Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Book review of Tuhafat al-Falasifa (T...

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » Archive Thru April 2002 » Book review of Tuhafat al-Falasifa (The Incoherence of the Philosophers) by Abu Hamid Ibn Muhammad Ibn Muhammad al-Tusi al-Shafi'i al-Ghazali « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through April 16, 2002Larsbogart25 4-16-02  1:23 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Mvario
Posted on Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques60.asp
Dr_Ordinaire
Posted on Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"winemaking being a process of careful development and skill known only to the instructed, "

Now, maybe we can have Chryssipus connect this with alchemy....
Marccampbell
Posted on Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

you can get a similar buzz by doing what the Whirling Dervishes do; spin around in circles real fast. Its a cheap high but it works.
Mr_Carfax
Posted on Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thank you Marc- that's the term I was looking for in my decaffeinated state.

Hmmm, can I compare the experience of God to a freshly roasted and brewed expresso macchiato?
Chevalier
Posted on Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well, then, "profane bliss" must describe the intoxication of being at one with the bottle.
Marccampbell
Posted on Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"divine intoxication" is a term used by Sufis to describe the bliss of being one with God.
Chevalier
Posted on Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

What does THAT have to do with Wheeler and Woolsey?

;-)
Mr_Carfax
Posted on Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Dr O

With regards to your question on Sufi references to wine and alcohol- just going from memory of an Idries Shah book on Sufism that I have somewhere, but I believe the symbology centres around "God" being viewed as like the grape, commonly eaten by the masses- but winemaking being a process of careful development and skill known only to the instructed, not unlike the path of Sufism, and the enebriation from wine being like the enebriation of the realisation and experience of God in the most spiritual sense.

I guess while alcohol is forbidden within the Islamic faith - Idries Shah makes the point that Sufism is not a branch of Islam per se- rather that Sufism as a tradition has taken refuge within Islam.
Mvario
Posted on Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Nice gams.
Dr_Ordinaire
Posted on Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ah, the good old times...

Before silicone...

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page