Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through April 18, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » Archive Thru April 2002 » Film Forum » Archive through April 18, 2002 « Previous Next »

Louched_Liver
Posted on Thursday, April 18, 2002 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Run,Lola,Run.
My absolute favorite. Watch it every month at least. If you get the DVD and catch the director's commentary, it adds a whole dimension to the movie.
Nascentvirion
Posted on Thursday, April 18, 2002 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The Last Temptation of Christ was a outstanding movie. David Bowie as Pontous Pilate (probably mispelled that)was a good Idea, and I love the score for the film. I still wanna read the book.

I just watched Run Lola Run which is another really good movie. It's a unique story that twists and turns along the way. Also alot of running ! : )
Marccampbell
Posted on Thursday, April 18, 2002 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Robert Blake was just arrested for murdering his wife.
Barsnake
Posted on Thursday, April 18, 2002 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Stranger Than Paradise is one of those films that I like but my wife just looks at me and shakes her head...She sits through them - but then heckles me for liking them - this is one, though, that I'm not sure I want to sit through again...
On a completely different tack - look for South of Heaven West of Hell - a Dwight Yoakam western send up with appearances by Billy Bob Thornton, Paul Ruebens, and starring Vince Vaughn and Bridgette Fonda...quirky little movie
Louched_Liver
Posted on Thursday, April 18, 2002 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Bashki, damn big head!"
Chevalier
Posted on Thursday, April 18, 2002 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

When the Afghan war broke out, I remembered a scene from the film where Kafiristani (read: Afghan) warriors play polo with their former leader's head. Made an impression on me.
Louched_Liver
Posted on Thursday, April 18, 2002 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for jigglin' my grey matter. I may have to dig that baby out for a look see.
Chevalier
Posted on Thursday, April 18, 2002 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

In the end, I felt more sorry for Billy Fish than for Daniel (Connery). What a way to go!
Louched_Liver
Posted on Thursday, April 18, 2002 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Chev,

It is sweet, ain't it!

And don't forget Billy Fish the ghurka.
Chevalier
Posted on Thursday, April 18, 2002 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Isn't it great when two people here can be right at the same time -- and agree about it?

Bonus: Michael Caine's character is called "Peachy".
Louched_Liver
Posted on Thursday, April 18, 2002 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Right! Son of Segunda(?) shouldn't have bled! We're both rigth! What the hell has happened to this forum lately?
Chevalier
Posted on Thursday, April 18, 2002 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

He fell because ...

the Kafiristani tribespeople cut down the rope bridge he was trapped on, because ...

they discovered that he was only pretending to be a god, the second coming of Alexander the Great, because ...

his bitten cheek bled, and gods don't bleed.
Louched_Liver
Posted on Thursday, April 18, 2002 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I thought Connery fell to his death.
Chevalier
Posted on Thursday, April 18, 2002 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

John Huston's THE MAN WHO WOULD BE KING. The most beautiful woman in the whole world bites pseudo-god Sean Connery's cheek, causing his death. Best pal Michael Caine survives crucifixion and carries around Connery's rotting skull as a souvenir.

The greatest buddy / road movie ever made.
Chevalier
Posted on Thursday, April 18, 2002 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

LAWRENCE OF ARABIA. Best not-explicitly-gay film ever made with no women in it. How many movies are out there that star a desert?
Louched_Liver
Posted on Thursday, April 18, 2002 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Can't forget Stranger Than Paradise. Me and the Headster checked it out on his recent swing east. Nothing happens in it, and boy is it interesting.
Joalco
Posted on Thursday, April 18, 2002 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Dead Man is one of my favorites as well. Beautifully shot, well-acted, and like you mentioned, the soundtrack is excellent.

Ghost Dog is pretty damn enjoyable, too.
Marccampbell
Posted on Thursday, April 18, 2002 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Jim Jarmusch's (Down By Law) "Dead Man" is a great, great film. Its a surrealistic western starring Johnny Depp, with a cameo by Iggy Pop.
Shot in gorgeous black and white and featuring a minimalistic score by Neil Young (just an electric guitar), Dead Man will take you to strange and wonderful places.
Joalco
Posted on Thursday, April 18, 2002 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Also Raschied -- that scene with Galadriel was in the original release of the film...
Joalco
Posted on Thursday, April 18, 2002 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

The Criterion Collection is compiling a DVD for Down By Law, which I am anxiously awaiting...

Also, for those of you who enjoyed Donnie Darko, check out a film (available thru Canadian retailers or on Ebay) called The Hole.

A downright evil turn by Thora Birch, a twisted narrative, and a kick-ass score by Clint Mansell, of Pi / Requiem for a Dream / PWEI fame...
Admin
Posted on Thursday, April 18, 2002 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Oh yes, I loved Mulholland Drive ...

If you like Lynch's ouvre, it is dazzling to see him sparkle as he ought. Sometimes his tricks can fail (like the similar premise of Lost Highway), but I thought he brought a certain depth to the twists as opposed to it being a gratuitous lynchian mindfuck. What could have succeeded as a fabu serial soap opera (and there *were* several unworked threads left dangling), he successfully turned into dark and personal metaphor that is almost embarrassing to watch.

However, I could have done without the tiny shrieking aunties, tho they successfully rushed you agitatedly to a major revelation.

for further Mulholland geekability:

http://www.salon.com/ent/movies/feature/2001/10/23/mulholland_drive_analysis/
Barsnake
Posted on Thursday, April 18, 2002 - 8:43 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Maybe Head will agree - but check out Down By Law with Tom Waits, John Lurie, and a great performance by Roberto Begnini...
Raschied
Posted on Thursday, April 18, 2002 - 8:34 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

If you saw Ring before they added the trailer, let me ask you a question. I saw it back in December, and then saw it again last weekend with a friend.

When I saw it in December, I don't recall Galadriel giving Frodo the light-up artifact (don't recall the name.) This weekend, that scene was in the movie. Just as the group is leaving the Elven forest, Galadriel hands it to Frodo, telling him, "It will bring you light in the darkest of places."

I think they added this scene back in for the 2nd release. It's a crucial scene for The Two Towers, and I think they forgot it in the first release.

The trailer for The Two Towers looks very promising, just for the battle sequences alone. There is a scene of Orcs laying siege to a human city that is like nothing I have ever seen on film before. It got my attention.
_Blackjack
Posted on Thursday, April 18, 2002 - 7:01 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Memento was certainly a one-trick pony, but it was a good trick. Donnie Darko and Fight Club certainly did a better job of providing thought-provoking entertainment beyond the "twist".

I re-watched Fellowship of the Ring a couple of weeks ago, having re-read most of the trilogy since my last viewing (OK, I listened to the unabridged book-on-cd, but let's not split hairs), and I must say, Peter Jackson not only captured the spirit of the book, he IMPROVED on it in a lot of places. The pacing of the movie is much tighter than Tolkein's. Obviously, this is in part due to the requirements of the medium, but that Jackson managed to tighten the RIGHT parts, making the action feel urgent, not rushed, is mighty impressive.

The bonus preview footage for The Two Towers looks breathtaking. I'm curious to see how well it comes together, since I found it the weakest book, action-wise, of the series. I'm assuming that a lot of the stuff which happened off-stage in the book (like the Ent army attacking Isengard) will be fleshed out.
Marccampbell
Posted on Thursday, April 18, 2002 - 2:15 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Naomi Watts should have won the best actress award
at this year's Oscar ceromonies. She was far and away the best thing about Mullholland Drive.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page