Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through April 15, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » Archive Thru April 2002 » Archive Thru April 2002 » TV documentary » Archive through April 15, 2002 « Previous Next »

Petermarc
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

because the rest translates as:
'not really, it tastes like shit, but i only drink it for the hallucinations...party on!'
Chevalier
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Petermarc, you wag: you didn't translate the REST of the postcard.
Chevalier
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Petermarc, that photo you posted ... it strengthens my conviction that absinthe and pipe tobacco MUST be taken together.

THAT, my friends, is the secret. If you really want to have the full, Belle Epoque, industrial-strength absinthe experience, you HAVE TO smoke a pipe as you drink. The tobacco and absinthe aromas NEED TO be mixed. It is NECESSARY!

;-)
Petermarc
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

the first line of the postcard reads:
'it is delicious, the odor and taste of this devine aperitif'
Admin
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

grep -i absinthe ../usr/hemmingway/belltolls > absintheflavortest.txt

also:

'[In] Paris where the beer is awful, it was upon absinthe that I threw myself, absinthe day and night.' - Verlaine

sort of a backhanded compliment. hehehe.
_Blackjack
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well, you can't grep a dead tree, so you are limited to quotes that can be found easily online or which are in somebody's memory. You'd probably have just as much trouble finding a quote extolling the virtues of gin or rye whiskey from the same period.

Regardless, you fail to address the facts we DO have at hand, to wit, that absinthe can clearly be made, right now, using traditional recipes, which tastes good. It isn't a by-product of aging, or the result of adding sugar or reducing wormwood content.
Larsbogart
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

It isnt Larry from the three stooges?
Baz
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

That picture reminds me of larry from the three stooges. Esp. the eyes-
Dr_Ordinaire
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"I do not understand why you insist on harping on the subject, however, when it is demonstrably false."

BJ, I wish it were demonstrably false. I'm not vested on "being right" on this.

This Forum is probably the largest repository of absinthe knowledge in the world. Doesn't it make you stop and wonder that noone has come up with a SINGLE quote praising the taste of absinthe? While I, definitely not an expert, found 4 or 5 that talk about it as not tasting good?

Sure, that doesn't "prove" anything. But maybe we should keep an open mind.
Lordhobgoblin
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yeltsin's autobiography is so bad I feel I must step in here just in case anyone decides to waste his or her money buying it.

It is an ego-centric, piece of over-exageration, clumsily written with no style or flair whatsoever. Still what would you expect from an alcoholic, cultureless, yob of a politician who just happened to be in the right place at the right time. He vastly overrates his own self-importance and his place in history.

If anyone is thinking of buying this book then don't bother.

Hobgoblin
Petermarc
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

absinthebon
Larsbogart
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

20 Bucks? Scheesh!
Boris Yeltsin wrote a book called Against the grain also. [grain alcohol]
thanks again
Now about that superhero photo. I have someone whos interested....
Etienne
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

You'll go, you have no choice now! MWAAAHAAAAAA

Till then try; www.abebooks.com
Larsbogart
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Oh I better not go, I've struggled with megolamania in the past... worse than any drug for me. Cant go home unless I spend all the money...
You wouldnt think about finding out for me would you? Actually it dont matter cause I'd never sell it.
I forgot to say thank you...thank you.
Thats you! Listen if your looking for an agent I can hook you up, I charge a one time fee, its steep but satisfaction guaranteed.
Etienne
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

A genius, he said! And here I thought I was only a little black superhero. ;-)
Etienne
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Oh my God, a virgin!

Come with me, young Grasshopper. www.ebay.com. Click on books, or whatever. In the search box, type huysmans, or whatever. There will be a lising of what's up for auction right now. Click on the listing to see the item. Before you can bid, you'll have to register, quick and easy to do. Read all the help stuff, they're great about assistance, they WANT you to spend your money.

Be warned! This is addictive and dangerous!
Larsbogart
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Etienne: Your a genius! Ok the pages are yellow but I think I was the only person who read this particular copy. Well, me and Diane Arbus.
Ok, snicker if you will...how would I find that on eBay? I've never been there in my life.
Etienne
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

See, I thought so!
Admin
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Dover Books prints a few garishly covered cheapie editions as well. Huysmans, that is ...
Etienne
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Lars;

Yes, I was talking to you. That happens to be the edition that I own. I picked it up on eBay, don't remember what I paid. They show up there fairly often. There don't seem to be too many English editions of Huysmans work. I think this is a good one. Check eBay listings, you'll get an idea of value.
Larsbogart
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Etienne:
BINGO! Blue cover. Actually, not in the worst shape, the outside spine is missing thats all. I wouldnt take it to the beach and read it though like I did in Miami a long time ago.
Those illustrations are great...thanks
Thegreenimp
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I doubt making non bitter Absinthe, is the easiest thing in the world.......is extremely bitter, Really Absinthe?
there are also descriptions like "Bottled Springtime", which make no mention of any bitterness.
Jay
_Blackjack
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Quote:

Making non-bitter absinthe is the easiest thing in the world.

The problem is...it may not be absinthe anymore...

I'm going to use Wolvie's vert as an example, because it is as close to a traditional absinthe as I've gotten, since it uses green anis, no sugar, is 140-proof and is traditionally colored. It DEFINITELY has wormwood in it. I know the smell. It is not exceedingly bitter, not by a long shot. Of course there is SOME biterness there; that's part of the charm, but it does not overpower the other flavors, or need something to mask it. It tastes good.
_Blackjack
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Quote:

BJ, how many non-smokers you know who toke? Do they do it for the taste?

Not comperable, for obvious reasons. The effects of absinthe are not so different from those of any other high-proof beverage that people would SIP it en masse if it tasted awful. If it was traditionaly choked down as shots, or mixed so thuroughly with another strong flavor that it was masked, I ight buy it. But people mixed it with WATER, and sometimes, not always, sugar, and sat around sipping it. That would seem to indicate they enjoyed the flavor.

Quote:

Have you been appointed Don's successor? Turning any argument into a personal attack?

Fair enough. I apologize. I do not understand why you insist on harping on the subject, however, when it is demonstrably false. While you might be able to claim that vintage absinthe has been so changed by time that it has gone from awful to sublime, this doesn't account for the various bootleggers (working from old recipes, not analysis of vintage samples) who have made gallons of the stuff which is quite tasty.
Larsbogart
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ill check. Unfortunately it hasnt got much life left to it, are you talking to me?
Would that make it worth money?
be right back

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page