Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Logan Fils!

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » Archive Thru April 2002 » Logan Fils! « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through April 23, 2002Zman725 4-23-02  1:21 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Wolfgang
Posted on Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

stole it somewhere on the web...
Robertsmith
Posted on Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

no, but that cool exploding head face does. How'd you make that?
Wolfgang
Posted on Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Honestly, if I was lonely in Paris in 1900, with with enough money and no need to work, I would probably be walking on clouds from one cafe to another, attending artistic events and louching my liver out all days long.

I would magically know about the upcomming ban and would be stocking cases of Pernod in my secret lair...

Ho, and I would be wearing a top hat and a cape and would be using a sword-cane.

Does it shows that I'm bored at work ?
Wolfgang
Posted on Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

sludge
Robertsmith
Posted on Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

you're right even $100 is expensive. After having vintage absinthe though, if someone can make an absinthe that's similar to the vintage (I think a good LaBleu is the closest, although still not nearly as earthy), I'd be willing to pay $200 for one bottle, but once only. These guys are stupid too, don't they realized if they charged say $60-80 for a bottle we'd buy a lot more of them? I only get LaBleu like once every 4-5 months cause it's so pricey from everywhere that's reliable, but if I could get LB for even $50 a bottle I'd buy about 3-4 times more often than I currently do...
Of course then I'd just be on a permanent absinthe binge.... maybe it's good to keep the prices prohibitively high so I don't completely turn my brain into sludge...
Timk
Posted on Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

even $100 is pricey - as has been said, La Bleue costs $30 a litre in Switzerland. If you set up a small scale, legitimate commercial operation, which produces something akin to a La Bleue with the colouration step added, albeit heavily tweaked, well researched and with more herbal content, I still doubt it would warrant a $100 price tag, but this is my opinion, anyway, $200 (you just end up paying what the market will support, and not what the product is worth in real terms) for this Logan stuff, I dont think so.
Rimbaud
Posted on Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Took a look at the new photo they put up. Still looks like fucking pea soup to me! I'll wait for Jade, thank you. I have recently tried a sample of Jade's Nouvelle Orleans and it is, in a word, sublime!

~21st Century Rimbaud
Wolfgang
Posted on Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 5:53 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Wouhou! we have a guinea pig ! Houra for Bobby !

(Now when you get it, drop me a line...)

3.7kg to make 100 L, that's 37gr/L, fine but not huge. Using more require a special process to remove some bitterness but it's not necessary to make a good absinthe.

All and all, I think there's a slight chance that this new absinthe could be the first really good czech absinthe. We shall see.

But it's still too expensive, even if it's the best absinthe in the world. I can't believe they can't make it at 100-125$ a bottle.

I hope Jade will jump in soon and set the pricing rules...
Sicboy13
Posted on Wednesday, April 24, 2002 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I, in my infancy, ordered a bottle of the Logan %70. IT WAS FUCKING BLUE!!!!!!!!!

It was blue, for all y'all who missed that previous line. BLUE!

Sorry, I just hold some resentment. Some "Ill will" if'n ya will.

Shipping was great, email's were so-so, but it was BLUE!

By the way, the "absinthe" was BLUE!
Robertsmith
Posted on Wednesday, April 24, 2002 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

So here's an email I got from Logans distillery about their new product:
"Larry,
The truth is that at the moment the product is in barrels to age and will be available for sale in about two weeks. Also the remaining
part of the lab tests are to be fineshed soon too.
Actually, the picture in question is not quite the same as it appears in
real. I have not realized that until after I have seen your and other people
comments.
Therefore, the picture now should look the same as it does in real light.
I put a new picture on the website to reflect this.

The dissapointed news is that we sell it only in 1L bottles as Original Abs
used to be sold.
There are some doubts in the ring that we want to rip off the customers
selling it for 200 USD claiming that it is real and in fact is is not.

I can asure you that if anyone sells Swiss La Bleue for 150 USD then our Abs
should cost at least 300 USD.
We believe it is that good. And it has taken us nearly 2 years to make it to
what it is now.
There are NO tricks behind. There are NO compromises made during the
manufacturing process no matter how difficult or costly it is to achieve it.
Also, It is distilled in old COPPER pot stills as it used to be and wine
spirit is used too which is VERY rare nowadays in making Absinthe.
Also wormwood is of the latest harvest and the almost the same amount is
used that is 3,7 kg per 100 Litres.
Actually, Pernod used 2,5 up to 3 kg.
Our Swiss La Bleue will be ready for sale in about 3 weeks from now.
We have finished the contract with the old distillery as the quality was not
to our expectation. Now we have much better stuff.
I hope the above explanation helps. If you have any further questions,
please do not hesitate and either call me or drop me an email."

These guys have peaked my curiosity, I think I'm going to have a hard time resisting it. It certainly doesn't sound fake and I'm sure it's the real deal. Most of todays absinthes aren't fake (except Absente, Amersinthe, etc.), but then again only a handful of what I've had are actually good (Deva, NS, LaBleu, & LaFee). So is it good? Who knows? I think I might have to be the guinea pig....
Robertsmith
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2002 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

oh yeah, duh, that makes sense, the clorophyll! So that is a bit weird then that the new Logan is amber.
Tavarua
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2002 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Alright, makes a little more sense. That is the bottle I have seen before.
_Blackjack
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2002 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

This is Logan Distribution's OTHER page. They have another "Logan" absinthe which they market specifically on its thujone content.

http://www.absinth.com/links/eshop.html
Rimbaud
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2002 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hey, Smithee...

You ever see a green leaf turn brown? Same concept here. Armangac and Scotch are not colored with chlorophyl, so your argument is invalid.

~21st Century Rimbaud
Tavarua
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2002 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Maceration.........maximum care not to damage the oils."

That's all I need to know.

Where's Heiko at? Seems to me that he mentioned this when he was naming off the various German Absinthes that where not terrible. I don't think this was the first time Logan was mentioned here. Heiko, you out there anywhere?
Robertsmith
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2002 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I posted a photo of the Edouard pre louche as my photo (can't figure out how to post it in the message here cause I'm on a mac and internet explorer isn't cooperative). It was quite amber to begin with. It certainly tasted authentic and was a fairly intese experience compared to what I'm used to, so I doubt I got faked out. Does anyone else have any photos of vintage louches? I've seen two others and they usually look similar. I'm also curious Wolfgang why you think age would affect the colour. I've seen armangac from the 20's and Scotch from even eariler, and it kept it's colour just fine....
Mvario
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2002 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I've tried their La Bleue, Got it back pre Wolvie when they were the only folks I could find selling a La Bleue on the web and I hadn't tried one and desperately wanted to. They sell it for like $150. It was good, though not as good as Wolvie's. Full liter though.
Perruche_Verte
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2002 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

One of these Betty customers with money falling out of his ass just needs to bite the bullet and be the forum guinea pig -- bearing in mind, of course, that things we spend a lot of money on tend to taste like they were worth a lot of money. It's a form of psychological self-defense or self-deception.

Either that, or 10 of us should chip in $20 to buy shares of a bottle -- and I'm not sure I'd even do that. $20 can buy a fair amount of quite drinkable beer.

Even if this is a fake -- isn't it refreshing to see the fakery aimed so high?
Rimbaud
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2002 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

...and copper salts!

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page