Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Correct Me if I'm Wrong

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » Archive Thru April 2002 » Correct Me if I'm Wrong « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through April 22, 2002Admin25 4-22-02  6:57 am
Archive through April 23, 2002Chevalier25 4-23-02  12:00 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Meat_Nipples
Posted on Wednesday, April 24, 2002 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yeah, I think the Hell's Angels were probably pissed that Hunter portrayed them so well in his book (a bunch of brutish losers who commanded respect). It says a lot about the Angels that Hunter treated them all with such respect and hospitality, was well received in their circle (he rode with them, partied with them etc for quite a while) but in the end was stomped anyway, for taking pictures of them.

I think Hunter fared far better than any other journalist who would have dared get so close to a group of murders, rapists, and overall degenerates.
Nascentvirion
Posted on Wednesday, April 24, 2002 - 7:18 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

There are a ton of Hunter books on ebay, I think I'm going to have to buy some and check them out. I've heard the Hells Angels book was excellent.
Artemis
Posted on Wednesday, April 24, 2002 - 3:01 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hunter said they were losers. He also gave them their due, such as it is. He also admitted he was concerned about them kicking his ass, and in fact, they did kick his ass before it was over with.

If you haven't read Hunter's book about the Hell's Angels, you haven't read about the Hell's Angels. It is one of THE best books about anything.
Raschied
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2002 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hunter S is a total character. I read in Rolling Stone how Johnny Depp prepared for the role. Hunter even gave Johnny the appropriate hairdo using a straight razor.

Sonny Barger, one of the founders of the Oakland Hell's Angels, didn't have nice things to say about Hunter in the HELL'S ANGEL biography. He claims that most of Hunter's take on the Hell's Angels was made-up bullshit, and that at one point Hunter locked himself in the trunk of his car because he was afraid of getting his ass kicked. I haven't read Hunter's book so I can't comment on his portrayal of the Angels.
_Blackjack
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2002 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Don't forget Alex Cox (Sid and Nancy, Straight to Hell, etc). Gilliam lifted most of Cox's FaLiLV screenplay for when Gilliam was given the picture.
Artemis
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2002 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The F&L movie is about as good a film adaptation of an impossible-to-adapt-to-film book as you could hope for.

Hunter Thompson is one of the "back page" columnists on ESPN, has been for a long time. His sports columns there are in exactly the same vein as his writing about sports in F&L.

I haven't seen many Danish movies, but "Babette's Feast" is a magnificent movie, one of my favorite of all time.
Sicboy13
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2002 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hunter has been writing on ESPN?

Details, links please?

I love HST, love the books of his I've read as well as Johnny Depp's & Terry Gilliam's interpretation of him as well.
Meat_Nipples
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2002 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yes! The Fear and Loathing movie is as good an adaptation of the book as you could ever ask for. I read the book way before the movie came out and I thought there was no way in hell a movie could capture the spirit of Hunter's witty, frantic, drug-addled and relentlessly comical prose. But this movie does a very good job. I still suggest you read the book. It is a very quick read and you will be laughing out loud at least once a page.

I am huge Hunter S. fan, if you couldn’t tell. I also suggest his book on the Hells Angels if you like F&L. Some of his other books are much more subtle in their humor and insight, but I have read just about everything he ever put his name to and I have enjoyed the vast majority of it (except some of his very recent stuff, like his column on espns site, methinks the booze has pickled his brain a bit too much).
Nascentvirion
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2002 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I watched Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas last night, and everytime I've seen it I catch something new. Although I've never read any of Hunter S Thompsons works. Can any tell me if it was true to the book ??

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page