Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Absinthe in World War II Germany

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » Archive Thru April 2002 » Absinthe in World War II Germany « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through April 17, 2002Chevalier25 4-17-02  11:08 am
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Pablo
Posted on Friday, April 19, 2002 - 4:04 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

OH. OK. MY MISTAKE. I THOUGHT IT WAS A BAN ON ALL ALCOHOL (THE ANTITHISIS OF WHAT GERMANS ARE ALL ABOUT!)
Absinthedrinker
Posted on Friday, April 19, 2002 - 3:59 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Could this have had anything to do with the German army removing copper from the copper stills and returning it to Germany for melting down? This did happen to stills in Pontarlier.
Tabreaux
Posted on Thursday, April 18, 2002 - 8:32 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

It is noted in Conrad's book that on August 23, 1940, a law was passed under German occupation that banned all spirit-based aperitifs. This was not a ban on beer, wine, or wine products, but rather on distilled spirits. With regard to more specific documentation as to why, I have no additional information.
Pablo
Posted on Wednesday, April 17, 2002 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm not sure where you heard that spirits were banned in WW2 ocupied France, but I believe that is false.
The Germans didn't ban alcohol in any of the occupied areas, at least not as a policy. What the individual commanders did may have been another story, but I know that in several areas the Germans actually supplied booze to the locals. Keep them drunk and happy.
That may also be why there were so few actual resistance fighters in France. (I know, every whore who gave a german soldier the clap claimed the be in the resistance after the war, but in reality, france gave the germans the least problems of almost any of their occupied areas)
Thegreenimp
Posted on Wednesday, April 17, 2002 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The few that were shot down got caught when the fuel was spent......even worse was landing with stuck launch wheels.
Good thing the US killed our own little flying wing version (Nitric Acid fuel)
Jay
Mr_Rabid
Posted on Wednesday, April 17, 2002 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well- I wouldn't want to take a hit in one... granted, you are going to fast for the other aircraft of your era to have MUCH of a chance, but one random round or bit of flak and you get to go to hell a minute before you go to hell.
Tabreaux
Posted on Wednesday, April 17, 2002 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The volatility of the fuels was a major problem with that little rocket plane, and several exploded in rather spectacular fashion. The other problem was the possibility of forgetting to lower the shock-absorbing skid upon landing, which resulted in a few broken backs (ugh). Nevertheless, the surviving footage indicates that little machine to be one heck of a ride.
Thegreenimp
Posted on Wednesday, April 17, 2002 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yes,
There was one Komet pilot who was trapped in a flipped Komet......a feed line from one of the tanks broke.......he had no skin left when they pulled his body from the plane.
Jay
Admin
Posted on Wednesday, April 17, 2002 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"hydrazine peroxide" keeps me blemish free, and my skin young and supple.
Wormwood
Posted on Wednesday, April 17, 2002 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The Czech Hill's absinth is already called S-Stoff by most who taste it. The Germans did not employ any Hills or nerve gases during the war because of the Geneva convention.

I saw an interview with a Komet pilot on the History channel, that hydrazine peroxide mix was powerful stuff and they used it in rocket planes and JATO boosters, not the V weapons. He mixed one drop of C-Stoff and T-Stoff in a hubcab and the fireball was about 4 ft high.

The V-1 was propelled by an air breating pulse jet. The V-2 was a rocket which burned ethanol/liquid oxygen.
Thegreenimp
Posted on Wednesday, April 17, 2002 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I once read of an unfortunate mechanic that poured a pail full of the former into barrel full of the latter......after the Ka-Boom!, They found his remains spread thinly around the shed.
I believe more pilots were killed in opperations, than in combat of that little beast.
Fun stuff
Jay
Tabreaux
Posted on Wednesday, April 17, 2002 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Not only do I understand, but I kept a drum of each for awhile.......at OPPOSITE ends of the facility.
Thegreenimp
Posted on Wednesday, April 17, 2002 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ted,
A perfect name for Czech Absinthe....... T-Stoff & C-Stoff...(I'm sure you understand)........Having visted a nice Me-163 tucked away in Maryland
Jay

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page