Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through April 15, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » Archive Thru April 2002 » Forum Etiquette Update » Archive through April 15, 2002 « Previous Next »

Larsbogart
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"the good that Don
has done remains: in archive posts and in the minds of folks
who have learned from and enjoyed him at his best."

Chevalier, Im glad someone said it. When I came here, alot of you loved Don. He answered your questions happily and could be quite funny.
I think he never liked what I contributed but he was gracious enough to ignore me. Thats was cool.
What happened the other night was really ugly. It was like his head exploded and it made me feel awful. At one point I thought it would be best for Kallisti to shut it all down. It was a blood bath.
Like someone said, life goes on. Don wasnt happy here anymore. Thats the last you'll hear about it from me. But who cares what the hell I think?
Marccampbell
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Justin,

I do. punk.
Chrysippvs
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"I wonder how long Rimbaud, Baudelaire, Bukowski,
de Sade, Hunter Thompson, Jim Morrison or Sid Vicious would last in our cyber bar?"

who cares?
Chevalier
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Point taken, Dr. O.
Dr_Ordinaire
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"I wouldn't feel this way if I were Dr. O,..."

Chev, pray don't think for me.

I do believe that Don was (is) the brightest person in this Forum. I would bet anything that his IQ is off the scale.

I, for one, would welcome him back as long as he understands that there are CERTAIN RULES you just don't break.

Not many. Kallisti is a an easy Gothess.

But some. So we all feel safe here, even when we are hating each other guts. And saying so.
Marccampbell
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

chevalier,

yer right. Don leaves a considerable legacy here.
when certain nameless pretenders, poseurs and parasites are long gone, he will still be remembered.

I wonder how long Rimbaud, Baudelaire, Bukowski,
de Sade, Hunter Thompson, Jim Morrison or Sid Vicious would last in our cyber bar?
I think there are some personalities that simply cannot adjust to the constraints of civility.
Robertsmith
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

hey people,
if it wasn't for the admin, we wouldn't have this stinkin website to complain about in the first place, and then we'd just spend all our time drinking our absinthe and seducing hot little vixens with our Bond-like Absinthe aquiring resourcefulness instead of babbling like wanker cybergeeks about tea and whether or not thujone matters and writing "fuck" with happy faces, so I would personally like to thank Kallisti for giving us all the opportunity to make a bunch of stinking jackasses out of ourselves, because otherwise we'd just be a bunch of one-testicled alcoholics with no one to listen to us....
fuck you fuck balls :)
Chevalier
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Don has left his stamp on this place. He's also one of the two people in charge of making Jade. Take these two points together, and you have someone who gets his own page in the WHO'S WHO BOOK OF ABSINTHE. (What, haven't you received your copy yet?)

He'll probably be back, but even if not, the good that Don has done remains: in archive posts and in the minds of folks who have learned from and enjoyed him at his best. I wouldn't feel this way if I were Dr. O, Timk, and Artemis, for starters. But I can't speak for them, only for myself.
Admin
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Marc, I happen to agree with you on that one. But Don also knew what he was doing. After the initial deleted post his next one was "And Admin, do you really think I give a fuck about being "expelled" from the cesspool that this place has become?"

Don had his say, and knew the consequences for doing so.
Admin
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I've always been open to suggestion and criticism. Many if not all the changes around here were sparked by folks filling up my email box with complaints. I'm certainly the last person I think everyone should agree with.

Except my rules, hehee ... the should have been up from day one, just never thought there was a need. Well, that bit me in the ass. But I think all ya'll know I'm no power freak.
Marccampbell
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

shit, that sounded like a eulogy.
Marccampbell
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

the shame of it is is that Don was a source for so much interesting information. his knowledge
was vast, deep and wildly esoteric. I really hated the paranoid fuck in the beginning, but I came to develop a weird affection for him.
this place is going to be less interesting without him. more civil? perhaps. safer? maybe.
but definitely not as interesting. Big Mango Don is one of a kind.
Dr_Ordinaire
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yeah, Chev, you are right.

I guess, this being sort of a disfunctional family, we all know by now which buttons to push.
Chevalier
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I agree with you, Marc; some decisions that Kallisti makes should not be taken lying down. What that means to me is that I tell her what I think about them. ("Hey Kallisti -- bring back the cushions, your living room floor's too damn cold to sit on. What is that, concrete?") As an optimist, I assume that she'll read what I say and decide if it has any merit. If yes, then it may affect her future decisions. If no, well, ain't life a bitch? We agree to disagree until the next time.

But Marc, this theme of "rudeness" /"betrayal of privacy"/"censorship" vs. Don vs. Dr. O vs. Don vs. Timk vs. Don vs. Dr. O, and on and on ... it never ends, nothing heals and nothing is gained.
Tabreaux
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Debates are fine. When they degrade to stupidity, I just ignore. Quite frankly however, I've had it with the repeated opportunistic personal attacks, cyberthreats, and baiting.
Marccampbell
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

chevalier,

Don's expulsion from the forum has at least generated an interesting debate on forum ethics.
To me, this is important shit, it goes to the heart of freedom of speech, right to privacy, the power of the internet etc. I'm not going to pretend that I am not disturbed by all of this in an effort to keep the peace. None of these posts are flames. Heated debate often invigorates the forum.
Dr_Ordinaire
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"I'll be in San Francisco next week. "

Err, I'll be in Punta del Este, Uruguay next week.

Can we fight via fax, or e-mail?
Dr_Ordinaire
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Fine by me. Peace, Marc.
Marccampbell
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

ordinaire,

I can see where this is heading. Out of respect for kallisti, I'm going to back off for the moment. We can continue this discussion in person, if you'd like. I'll be in San Francisco next week.
Ready to rock?
Chevalier
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Has everyone gone nuts? I keep hearing the ghost of the Staticburst troll saying "I WIN". Too many people here want to "WIN". Know what? Nobody's going to "WIN". Sure, you -- Dr. O, Marccampbell, whoever -- may sway some opinions several degrees your way. But so what, when in the process you are turning off plenty of others and using the forum as a prize ring for a never-ending, repetitive, unsolvable feud?

I've defended Don in the past. I think that Don is who he is, no one here can "change" him; and if you want what good he offers, you'll just have to deal with the bombasts too. Unless you decide to chuck the whole package altogether, having decided that the bad outweighs the good. None of us (well, almost none) is the Forum moderator, thank God, so we don't have to make such decisions. But we CAN decide what to post, who to respond to, and how.

Dr. O, Marc, why not leave each other be? Why not take a leaf from Timk, who's been rather judicious and said relatively little in this thread.
Dr_Ordinaire
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Speaking of being dishonest, if you had merely said that you disliked my absinthe, I would have bought it.

But your "three friends" theatricals, "waving their hands", "asking for water", some day, Marc, I'm going to make you look like the fucking fool you are over this.
Marccampbell
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'll agree with the "rank" part.
Dr_Ordinaire
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Marc, I wanted to "dominate this Forum" I would not have started by stating from the very beginning that I was NOT a chemist, NOT a distiller, just a rank amateur.

I have no intention of being an idol, I just enjoy tipping false ones.
Marccampbell
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I don't know all of the facts. I have communicated with Don thru e-mail for the past few years and he never offered me any personal information on anyone.

If Don did divulge personal and private info in an effort to do someone harm then, yes, he should be expelled.
Admin
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

marc, just a quick question. do you honestly think that after volunteering someone's vital information to anyonewho asked and offering ALL KINDS of other personal information on someone else, that Don deserves to stay here?

honest, it's fine if you do. but I just want to hear it plain and simple style.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page