Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » Archive Thru May 2002 » Gratitude « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through April 23, 2002Admin25 4-23-02  3:36 pm
Archive through April 27, 2002Artemis25 4-27-02  12:06 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Posted on Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'll have to check it out... let me know if you've got any other suggestions, I work too much to scour the universe looking for a good sour mash...
Posted on Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Basil is good enough to drink out of the bottle.
Up until then so was Knob Creek. And before that Makers Mark.
Posted on Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm a bourbon junkie if one could be so... scotch is swell, canadian is swill and Irish is hell but I'll take a good Kentuky bourbon any day of the week... that is unless there's some verte pokin around, that is definite trouble..
Posted on Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Another good bottle is Basil Hayden's 8 year and the bourbon inside is too.
Posted on Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I like Maker's okay... Knob Creek is okay but right now, I've got a bottle of Woodford Reserve sitting in the liquor cabinet... not too bad, nice and smooth, smokey head and not so much of the bourbon burn finish... the bottle absolutely sucks for swinging though... always on the lookout for a new bourbon... ever try "Bourbsinthe?" Trust me... don't.
Posted on Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Specialty Bottle company in Seattle sells shrink wrap for bottles. (
Posted on Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I think it`s possible to find some heat shrinkable bottle top at some home wine making stores. I should check that out.

I used candle wax once and as Peter said, some chip always fall in the bottle. You should not need it if you use a full cork but then again, such a cork could send some garbage in the bottle when you open it and it`s worse if it`s a recycled old cork. The best are screw caps or Porto style little cork (the one with the plastic top). With the porto style cork, an heat shrink plastic top would be usefull just to secure the cork during shipment. For extra style, you can always hide the plastic shrink with foil.

Or you can just drink it out of the still and forget about the bottle ;-).
Posted on Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 8:15 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

i have since graduated from old wedding invitation sealing wax to wax made for dipping wine-bottle tops seems to have less elasticity and cracks easier when opening...drawback: no matter how careful you are, some chips will fall into the bottle...(also, the scented wax may corrupt the sample)
Posted on Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 7:37 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Wax is good, put I remember Petermarc and me in my kitchen, trying to get the wax off a bottle of ancient Berger (which he had waxed himself) almost cutting a finger off - it can get messy.

I've wondered about that Knob Creek whisky - I like the bottle, but does the whisky live up to the fancy presentation?
Posted on Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 7:06 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Pikkle. Ever had the Makers Mark Bar-B-Q sauce that comes in a small MM bottle also wax top? Try mailing that to friends and label it absinthe.
Me, I switched to Knob Creek. Better bottle to smash heads with.
Posted on Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 6:56 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hey, I'll take a dozen! Or so...
Posted on Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 6:52 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Keep it small, simple and discrete. I'm lucky that my local herborist also sell small brown glass bottles of every size imaginable. A good size for a sample is 100ml, that's usually what I use. I also refrain from using a label, I just put a sticker with the batch number.
Posted on Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 6:49 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Or wax... like my good buddies at Maker's Mark... hell, you could have guided tours and let each attendee dip his own bottle... sell t-shirts, have fantastic promotionals touting your delicious beverage, roast a pig or two and say "ya'll come back now" alot.
Yes, what ever you do, don't say it's alcohol... all the postmen on my street are drunks, you think they're gonna let that get by em? Don't even say it's breakable... those vindictive fucks love playing soccer with your parcels, believe you me! Or don't... many don't... I don't blame them, I spin some long, long yarn but grandmama says it's a gift, something she calls "the shining." I don't know what it means really but I still dream of having sex with Scatman Cruthers... oh yeah, and another thing, stay away from the brown acid.
Posted on Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 3:26 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I don't know about Wolfgang, but I've received dozens of them from all over the world. I won't go into what people write on Customs forms.

It WILL matter to the Post Office if you're crazy enough to label it as what it actually is - they can and do confiscate alcohol, because their rules don't allow you to ship it.

Don't label it at all if it's staying in the U.S.

Don't use a plastic bottle if you can help it.

Use glass. There are sample bottles in one to five-ounce sizes made just for such purposes, you might want to invest in a dozen or so. Or recycle some of the little airplane liquor bottles. You can seal the cap with putty to ensure no leakage.
Posted on Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 3:02 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

If it's within the states, it shouldn't matter too much what you say it is...
Posted on Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 2:25 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Wolfgang, knowing you have received plenty of sample hausgematche from all over the world, is there a typical form of shipment?.. like a tightly sealed evian water bottle?... does it have some bogus inventory like SC (ie. Olive Oil)... just curious, I have a nice batch I'd like to mail out to someone a few states away for a taste... appreciate your advice in the matter, thanks!
Posted on Thursday, May 2, 2002 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the info, now I have much better understanding of what you're talking about. If any of you hogsmackers makes a bad batch with unacceptable tails, you should bottle it into minis as educational material for us "up and coming" absinthe connoisseurs - a public service of sorts.

Thanks again for the explanation!
Posted on Thursday, May 2, 2002 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

When you distill something (be it absinthe or rhum or brandy or whatever), not all the ethanol in the pot can be collected as a good tasty product. There's always a portion at the end that doesn't taste and doesn't smell good. That's the tail. The problem is there's a gray zone between the good stuf and the tail. It gradually become worst and worst. The more it goes, the more you get heavier oils and undesirable compounds. A tiny amount of tail can waste a whole batch. In an absinthe batche, it taste and smell a little bit like burnt peanut oil. Some people with very sensitive taste buds can detect it from miles and I'm one of those unlucky picky taster. The financial sacrifice to get a clean tail free product is huge. There's always the temptation to collect more and too much. That's a classic mistake.

My suspicion (not coming from personal experience but from educated guess) is that a bigger still designed especially for absinthe would produce less tails. The details of why I think it is so won't be discussed here and are not fully understood yet anyway.

To get more information about distillation, you can go there :
Posted on Thursday, May 2, 2002 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Wolfgang, I know it's been asked before but I just don't completely understand what is meant by "tails". Is it a particular taste?
Posted on Wednesday, May 1, 2002 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The reviews may seems mysterious mith all the identity protection juggling but I made it that way for obvious reasons. That way I leave it up to the makers to jump out of the shadow if they wish to. If someone else got some of those same samples, I'm sure they will figure it out anyway.

"a tedious and expensive process just to end up with 750ml"

Not to mention the bottle of undrinkable tails that follow the good stuf and that you can't use completely... Well maybe the Moonman haven't understand everything yet and is not doing it in the most effective way but my little idea about that is there's no effective ways of doing it in such a small scale setup.
Posted on Wednesday, May 1, 2002 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I don't imagine most hausgemachters intend to be mysterious. Just to make something anyone would like you have to go on an odyssey of learning herbs, distilling, metric and household conversions (not to mention the money you sink into failures and the legal risk in most countries). Then you find it's a tedious and expensive process just to end up with 750ml!

I think any HGM'er would like to fire off a liter to all their friends, but if you had a rig big enough to accomodate that I'm sure you'd be thinking of ways to re-coop the expense ie: selling. which is a whole new level of crime.
Posted on Wednesday, May 1, 2002 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ok, yesterday was Christmas day for me. I got 3 samples on the same day ! One from a newbie hausgematcher somewhere in America and two from an European source of marvel.

I only tasted a mini glass of each using my new "precious hausgematch mini tasting device" (10ml absinthe with 50ml water and 1/8 tea spoon sugar). Note that I was also in a bad "nothing taste good today" mood. I will post more technical details and my second impression privately later.

Newbie-sinthe #2

(may be not the actual number but that's the second sample I got from this source)

First sample was undrinkable. This one is. There's good progress. Unfortunately I still taste something weird in it. I could taste it also in the first sample. I think it's related to the base alcohol used. Try another kind of base alcohol. Otherwise, dark green color (well done but a little bit to strong), nice louche (lots of anis but that's a question of personal preference).

Keep up the good work, you'r efforts and dedication will eventually pay.

European A (smaller number)

What a surprise ! This hausgematcher usually don't use much anis but this sample is thickly anised. Light yellow-green. Strange surprising scent. Cinnamon ? maybe a bit of clove ? Nice louche. It needs a bit more watering and some sugar. It's like a candy and it's fruity. Not an everyday drink but a nice surprise. Would be better after dinner than before. It's not red at all but I imagine it would make the most amazing slerpis ever (I would try it if I had more than just a small sample but now I won't risk being crucified by the maker for making such an heresy ;-) ). I would make a cherry sherbet out of it... Small recommendation,I think this would have been an amazing blanche. This hausgematche put a smile on my face.

European B (higher number)

Another very experimental brew. It's like a reversed #17. Almost no anis, a very light green louche and an ultra dry and astringent body. There's something smooky about it, something I can taste in some scotch. I also suspect there's lot's of pontica in the coloring. This is a serious absinthe but the esthete in my don't like this almost transparent louche (then again, personal taste...). Contrary to the #17, this one would make a nice everyday drink. I think I also like it better without sugar to fully feel this characteristic astringency.

Many thanks and applause to the makers.
Posted on Saturday, April 27, 2002 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Artemis - Please. I'll take whatever you can spare. At times I think your pictures alone are enough to redeem absinthe's tainted reputation. Such simplicity and refinement...

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page