Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Too drunk to dance with the fairy.

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » Archive Thru April 2002 » Archive Thru April 2002 » Too drunk to dance with the fairy. « Previous Next »

Tortainglese
Posted on Monday, April 22, 2002 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I think it will be ok. Since the Baroque revival, counter tenors are getting a lot more work.
Chevalier
Posted on Monday, April 22, 2002 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"... while holding onto my best friend's penis."

But was it still attached to him?
Wolfgang
Posted on Monday, April 22, 2002 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"I'm considering:
Segarra
Abinthe N.S.
Deva 70 (I got the 50)
Mari Mayans 70 "

Good choices for some exploration. If you think you would like a butterscotchy absinthe, go for two bottles of Segarra and one bottle of the others.

Segarra is the only Spanish absinthe I may be tempted to order again some day. For cheap and dirty absinthe suitable for parties, the regular low proof Deva is the winner if you'r still able to palate it and if you'r offering it to people who likes anis and have never tasted anything better.
Tortainglese
Posted on Sunday, April 21, 2002 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

the whole experience was so gruesome, although funny in retrospect. fits into the "seemed like a good idea at the time" catagory.
Verawench
Posted on Sunday, April 21, 2002 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

..aaaaaaand we have a winner!

But, truly, if my best friend had a penis, I'd hang on to it too. Nothing like clasping your kindred spirit's genitalia to stake off the shakes and terrors of alcohol poisoning.
Tortainglese
Posted on Sunday, April 21, 2002 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I just did a comparision last night of Deva 70 and NS. Greatly prefered the NS, better smell, color and taste. I never drink more than 2 glasses of anything, but last night went nuts, drank way too much. Ended up in my wedding dress, soaking wet, (poured the gallon of bottled water over myself) lying on living room floor, screaming in Italian while holding onto my best friend's penis. Eventually crawled to the bathroom and vomited like a dog and then passed out. Not my most elegant moment. My friends didnt fare any better. Today I have the hang over from hell. Any recommendations on how to cure hang over?
2loucheltrec
Posted on Sunday, April 21, 2002 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

i thought that mari mayans 70 is a logical step up from pastis (the route i went), they had similar flavor, deva 70 i considered a step up from mm 70, was more complex flavor and better balance. i haven't tried serpis, segarra or n.s. but they're on my list in the study of the faery.
Nascentvirion
Posted on Sunday, April 21, 2002 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

La Fee was the first brand I tried.. I'm not much of a drinker, although I did feel something that didnt feel like a alcohol buzz. That was only one shot worth. About 2 weeks later after a long day of work I had 2 glasses in which I felt a very strong "sparkling clearness" for about 30 mins and then it went away and I had a huge buzz from the alcohol. I think La Fee is 68% which I'm not sure what proof that equals out too. I like the minty after taste it leaves in my mouth. I just wish they would lower the price a bit. Right now, I'm waiting on a order from SC of Deva 70. It should be here any day now. Cant wait to have a glass. Did anyone else like the Deva 70 ??
Pikkle
Posted on Sunday, April 21, 2002 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

and do you have any naked pictures of her?

Oh yeah, I only go with segarra these days... thought NS for all the hype was borderline flaccid in texture, better off sticking with Deva for run of the mill Spanish, save yourself a few bucks too. If you're real brave (and if he ever completes his shipments) go with wolvie's la bleue. For the money, it's a decent la bleue. Unfortunately, he seems to be having shipping issues at the moment so if he get's his act together again, I say give that one a try. Now, back to your wife...
Destiny
Posted on Sunday, April 21, 2002 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Welcome MD! If you're going for a couple more bottles of Spanish, I'd recommend trying NS70 and Segerra. The NS70 to compare with Deva and the Segerra to experience the very different flavor that it has. If you don't like the "oak flavor" in Segerra (I don't), you can mix it with the NS70 and produce a very good tasting hybrid. I've never tried MM, but some people seem to like it - despite the neon glow.

Did your wife like absinthe?
Robertsmith
Posted on Sunday, April 21, 2002 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Get NS. It's my personal favourite Spanish. It tastes like it has more wormwood than Deva and is heavier and more flavourful. Once you have NS, Deva tastes a little thin. A lot of people love Mary Mayans, but I've noticed no Abisnthe fx from it personally, just a big alcohol blur, and thought the taste was a little alcoholic. Deva 70 ain't bad, but again you can really taste the alcohol. Of course I would also recommend getting La Fee from eabsinthe.com. I've had vintage absinthe, and La Fee's flavour is closer to the vintage than any of the spanish, although the La Bleu's are the closest thing I've had to vintage. I think La Fee is a little lower in thujone than some of the spanish, but tastes really excellent and has the best louche I've seen. Happy hunting...
Mogan_David
Posted on Sunday, April 21, 2002 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the friendly welcome.

Would you care to make a recommendation as to my next SC purchase?

I'm considering:
Segarra
Abinthe N.S.
Deva 70 (I got the 50)
Mari Mayans 70

Do you have any favorites or other suggestions? I'm going to visit the fairy again tonite. Hopefully this time she will let me dance with her. :-)
Louched_Liver
Posted on Sunday, April 21, 2002 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Wecome MD. And glad you enjoyed bustin' your cherry w/the fairy squeezin's. I'd recommend you order from SC soon, so you won't run out, and try a couple of different ones. It's amazing the range of tastes there are.

LL
Mogan_David
Posted on Sunday, April 21, 2002 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

t was only about a month ago that I even learned that there was such a thing as absinthe. My wife and I watched Moulin Rouge and simultaneously asked each other "What the hell is absinthe?"

Well to make a short story long, I ordered my first two bottles from SC and I have to say their service was first rate.

It took about two weeks for the order to arive and during that time the anticipation grew to the point that I spent all of yesterday just waiting for the time when I could relax, open my package and experience what all of you have been talking about on this board.

My order consisted of a bottle of Deva and Serpis. I chose the Deva because it seems to be the Spanish brand that all of the others are compared to.

I chose the Serpis because it gets decent reviews despite its unfortunate color. I figure that what Serpis lacks in color it must make up in taste.

I have to say that I am very pleased with both. The Deva is very drinkable. It seems to have a nice clean character. The anise is very pronounced, (as I guess it should be in an absinthe) but there are hints of other herbs in the background and overall it's a very pleasant drink.

The Serpis is a bit harsher but not overly so. It has a stronger flavor and aroma. It louches well but not as well as the Deva. The color is a bit wierd, but since I'm no absinthe expert I don't care to much about that.

As to the absinthe effect, I don't think I experienced any effect other than the alcohol.
I had in total four glasses of absinthe mixed at about a shot and a half absinthe to about three shots of water. I did get rather drunk and very happy.

I don't have a favorite between the Deva and Serpis. Both have very nice qualities and I'm very happy to drink either one.

I want to thank everyone here for their posts and information about the different brands. I've enjoyed reading this forum while waiting for my absinthe to arrive, and I think the anticipation made the absinthe much sweeter than the sugar cube I infused into it.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page