Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Peter, get out of paris before it is ...

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » Archive Thru April 2002 » Peter, get out of paris before it is too late... « Previous Next »

Absinthespoon
Posted on Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Nah- it just gets a job as an airport security screener.
(did I say that?)
Dr_Ordinaire
Posted on Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"If you take an ant from San Francisco and put it in with ants in Tijuana, they will accept it as their own."

Maybe, but the reverse is not true. If you get an ant from Tijuana and take it to San Francisco...it gets deported.
Verawench
Posted on Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Europe stands united, at last...
Absinthespoon
Posted on Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 7:23 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

We have the same thing on the West Coast. From Baja California to Canada (if I remember correctly) the ants are considered one supercolony. If you take an ant from San Francisco and put it in with ants in Tijuana, they will accept it as their own. If the ant were from a different colony, they would attack and kill it.
Dr_Ordinaire
Posted on Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 2:34 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

They covered 3600 miles in 80 years. That's 4.5 miles a year.

These are not ants, but greyhounds...
Petermarc
Posted on Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 12:37 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

>However, in the long run the very cooperation that seems to make them successful could lead to the supercolony's self-destruction, he suggested.

>That's because in such a giant colony many workers are unrelated to the queens they help to raise. "Thus, in the long term, selection should decrease the altruistic behavior of workers," he said, because their efforts are not helping transmit copies of their genes via related queens.

these are actually quotes from the ant-aryan 'mein kampf' and anti-communist manifesto which is being transmitted by our 'true' queen of the european union...long live the 'true queen!'
now, if you will excuse me, a strange worker from another office has entered my cubicle and i must now fight him to the death...
absinthe sugared? is there any other way?
Marccampbell
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

no word from petermarc.
it may be too late.
Mr_Carfax
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

In the words of Kent Brockman

"And I for one welcome our new insect overlords"

But Justin, where are the underground sugar caves?
Chrysippvs
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/science/04/15/super.antcolonies.ap/index.html

run, run as fast as you can!

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page