Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through April 22, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » Archive Thru April 2002 » Correct Me if I'm Wrong » Archive through April 22, 2002 « Previous Next »

Admin
Posted on Monday, April 22, 2002 - 6:57 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hob, I'm with you. Hammer was the shit. Tho I do love both Nosferatu's.

Here's the worst: http://www.sepulchritude.com/suffer/2001/RBS/
Lordhobgoblin
Posted on Monday, April 22, 2002 - 3:26 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Nosferatu was a classic but good as it was I still prefer the Christopher Lee style of Vampire (which followed in the footsteps of Bela Lugosi).

It's probably because my dad was a big Christopher Lee, Peter Cushing, Hammer House of Horror fan and I grew up on a diet of these films.

Still, since Christopher Lee, nobody has yet to act a convincing Dracula (although Anthony Hopkins did play a decent van Helsing).

Hobgoblin
Pablo
Posted on Monday, April 22, 2002 - 2:55 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Aion, is there a doctor in the room with you? You gettin' a checkup?
Marccampbell
Posted on Monday, April 22, 2002 - 2:53 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Udo Kier's obsession with wirgin blood in Warhol's "Blood For Dracula"
was a hoot.
Aion
Posted on Monday, April 22, 2002 - 2:50 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Vampire with soul,
Buffy´s Angel ???
* cough *
Pablo
Posted on Monday, April 22, 2002 - 2:45 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

My favorite was "blackula".

Vampire with soul.
Aion
Posted on Monday, April 22, 2002 - 2:45 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Worst vampire film ever:
VAMPIRELLA (with Roger Daltrey)
(but that Leslie Nielsen film
is not much better).
* cough *
Marccampbell
Posted on Monday, April 22, 2002 - 2:38 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

It all depends on whether you want your vampires sexy or scary? Lee may be the sexiest, but Max Shreck is the most fearsome.
Aion
Posted on Monday, April 22, 2002 - 2:30 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I always thought Leslie Nielsen was the
best Dracula.
Lordhobgoblin
Posted on Monday, April 22, 2002 - 2:06 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I didn't like 'Interview with a Vampire' at all. It was shallow, disjointed, had very little substance and was full of poseurs. I put it just 2 notches above 'The Lost Boys'.

The 1958 Hammer film 'Dracula' ('Horror of Dracula' in the USA) with Christopher Lee, now that was a good vampire movie (a film way out of Tom Cruise's league). Nobody since Christopher Lee has been able to be a believable Dracula, perhaps it's because they don't wear Bela Lugosi's ring.

Hobgoblin
Mr_Carfax
Posted on Sunday, April 21, 2002 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I vaguely know the guy (Matt Newton) who played Armand in "Queen of the Damned" - you know, the chubby cherubic one with the curly hair in the ending scenes who says only one line.....

Any resemblance he bares to Antonio Banderas is completely lost to me.

But the drummer to Lestat's band plays in a local industrial-metal band here in Sydney- Jerk-
http://www.jerkmusic.com/

They're not bad I guess, if that's your thing....
Meat_Nipples
Posted on Sunday, April 21, 2002 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Never noticed the absinthe in "Four Rooms", but that movie is hilarious. I think misbehaviors is my favorite segment. "There's a dead fuck-ing whore......"
You know how it goes.
Marccampbell
Posted on Sunday, April 21, 2002 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

anatomist,

welcome back, stranger.
Anatomist
Posted on Sunday, April 21, 2002 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm content to avoid any Vampire Chronicles movies. For me it's the sci-fi-ish ideas and all the history and details of immortality that make it fun. "Vampire" movies I like: THE ADDICTION, VAMPIRE'S KISS, and BLADE.

K.
Verawench
Posted on Sunday, April 21, 2002 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

the Misbehavers....
Crowlyman
Posted on Sunday, April 21, 2002 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Which segment? I remember the people doing some drinking in the Tarantino part, but I think they were doing shots of tequila.
Verawench
Posted on Sunday, April 21, 2002 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Bad vampire movies aside, anyone catch a glimpse of absinthe in "Four Rooms"?
Destiny
Posted on Sunday, April 21, 2002 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I though the effects in Queen of the Damned were pretty good. The people bursting into flames looked just as I had imagined when I read the book.

I thought the casting was awful - the guy that played Lestat ruined the movie; not only was he not blonde (when Anne Rice makes such a point of Lestat's blonde hair), but he over-acted so severely it was almost painful to watch- the guy thought he was in a remake of The Crow. Although it was obviously a low budget picture, they could have at least tried to capture the romaticism and sensuality that are such a part of Anne Rice's stories.
2loucheltrec
Posted on Sunday, April 21, 2002 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"interview" is a must see (over and over ) and one of the best newer vampire movies, there are many things that i haven't noticed one time but catch at a later viewing. it's possibly tom cruises best movie. "queen of the damned" was a let down, it had cool music, it was pretty to look at but didn't have much substance. the "new" lestat (beside the fact he wasn't blonde) was the only thing that made the movie tolerable (barely). i also just rented a vampire movie worth watching, "shadow of the vampire" with john malkovich and willem dafoe.
Nascentvirion
Posted on Sunday, April 21, 2002 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I saw Queen of the Damned. I have to look at it as a fictional adaptation on a fictional novel. The film was too rushed I thought. Its fun to watch, but so much more could have been done to explain and enhance the story. The guy playing Lestat did a really good job, he had big shoes to fill and he filled them pretty damn good. The DVD should have some interesting extra material. The movie by far was a flop in the US. Although it did have a No1 opening in its first week. After that it all went downhill.
Destiny
Posted on Sunday, April 21, 2002 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Do watch it through, Artemis. I think that it's the one Anne Rice story that "Hollywood" didn't completely destroy.
Admin
Posted on Sunday, April 21, 2002 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

For some vintage Neil Jordan check out Company of Wolves (if you can find it). It's a wicked fairy tale based on a short story by Angela Carter. It is lush, despite it's low production value ... it exploits the mythic properties of dreams, or vice versa, heh.
Absinthespoon
Posted on Sunday, April 21, 2002 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I love that movie. It made me decide I like Tom Cruise after all.
Admin
Posted on Sunday, April 21, 2002 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

ding! ding! ding!

he does indeed.
Artemis
Posted on Sunday, April 21, 2002 - 5:53 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

But yesterday afternoon, as I was enjoying the drink in the picture I posted, "Interview With the Vampire" was on TV. I've never seen that thing end to end, I must do so some day (are you up for that, Head P?).

Anyway, Claudia brought home two curly-headed twin boys as a gift for Lestat. They are passed out on the divan. Lestat bites one in the neck, and a look of surprise and alarm comes to his face. He asks Claudia (I *think*):

"You gave them ABSINTHE?!"

"No, laudanum" she replies. "Unfortunately, it killed them".

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page