Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through April 16, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » Archive Thru April 2002 » * NSYNC » Archive through April 16, 2002 « Previous Next »

Meat_Nipples
Posted on Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have never spent more than a half hour, 45 minutes at most, total in a day on this forum. The rest of my day consists of school work and drinking, in no particular order. Those two activities may count as "nothing". I don't really mind though.
Meat_Nipples
Posted on Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Probably a little less than most of the people on this forum.
Larsbogart
Posted on Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Meat nipples, dont get mad, but how much time would you say you spend on just nothing?
Meat_Nipples
Posted on Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

That is one of Syd's most melancholy songs. I may just put that on now...
Meat_Nipples
Posted on Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

But alas, in case it is worrying anyone: absinthe is not a drug, the alcohol it contains is, but that is probably about it. Why do I like it? It's history and the fact that I find it extremely drinkable in terms of flavor, consistency, etc (except for the price of course). Plus I like the buzz I get from it. Do the herbs have something to do with this? Maybe. Wormwood, probably not, because I enjoy the buzz I get off pastis almost equally if I drink enough. Though it is hard to find good pastis at my local liquor store (Pernod and Ricard are about it). The higher proof of absinthe just gets me there quicker (I almost always prefer the 65-70% absinthes).
Rimbaud
Posted on Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Jugband Blues" is my favorite Syd-era Pink Floyd song. I prefer it to anything off Piper at the Gates of Dawn. Especially the end part:

"And the sea isn't green,
And I love the queen,
And what exactly is a dream?,
And what exactly is a joke?"
Meat_Nipples
Posted on Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Marc, that sounds like either DPT or 5meo-dmt. I can honestly say that I have sampled nearly all the psychedelic substances available in this country excluding peyote. 2cb, a handful of different tryptamines (all of which are beautiful compounds), LSD, psilocybin mushrooms, etc. I think I am a very sane individual. I am not a very academic person but I hold a 3.8 gpa at my university (third year, full-time), so I am still centered in the "real-world".

Alcohol has caused many more problems for me than my past drug use. People that go off the deep end from drugs were probably bound to become schizophrenic anyways. The rate of schizophrenia has shown no relationship to the rate of psychedelic drug use, at any point in history. Maybe schizos have an innate interest in drugs and then their powerful drug experiences hasten the onset of their symptoms? Who knows, but I agree with Marc that psychedelics can offer some wonderful, life-changing experiences.

And oh yea, Syd was a great artist, the first two Pink Floyd albums are amazing. "Jug Band Blues" is one of my favorites.
Larsbogart
Posted on Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 8:14 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Marijuana contains over 300 alkaloids and compounds, some of which, like CBD or cannabidiol, balance the effects of the single alkaloid THC. THC is active but so is CBD- it mitagates the dosorienting affects of the THC. The excellence of the herb is in a subtle balance of its hundreds of ingredients. To call one active and all others inactive is typical lab nerd hubris.
THC, compared to fine herb, is like pure alcohol to a fine '82 Bordeaux. Life is suppose to be complex, even for alkaloids. Save your seed and let in the bees. Hemp seeds need love too. And by the way, if smoking makes you paranoid, remember what William Burroughs said:
"A Paranoid Is A Man With The Facts".
-Glenn O'Brien
Marccampbell
Posted on Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 2:10 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

man do I dig that.

A couple of years ago I smoked one of the newly developed tryptamines. The first small toke took me into a beautifully blissful state, the next toke hurled me into a rushing, churning, surging death trip. I got up from where I was sitting and staggered into the kitchen. I looked at the refridgerator. It was a humming white obelisk of pure electric energy and I was convinced it was the last thing I was ever going to see before leaving this mortal coil. In that moment, the refridgerator seemed profoundly comforting to me.
I was about to die and Westinghouse would be my last memory of my life on Earth. Not my wife, not a sunset, not some voice from the heavens. No. A big white humming electric device would be the last image I carried with me into the bardo.

2 minutes later I was back in the "real" world. Fine as fine can be. With one catch. I love refridgerators. They're cool. zen cool. cosmic cool. and they keep my beer cool.
Rimbaud
Posted on Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 2:01 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

> rimbaud,

i'll be in NYC in late may. let's hook up.

Sounds good, Marc. I gotta hit the sack now, as it's 5AM here. Catch ya later!
Rimbaud
Posted on Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 1:58 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

>the death trips contain the deepest teachings. why? because they help you to appreciate being alive while giving you a kind of zen detachment.

This is true. It definitely gives you some serious perspective on the trivialities that so many people find important, but are actually just inconsequential bullshit. And I definitely feel that sense of detatchment since my experience, although I found it disturbing at first. It took me a while to integrate it into my normal "reality."
Marccampbell
Posted on Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 1:55 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

rimbaud,

i'll be in NYC in late may. let's hook up.
Rimbaud
Posted on Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 1:52 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

>The little calloused nub on your brain that you call Rimbaud is actually a very tiny portion of who you really are.

Actually, I call it "Greg". Only you guys and gals on the forum call it "Rimbaud". Marc, when you're back in NY, drop me a line. We should meet up for a drink at the Rodeo Bar. But Phil Hummer has got to be playing!

~Greg
Marccampbell
Posted on Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 1:49 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

been there done that. the death trips contain the deepest teachings. why? because they help you to appreciate being alive while giving you a kind of zen detachment. Yeah, I died, so what?
Rimbaud
Posted on Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 1:44 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Profound is definitely the word for my last LSD experience. Unfortunately in a negative sense. I don't regret it, though. I guess it was that damn Ego death thing that I couldn't handle. I certainly wasn't prepared for what happened that night when compared with my previous experience with acid. Could be the fact that I took double my usual dose, as well as smoked quite a bit of pot while awaiting lift-off...
Marccampbell
Posted on Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 1:44 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

rimbaud,

I went thru some extraodinarily freaky acid trips.
But, as Tim Leary said, if you haven't had a death trip than you didn't take enough acid. With LSD the whole idea is to shatter one's ego. To destroy the borders between this and that. In that state of openness and egolessness there is a fear that comes from a loss of self control. The little calloused nub on your brain that you call Rimbaud is actually a very tiny portion of who you really are. Faced with the vastness of your total being, you bet your ass you're gonna freak.

By the way, my last acid trip was in 1972 in Santa Cruz California during an earthquake. whooopeeeeee
Marccampbell
Posted on Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 1:37 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

crowly,

in the mid '60s I was tripping 4 or 5 times a week. Good stuff; Sandoz, Owsley. Thru all the ego deaths and white light experiences, I never lost my ability to navigate so-called reality.
There was a tiny handful of acidheads who completely lost it, but they would have probably lost it anyway, with or without LSD. I am a champion of the psychedelic experience. It was a profound wake up call for me. I think we need to explore these realms now more than ever.
Rimbaud
Posted on Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 1:36 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

As far as Syd goes, I think heavy acid use sort of acted like a catalyst for the schizophrenia that was lying dormant inside him. It's very sad what happened to him.
Rimbaud
Posted on Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 1:32 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I used to enjoy a hit now and again. And then...THE BAD TRIP. Seriously dark shit. The most frightening experience of my life. I was convinced that I had gone mad. Anyway, I haven't touched it since. It's been nine years since I've had any psychedelics. I don't think I'll ever take any again. I can't even handle more than a toke off a joint anymore. It seems to me that the bad acid experience made me more sensitive to certain aspects of the marajuana high that I now find unpleasurable. Well, that's that.
Crowlyman
Posted on Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 1:26 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

As for the LSD and Syd...it's not like he just couldn't handle it. He just couldn't handle 10 hits at a time 10 nights in a row! I think that would drive anyone mad. Apparently he was ALWAYS on that shit.
Once in awhile is ok, but to abuse it as he did, well you would be asking for trouble. I guess.
Crowlyman
Posted on Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 1:22 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

To each his own brother.
I guess that settles that.

Like I said before, I really didn't mean to hop on the soapbox. I just got caught in an awful mood. The painting I was working on turned into a fucking mess. Pisses me off.
Marccampbell
Posted on Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 1:19 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

crowly,

while you thought andrew wk's band looked like a bunch of dweebs, I thought they looked hilarious in a really cool way. Of course fashion is subjective.

PARTY HARD!
Marccampbell
Posted on Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 1:16 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

some people just couldn't handle LSD. As for me, no problem
Crowlyman
Posted on Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 1:16 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yeah, Syd was off and on, but when he was on...

And his songs can't be as awful as Andrew WK! ;)
Rimbaud
Posted on Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 1:14 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

The Madcap Laughs is a great album. After that, he kinda lost the plot, which sometimes made for interesting material...but not always.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page