Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Film Forum

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » Archive Thru April 2002 » Film Forum « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through April 18, 2002Marccampbell25 4-18-02  2:12 am
Archive through April 18, 2002Louched_Liver25 4-18-02  8:32 pm
Archive through April 18, 2002Marccampbell25 4-18-02  11:55 pm
Archive through April 20, 2002Joalco25 4-20-02  9:59 am
Archive through April 23, 2002Kafkapie25 4-23-02  1:36 pm
Archive through April 24, 2002Head_Prosthesis25 4-24-02  8:25 pm
Archive through April 25, 2002Nolan25 4-25-02  9:47 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Marccampbell
Posted on Saturday, May 18, 2002 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

ABOUT A BOY.

I highly recommend this witty and compassionate film. Its based on a book by Nick Hornby (High Fidelity) and stars Hugh Grant. Now I know Grant ain't most people's cup of tea, but he's very good in this. As is Toni Collette as a
"daft fucking hippie". If you are in the mood for
a movie that is both hilarious and tender, check this one out. If you're a fan of Wes Anderson's films (Rushmore, The Royal Tenenbaums), you'll probably enjoy ABOUT A BOY.
Chevalier
Posted on Friday, April 26, 2002 - 6:57 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Speaking of car crashes ... Canadian David Cronenberg's CRASH. More slick than edgy. Preferred SCANNERS and DEAD RINGERS. NAKED LUNCH was palatable.

THE PIANO TEACHER. I saw the unedited version, Petermarc. Still found Huppert's character too repulsive to sympathize with, reluctantly or otherwise.

Only loved one David Lynch movie: ERASERHEAD. And one Tarantino flick: RESERVOIR DOGS. I thought that PULP FICTION cleverly borrowed from Malory's "Morte d'Arthur" grail accounts -- i.e., the "grail" was in the briefcase -- but its Hollywood gloss mucked things up.

For my money, short films (like short stories) are usually more expressive and experimental than their full-length cousins.
Marccampbell
Posted on Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I like THE DEEP END.

spoiler alert!
but the ending at the car crash with Tilda weeping
as the blackmailer dies seems preposterous.

THE DEEP END is like a Hitchcock film with a Douglas Sirk style melodramatic soap opera ending.
Admin
Posted on Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I just finished watching The Deep End. If the sun hadn't been so bright, I coulda sworn it was film noir.

also, Tilda Swinton has napped in my bed.

Sigh ... I'll never get over that.

And speaking of Tilda, how about my favorite art fucker film maker, Derek Jarman. Jubilee, Carravaggio & Edward II ... I feel like I can see inside Jarman's head when I watch his films.
Marccampbell
Posted on Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

A new film by FUNNY GAMES director Michael Haneke
has just been released, THE PIANIST starring Isabelle Huppert. Its the story of a sexually repressed music teacher with a dark kinky side.
Blue
Posted on Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

MC Film, I'm surprised. While I was completely taken aback and stunned by Funny Games, Panic Room reminded me horribly of The Game. I imagine long, drunk conversations with DP's that ended up in indulgent and trivial filmmaking.

Panic Room is everything that Funny Games is railing against. Well, that's not true. The godforsaken "The Cell" is. But PR is walking down the same road.

Boogie Nights -- I'm with you on the that one, absolutely. Rock solid. I heard William Macy say that he loved that Anderson left in his flub about "my wife's ass in his cock"

Yu Tu Mama's playing down the street. Looking forward to it, on your recommendation.
Joalco
Posted on Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm not familiar with Funny Games... I'll have to look into it, as I quite enjoyed Panic Room.

Just checked out Ron Mann's Grass last weekend as well. A funny, funny pseudo-documentary that would make a kick-ass double feature with any one of the "Educational Archives" discs that have been released recently...

Next month they're putting out a Driver's Ed disc...

"BLOOD --- ON THE ASPHALT!!!"
Nolan
Posted on Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

maybe this is better,http://www.markbell.com/
Marccampbell
Posted on Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

FUNNY GAMES is a very intense psychological thriller that PANIC ROOM reminded me of.

joalco,

yes I saw HARD EIGHT and liked it very much.
BOOGIE NIGHTS is my favorite of anderson's flicks.
Verawench
Posted on Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yeah, you've posted this crap before. Must you rehash it?

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page