannot."

I'm walking and talking. Feeling clean for the first time in ages. I put up with Don's shit in this forum for a LONG time, because privately he had showed me a different side of himself. But standing by and doing nothing while he displayed despicable behavior here, left a bad taste in my mouth. It's gone, now.

He calls me an "anti-American"! At least I AM an American. What the fuck is he? I could post a picture of my military uniform, with the ribbons, the wings, the combat air crew member badge. But I have NOTHING to prove to the likes of him.

"Ask Ted.
Ask Justin himself.
Both of them got copies of all the emails I received from Artemis -- and another forumite."

Sending private email to third parties without the writer's consent, or for that matter, publishing them here, is business as usual for Don. But then, higher being that he is, the normal rules of etiquette don't apply. The "other forumite" is an individual whose honor is impeccable. Don was publicly calling that individual "friend" here at the same time he was implicating the man in his "poison pen" fantasy. Of course, the guy was never deceived, being sharper than Don by a wide margin, in spite of what the blowhard prefers to believe. He has toyed with Don here in the forum a hundred times like a cat toys with a mouse, while Don, convinced of his superior intelligence, condescended to him like the gullible sucker that he is.

"Artemis started this to try to create a problem between Ted and myself over Justin's involvement in BEL"

At the time, Don was publicly insisting that Justin had no such involvement. And I believed him. So how could I have such a motive? And why would I even care? I don't give a shit who people hundreds of miles away from me take up with (or don't). I have no interest at stake. I have nothing to gain or lose one way or the other.

"Now Artemis is back pretending he isn't a slimy slug, and spitting at me"

Spitting ON you. I invited you to make your accusations to my face, but instead, from the safety of a Magoolah Republic on the other side of the world, you slime trail left by a shit-eating parasite, you spilled the poison that's been choking you for months, dragging other people into it, potentially doing them more harm than I ever dreamed about doing. But as Head so aptly pointed out, it's always been all about YOU, hasn't it?

Oh, and Don?

Have a nice life.
Larsbogart
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 5:20 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

This morning I decided to either go to anger management or stop drinking bourbon. But bourbon was the last frontier. Theres only gin left and really, I couldnt.
Marc you have an eloquent way about you. Thats why I started to like you. You know when to talk and when not to talk and I've larned alot from you too, thank you. We've had our disagreements, which I think are healthy without them we flatline. You have my permission to kill me when I get that boring.
I guess I can take the Betty bashing comment personally, well I have a legitamate bitch with her. I feel it balances all her glowing posts she helps write and uses the forum as a giant bilboard. Im not budging an inch on that one.
Don Walsh has hurt me. He never answered any of the e mails I sent him but he probably thinks Im a bore. I like that!
Finally, remember that Karen Finley thing on Houston Street before all her troubles? The Black Sheep? I read that coming from buying bags on Avenue B. It was like being caught by your mother. I love her.
The forum member I would like to be my friend but never meet? Lord Hobgoblin.
Louched_Liver
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 5:05 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

BJ,
A kid? Me? Not quite!
And X keeps me up, makes me clench my jaw, and if I dose right, see shit.
It doesn't make me like anyone I already don't, the baggy pants look like shit, and I liked techno before I ever rolled.
So there!
_Blackjack
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 4:58 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Quote:

Besides, I prefer X.

I will never trust any drug which would make me nice to people, think Techno is good music, or want to wear giant pants.

Kids today. Back in my day, we took drugs that made us surly, and stay up 6 days in a row, grind our teeth and see shit that wasn't there.
_Blackjack
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 4:55 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Quote:

3. more women

I agree totally, and in the least frat-boyish way possible. I spend remarkably little time in the real world in the company of males. Straight ones, anyway. I'd even be willing to forego vitriolic political rants if we could attract more women to the discussion.
Marccampbell
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 4:52 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Donnie Darko is a terrific fuckin movie.
I could relate.
_Blackjack
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 4:39 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hey, I finally saw Donnie Darko! All the eerier still because the writer/director grew up not far from where and when both my girlfriend and I were that age. I fucking LIVED that movie...
Dr_Ordinaire
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 4:07 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"you are the george dubya of the forum. "

NOW you are getting nasty!

A joke I heard here in Uruguay:

What is the difference between George Bush and Osama Ben Laden?

One is a cowardly terrorist who would kill innocent men, women and children to pursue his political means.

The other wears a turban.
Louched_Liver
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 4:06 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ummm!
Kate Winslet! She could whip a turd in my mug!
Marccampbell
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 4:05 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

liver,

Don is not my ideal, not even close. Don is a soul brother.

Buddha is my ideal.Jesus is my ideal. Tim Leary is my ideal. John Lennon is my ideal. My wife and daughter are my ideals. And then there's Kate Winslet.
Marccampbell
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 4:04 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I would have been thrilled to see Bukowski read.
If GG Allin threw a turd in my face I would have killed him.

In cyberspace the turds that get hurled are not
real turds.
Dr_Ordinaire
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 3:59 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Marc, this is not a trick question.

How would you have reacted if you were part of Bukowski audience, or if one of GG Allin's turds have landed in your face?
Louched_Liver
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 3:57 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Marc,
The people you mention are performers whose audience was there to see exactly what they knew the were going to be doing. This is more of a party hosted graciously by Kallisti. If Donster wants to set up a website where he browbeats, throws tantrums and shit, then let him. And those that love that of him can go there and visit.
Fuck civility you say, yet you are civil. Maybe Donster was some ideal for you. He was a boor, and a bore. Love him if you wish, I didn't, and won't mourn his absence.
Marccampbell
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 3:51 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

fuck civility. civility is what fucked us up in the first place. the truth is brutal and disturbing.

make your move ordinaire. you are the george dubya of the forum.

I'm going to bed. Without drugs, this forum is intolerable.
Marccampbell
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 3:47 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

louche,

I was listening to a tape of Bukowski reading his poems in San Francisco. As he read, he kept drinking bottles of beer that he kept in a cooler next to him. The drunker he got, the nastier he got. He'd be in the middle of reading a poem and then suddenly start attacking the audience, calling them assholes and cunts. he challenged them to come up on the stage and fight him and when there were no takers he threatened to go into the audience and beat the shit out of them.
I thought of Don.
GG Allin used to shit on stage and throw it into the audience. Artaud created the theater of cruelty, a form of theater devised to fuck with the audience's head. Was it not Rimbaud who attempted to derange his reader's minds. Jim Morrison wailed about killing his father and fucking his mother. Lenny Bruce died for our sins. Lautremont, Genet and de Sade rubbed our snouts in the shit of reality. My friend Karen Finley shat yams on your mamas face in an attempt to shake up the status quo and return our bodies to the earth from whence they arose. I honor these men/women. I embrace sociopaths, assholes, lost souls, the divinely intoxicated mindfuckers who crawl out of the womb of absolute reality to shit on our complacent little world. Don Walsh may not be one of them, but he's alot closer than the tightass little poseurs that populate this sad little corner of the universe.
Dr_Ordinaire
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 3:43 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Marc:

I read what you would consider improvements:

"What do I think would improve the forum:

1. more discussions about books, music and film.

2. more prose, more poetry, more erotica

3. more women

4. less "I just ordered from SC. When will it arrive? Did you get yours yet. Oh boy I just got mine....". its so fucking boring.

5. less Betty bashing"

Very interesting. Except that "absinthe" is conspicuously absent. (Insert smiley face here)

You want to see Don in a nutshell? Go to the Food Inspection 147 thread. Read what I posted.
I provided some information about volatile oils that some people may find interesting. I asked some questions about the possibility of de-thujonizing wormwood.

Read Don's response.

Marc, there's certainly a place in this Forum for "180 lbs of Rock-and-Roll death wish". But there should be also a place for mild Swiss doctors (or newbies) who want to talk absinthe.

I'm not afraid of Don. But some people are.

Don's attacks on anybody who would not toe the Jade party line may have kept interesting people from coming here. And eventually discussing the stuff you like.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page