Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Mulholland drive forum

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » Archive Thru April 2002 » Archive Thru April 2002 » Mulholland drive forum « Previous Next »

Kafkapie
Posted on Monday, April 22, 2002 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Lynch must have a soft spot in his heart for Dorothy and the Wizard of Oz.

These past 3 years as been the rise of the surprise ending – Sixth Sense, Memento, Donnie Darko, amongst others…
Mulholland Drive is far my least favorite lynch film, feels so much like a betrayal. Let us have our dream logic, don’t pull the wool from our eyes – I like mysteries. This one.. you can kinda figure out 95% of what went on, and that’s what I don’t want from Lynch.. I want more other worldness.

But really, like the European version of the Twin Peaks Pilot, it was all tied up a lil more than 2 hours, the killer found, killed.. the mystery solved.. since MD was originally filmed as the pilot for a potential tv series… you can feel the break once the girls come back from Silencio… that’s the tag on – the easy explanation to tie up all the loose ends… its just too easy (for my taste)
Tlautrec
Posted on Sunday, April 21, 2002 - 1:01 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"There are two L.A.'s: that shimmering nighttime grandeur and the dumpster behind Winkie's with its terrifying resident."

Beautifully put, and all too true.
Verawench
Posted on Saturday, April 20, 2002 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

One of the most memorable scenes to me: "Rita" stumbling out onto the street after her crash and looking down, dazed, at the glimmering lights of L.A. below.

...There are two L.A.'s: that shimmering nighttime grandeur and the dumpster behind Winkie's with its terrifying resident.
Robertsmith
Posted on Saturday, April 20, 2002 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

thanks for the link Marc. Makes perfect sense, and cleared up some things I was wondering about...
Robertsmith
Posted on Saturday, April 20, 2002 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

yeah, I didn't even catch the tribute to various Hollywood cliches, but you're right, they're there. It is hard to tell whether Diane and Camilla had a real relationship. I tend to think the first audition, where the director actually casts Camilla, is the closest Betty/Diane ever comes to her, but Betty runs away once she is actually faced with the possibility of a real audition... then she makes up the whole story she tells at the directors party towards the end of the film to make herself feel like she's the victim...
Not totally sure, just an impression I guess. Thats what makes it such a beautiful film, that Lynch doesn't treat you like a moron and water the film down with excessive exposition. Besides, it's not just about the plot anyway. It is a totally heartbreaking movie when you think about it. Obsession gone off the deep end! A very flattering picture of hollywood, to say the least! I love how fake and greasy he makes LA seem. Very accurate!
Marccampbell
Posted on Saturday, April 20, 2002 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

http://www.salon.com/ent/movies/feature/2001/10/23/mulholland_drive_analysis
Verawench
Posted on Saturday, April 20, 2002 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Pretty good, except it seems to me Diane and Camilla did have a real relationship, a fling...

I rent my DVD of the movie to a lesbian friend and she was the first to notice that Diane's neighbor might have been an ex-girlfriend.

Diane's fantasies and nightmares are fed by Hollywood cliches... Hitchcock, slapstick comedy, a bit of Pulp Fiction... They're a beautifully woven tapestry, Lynch's deliberate tribute to filmmaking, that nonetheless begins to crumble until its final demise with the "time to wake up" line. Reality sets in. The glamour of suspense and mystery is dispelled to reveal only desperation and ugliness. The rest of the movie is, at least to me, heartbreaking.
Robertsmith
Posted on Saturday, April 20, 2002 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

-

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page