Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

What's your favorite deadly u.s. mili...

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » Archive Thru April 2002 » Archive Thru April 2002 » What's your favorite deadly u.s. military mishap? « Previous Next »

Pablo
Posted on Monday, April 22, 2002 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

(takles the caps lock off)

Sorry.
Wormwood
Posted on Sunday, April 21, 2002 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I vote for the highest ranking officer on the beach at Normandy in WWII. Killed when a US heavy bomber dumped its entire payload on his position by accident.
Mr_Rabid
Posted on Friday, April 19, 2002 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

He's ex-military.

Put the CAPS on the list.
_Blackjack
Posted on Friday, April 19, 2002 - 7:36 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

OK, this all-caps thing seems to be spreading. Stop it. It is hard on the eyes and difficult to read, and it makes it seem like you are shouting.
Nascentvirion
Posted on Friday, April 19, 2002 - 6:40 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Oops forgot to include Nagisaki & Hiroshima
Nascentvirion
Posted on Friday, April 19, 2002 - 6:39 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

What about the atomic bomb tests on US troops in the Pacific and New Mexico ??
Wolfgang
Posted on Friday, April 19, 2002 - 5:56 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

...And our senil prime minister will say that it's all ok and that's normal...Damn ! Now half of our army is dead !

war1 war2 war3
Pablo
Posted on Friday, April 19, 2002 - 4:00 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

GOOD POINT. FUCK TERRORISM. IM SCARED OF THE MILITARY.

AFTER I GOT OFF ACTIVE DUTY IN THE ARMY, AND I WAS PUT INTO A NASTY GUARD UNIT, I HAD ONE OF THE SCARIEST EXPERIENCES IN MY LIFE.
WE WERE GOING TO DO OUR 2 WEEKS OF A/T IN HAWII (THE ONLY GOOD PART) AND WERE BOARDING A C-160 AT EDWARDS AFB. I NOTICED ON THE SIDE OF THE PLANE IT SAID "MISSISSIPPI NATIONAL GUARD". WHEN I SAW THIS I TURNED TO MY PLATOON SERGENT AND SAID "HOLY SHIT. WERE GONNA DIE". HE LAUGHED.
I WOKE UP 6 HOURS LATER. THE PLANE HAD LANDED, THE CREW CHIEF WAS SCREAMING "EVERYBODY OFF! GET THE FUCK OFF!" THE CABIN WAS FILLING WITH SMOKE. WE JUMPED UP ALL ASSHOLES AND ELBOWS AND BOLTED FOR THE DOOR. THE PLANE WAS STILL MOVING ALONG AT ABOUT 5-10 MPH ALONG THE TARMAC AND WE ALL WERE BAILING AS FAST AS YOUD EXPECT. (IT TURNS OUT THE PILOT HAD COUGHT THE BRAKES ON FIRE BECAUSE HE WAS A GODDAMN LED FOOT)

WE HAD MORE INJURIES AS PEOPLE ATE SHIT JUMPING OUT THAT DOOR ON TOP OF ONE ANOTHER THAN IN ALL THE OTHER TRAINING ASSIGNMENTS WE HAD EVER DONE, BEFORE OR SINCE.
FUCKING NATIONAL GUARD! IN THE 2 WEEKS WE WERE IN HAWII, WE ONLY GOT 6 HOURS OF LEAVE. WASNT WORTH IT.
Absinthedrinker
Posted on Friday, April 19, 2002 - 3:50 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Let's not forget July 1988, when a surface-to-air missile fired by the cruiser USS Vincennes shot down an Iranian airliner, killing all 290 aboard (the Iranians later issed a commemorative postage stamp). Which beat the previous record held by the Soviet Union when in 1983, a Soviet fighter shot down a Korean Air Lines plane, killing 269. Finally in third place back in 1973, two Israeli fighters shot down a Libyan Air Lines jet that had strayed from its course, killing 105.
Pablo
Posted on Friday, April 19, 2002 - 1:15 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

MY PERSONAL FAVORITE WAS DURING THE 7 DAY WAR IN ISRAEL. THE US HAD AN ELECTRONIC WARFARE SHIP OFF THE COAST (IN INTERNATIONAL WATERS), MONITORING THE WAR. THE ISRAELIS FLEW PLANES OUT AND STRAFED IT SEVERAL TIMES. KILLING A BUNCH OF US NAVY SERVICEMEN. THE 3RD TIME THEY STRAFED IT, SAILORS WERE ON DECK WITH A HUGE AMERICAN FLAG TRYING TO SHOW THE ISRAELIS THAT THEY WERE ALIES. THEY GOT SHOT TO PIECES.

THE ISRAELI GOV'T LATER SAID THEY THOUGHT IT WAS AN EGYPTIAN FREIGHTER. THE EGYPTIAN SHIP IN QUESTION WAS SOMETHING LIKE A HUNDRED FEET LONGER AND HAD DRASTICALLY DIFFERENT LINES THAN THE US NAVY SHIP. ISRAEL BASICALLY WAS SAYING "FUCK YOU. MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS!" NICE, SINCE WE SUPPLIED THEM WITH ALL OF THEIR MILITARY HARDWARE.

THIS IS MY FAVORITE MILITARY MISHAP. I THINK OF IT EVERY TIME A SUICIDE BOMBER WALKS INTO A COFFE SHOP IN TEL AVIV. IT REMINDS ME THAT NO MATTER WHO YOU ARE, IF YOU GET INVOLVED IN THAT MESS, YOU ARE GOING TO WIND UP SMELLING LIKE SHIT, AND LOOKING WORSE.
Louched_Liver
Posted on Thursday, April 18, 2002 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Terminus,

Ya got rid of the TT?
Crosby
Posted on Thursday, April 18, 2002 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Robertsmith
Posted on Thursday, April 18, 2002 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm particularly fond of Kent State. I love it when we kill Americans for being American.
And then there's how we got some of our nice land, by giving small pox infested blankets to the Injuns...
In order to give all the white boring ass gay buckle hat wearing puritanical sacks of shit The Pilgrims their 40 acres and a mule, we had to steal the 40 acres and a mule from the people who had them before and then kill them!
And then we had to make sure we had enough darkies to make the mules plow the 40 acres! Nevermind the military, how about our own ancesters? The military's recklessness with life is just inherited from this countrys history of recklessness with human life....
Terminus
Posted on Thursday, April 18, 2002 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Did Bush declare war on Canadian terraists (sic) masquerading as soldiers?
Nascentvirion
Posted on Thursday, April 18, 2002 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Vietnam was one big bloody jungle... Hey wait has anyone ever died in a Civil War reinactment?? And if so would that count ??
Mr_Rabid
Posted on Thursday, April 18, 2002 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

But we can't take all the credit! Special shout out to all those hard line communists that said 'better dead than not red!' and anyone else out there tonight who beleives their principles are worth killing over!

Give yourselve's a hand!
_Blackjack
Posted on Thursday, April 18, 2002 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yeah, think big! We accomplished the slaughter of Americans, North Vietnamese, South Vietnamese, Cambodians and more...
Dr_Ordinaire
Posted on Thursday, April 18, 2002 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"We didnt accomplish anything but the slaughter of Americans. "

The North Vietnamiese may have a slightly different view on who got slaughtered...
Nascentvirion
Posted on Thursday, April 18, 2002 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Um... Vietnam. Even though its a war could it count as a mishap ?? We didnt accomplish anything but the slaughter of Americans.
Chevalier
Posted on Thursday, April 18, 2002 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Why sure ... the captain's long since left this world and his wife sold off his Navy mementos to a junk store (really!).

Accidents happen. The Kitty Hawk lost four or five pilots in its first year. Not to mention an unoccupied fighter plane that just rolled off the ship into the sea. It hadn't been well-fastened to the deck.
Brett
Posted on Thursday, April 18, 2002 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Chevalier, should you be talking about that?

Wait a minute, how do you know it even exists?

What are you up to? :)
Dr_Ordinaire
Posted on Thursday, April 18, 2002 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Because it's so recent, I would select B-52 bombers pulverizing an Afghani town because a rival warlord from another town gave them their coordinates as a Taliban stronghold.
Chevalier
Posted on Thursday, April 18, 2002 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

In the early '60s, my dad was a bridge officer on the aircraft carrier U.S.S. Kitty Hawk, then the largest ship in the world. One night, somewhere in the China Sea, the bridge spotted lantern lights coming from a small junk dead ahead. The Kitty Hawk signalled for them to move, while not changing its own course. You can guess what happened. It was like an elephant stepping on an ant. The junk and its crew disappeared in an instant. The Kitty Hawk's captain had the event struck from the ship's log, saying that the lights were an optical illusion. A big lie.

These things happen more often than we know.
Alphasoixante
Posted on Thursday, April 18, 2002 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

thanks blackjack, i knew i was forgetting one.

pass me those crayons.
_Blackjack
Posted on Thursday, April 18, 2002 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

How about the Japanese fishing boat we crashed a subarine into, because the captain of the sub decided to let his VIP guests take it for a spin?
Lint
Posted on Thursday, April 18, 2002 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

canadians have troops?!
Chevalier
Posted on Thursday, April 18, 2002 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Too cynical for my taste. "Favorite" isn't the word that comes to mind.
Alphasoixante
Posted on Thursday, April 18, 2002 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

this is a fun party game for the kids. how many can you think of? for extra fun, distribute crayons to the children and let them draw colorful depictions of their favorite grisly mishap.

1. today a u.s. pilot in afghanistan attacked canadian troops, killing four. d'oh!

2. the bombing of al-jazeera tv station following unheeded requests by the u.s. government to change its coverage. (partial credit only, no one was killed.)

3. the ski gondola accident in italy that killed twenty. double-d'oh!

4. the bombing of the chinese embassy. three dead, twenty injured.

5. rapes by u.s. military personnel stationed in foreign countries. (no points: not accidental!)

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page