Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through April 16, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » Archive Thru April 2002 » * NSYNC » Archive through April 16, 2002 « Previous Next »

Marccampbell
Posted on Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 1:07 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have the Syd Barrett box set. Sadly, alot of his songs are awful.
Rimbaud
Posted on Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 1:07 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Crowlyman,

I am a HUGE Syd fan! The Madcap Laughs is one of my all-time favorite albums. Barrett (2nd solo album) was pretty damn good as well. I've read a bit about the Hives but haven't heard any yet. I'll have to check 'em out...
Crowlyman
Posted on Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 12:55 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Rimbaud, if you want that 2 or maybe 3 chord thing, check out The Hives. They seem to have that thing...or at least for the first half of their CD! The last few songs I'm a bit iffy about.

Of course, in the back of my mind is the poor delightful Syd Barrett. Great music, very melodic and somewhat insane.
Marccampbell
Posted on Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 12:26 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

The Frogs would be good for their outrageous lyrics alone, but they also write great melodies.
Some of their shit is almost Beatlesque. I saw them live as well. One of the guys in the band was dressed up like a big green fairy or something. mock and roll.
Rimbaud
Posted on Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Marc,

I've been hearing about "...Trail Of Dead" for a couple of years now, but have yet to catch an earful. I'll have to track down a sound sample on the net somewhere. The Frogs are hilarious! Saw 'em play live back in '94...
Marccampbell
Posted on Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

rimbaud,

White Stripes are probably my favorite band of the moment. I'm also digging "and you will know us by the trail of dead". They have a great guitar soound and some of the epic quality of early Radiohead. I also dig Moldy Peaches and The Frogs.
Rimbaud
Posted on Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Meat,

I do have Raw Power (original version). It's the first Stooges album I ever bought, and while I do like it a whole lot, I prefer Funhouse and the self-titled. The songs on Raw Power are great, but it does indeed sound like a bootleg. I've heard that the remixed version is no great improvement. It's a fucking shame...

~Rimbaud
Marccampbell
Posted on Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 12:10 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

andrew wk is the son of a law professor who teaches at a major university. andrew is certainly no inbreed. he's real smart. he's created a rock and roll persona that is as shrewdly and wittily conceived as The Ramones, Ziggy, Iggy and The NY Dolls. He's the ultimate mouthbreathing metalhead who just wants to PARTY!
Its an act. And I find it very entertaining.

meat nipples,
Iggy/Jim is a friend of mine going back to the early '80s. He's one of the sweetest, low key people you'll ever meet. But, once he gets on stage he is transformed. Its a Jekyll and Hyde thing.
Rimbaud
Posted on Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I love raw, primal, two-chord (okay, maybe three) rock n'roll, when it has that certain intangable "thing" that makes it so powerful. And that "thing" is very important. It's the difference between an ordinary garage band and someone like the Ramones or the Sex Pistols or The Stooges. The White Stripes are a perfect recent example. I just don't think Andrew WK has that special "thing."
Meat_Nipples
Posted on Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Rimbaud, you mentioned that you liked the first two stooges albums. I am a huge Iggy fan. If you haven't already you really need to check out Raw Power (the remixed version). The recording quality is terrible, but I honestly think that if it weren’t for this flaw it would have gone done as one of the greatest rock albums ever. The songs are amazing, and iggy's voice is so energetic and deliberately mindless, more so than on any other of his albums, imo. It seems that people here have similar musical tastes. Nick Drake's music is absolutely beautiful. I never tire of him. And Andrew WK, well, his senselessness is not nearly as sophisticated as iggys, but I do like to party hard. Andrew WK gets my vote as the most likely to be in-breed rock artist of 2002. In these here parts of eastern MD, I see enough of them to know. Seriously…
Aion
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hah, Steely Dan,
must dig out Don Fagen´s album
"the Nightfly", that was really cool!
A.
Marccampbell
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I think its a good sign that andrew wk puts off so many people. he must be doing something right.
I rememeber when I bought the first Ramones album in 1976. This was the era of Steely Dan and
Yes. When I played The Ramones for my musician friends they absolutely hated it. It was too primitive, too simpleminded, not crafty enough.
They felt the same way about The Clash and The Pistols. Unfortunately these musicians were in my band. I kept at them. Forced them to listen to Iggy, The Stranglers, The Cramps etc. I started writing songs that expressed my own primitive feelings. I started playing guitar (up until then I was just a singer). My guitar playing was lousy and it forced the guys in the band to dumb down.
In late '76 we were asked to open for The Ramones in a small club in Denver. After our set we went into the audience to watch Joey and the brothers
play. It was a religious experience. 1,2,3,4...fast, simple catchy tunes played with superhuman intensity. Bliss. From that day forward, my bandmates were punk converts.
GABBA GABBA HEY! PARTY HARD!
Rimbaud
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I like the Strokes.
I like the White Stripes.
I like BRMC.
I absolutely adore Nick Drake.
And nothing gets my blood pumpin' like the first two Stooges albums.
But I cannot stand that Andrew WK guy. Yeeeeech!
Marccampbell
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

andrew wk is in the grand tradition of headbangers like Slade, Iggy, Motorhead and
The Kinks (the You Really Got Me era).

There are times when the last thing I want is well-crafted rock and roll. And when I want some crafty stuff I'll listen to Roxy Music or Nick Drake.
Crowlyman
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Did you see him on SNL? The guys in his band are all hair-band hangers-on. I especially liked to laugh at the one guitarist with the red Hawaiian shirt, navy blue shorts, dark socks and (i think) white high top sneakers. If you mean good dumb fun in the sense that one might think to himself, "Wow, they sound AND look terrible! I must keep watching so that I might sleep at night after having a good laugh."
Good dumb fun to me is Britney Spears. Her music sucks but at least I can look at her. Good dumb fun is License to Ill by the Beasties.
I'm sorry Marc, but the music wasn't even very well crafted. They had to have 2 guitarists playing nearly the same rythm and chord progression(regression?).
Oh, and there was a piano. Maybe that is what legitamizes it as music? Of course the guy playing was less inspiring than Helfgot on a bad schizoassociative day.

Again, sorry Marc, I didnt mean to hop aboard the box here.
Marccampbell
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

andrew wk is good dumb fun. The bastard son of Lemmy and The Ramones.
Crowlyman
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

BRMC is cool. White Stripes are cool. Andrew W.K. is possibly the worst shit I have ever heard. The Hives are cool. Of course Radiohead and Bjork are cool. I don't have anything against The Strokes. Faust is cool too.
Marccampbell
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

abelard,

please e-mail me. click on my name and it will direct you to my e-mail address. of course, feel free to ignore this.

Marc
Abelard
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The Mooney Suzuki Rock!!!!..
and The Vynes from Oz!
Marccampbell
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The Strokes are fab. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club sounds like bad Pink Floyd. My faves are White Stripes and Andrew WK.
Verawench
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

But what do I know.
Verawench
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The Strokes, who cares if they're accused of being sellouts? They rock too. Saw them live on Letterman, their tempered rage was real.
Verawench
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

B(lack) R(ebel) M(otorcycle) C(lub) rock. They played at #'s in Houston a little while back.
Louched_Liver
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Put your head between your knees and breathe deep.
Amnesiac
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm so proud. Just seeing *NSYNC as a conversation amidst all the other conversations is fucking hilarious to me. It's too funny. It really is. (Many of you probably disagree. But you've gotta admit. Who'd have thought you'd ever see a topic entitled *NSYNC??? I mean, c'mon!!!!)

God I'm bored.

So...

fucking...

bored...
Amnesiac
Posted on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Just wanted to rile people up with the title.

Oh- and I just wanted to do this:

* NSYNC- HAHAHAHAHAH!!!!

Musicians? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Pop? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

(Oh- Rimbaud- I just picked up BRMC and I especially like #3 (the punk rock n' roll song.)

* NSYNC- HAHAHAHAH!!!!!

"If *NSYNC drinks Absinthe in their hotel rooms and nobody is there to see it, does *NSYNC really drink Absinthe?"

"No. They drink milk. They're a bunch of underage louts."

"Who cares."

Right on, mate. Right on.

(Just talking to myself again. Carry on amongst yourselves.)

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page