Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Alchemy's failing?

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » Archive Thru April 2002 » Alchemy's failing? « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through April 23, 2002Verawench25 4-23-02  4:18 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

_Blackjack
Posted on Wednesday, April 24, 2002 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Kicking high is useful in the same way doing pushups or jumping rope are useful. If is a conditioning exercise. If you have the muscles and lexability to kick someone in the head, you are going to do that much more damage to them when yo kick them in the knee, and be less likely to hurt yourself in the process...
Anatomist
Posted on Wednesday, April 24, 2002 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

That seems like the trouble with a lot of people in relation to their martial arts. People want to entertain the illusion that they are doing something that's about real fighting, when they're really doing something that's more like calligraphy. If you enjoy the experience and the aesthetics of the training, then just do it and enjoy it.

If you want to train for real fighting, 'schools' or 'styles' aren't all that important. When the chips are down, what appears to work in a no rules or almost no rules fight looks pretty similar no matter the training: straight punches, low kicks, tackles, a handful of grappling/wrestling permutations. It's easy to sit around and speculate about effectiveness, but the only way to know for sure is to get in real fights and spar so hard that you get fairly seriously injured on a regular basis. The difference in effectiveness between fighters is more a matter of conditioning, agressiveness, and the brutality of regular sparring than which style emphasizes what.

Most people aren't willing to put their carcass on the line like that... it certainly doesn't seem worth it to me. I wouldn't go through all that pain and injury unless I thought I really needed unarmed fighting skills to protect myself and others more than once in a lifetime. I'm content to practice martial arts that I enjoy, for the sake of the practice itself. Self-defense is peripheral.

K.
Mr_Rabid
Posted on Wednesday, April 24, 2002 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Indeedy do. I wouldn't want to use Tae Kwon Do outside of a sporting situation, at least not like it's usually taught.

Kicking high is very dangerous, but not to your opponent.
Raschied
Posted on Wednesday, April 24, 2002 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Sambo?

sambo
_Blackjack
Posted on Wednesday, April 24, 2002 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Quote:

It's funny to watch goth people pretend to do Tai Chi in a club and to The Sisters of Mercy.

BWAH! Yes! Guys especially. Girls tend more towards the "I'm Sad, I'm a Tree, I'm Dead" dance.

Martial arts are taught in a deliberately slow manner. It is possible to teach somebody in a month 80% of what they'd need to know to kick most people's ass in a real combat situation. They call it Boot Camp. The purpose of drawing the teaching out over such a long period is twofold. Obviously, the more one practices, the more conditioned the movements will become. But more important is that it gives the mind the time to digest what one is learning, and hopefully to develop the maturity to understand the best way to use it.

I was never really into the martial arts for "enlightnment". The arts I studied (Taekwondo and Sambo) both have a strong sporting element, and Sambo's non-sporting element is straight-up practical fighting. I did study for the DICIPLINE. I studied to put effort into something and see results. I deliberately focussed more on Taekwondo simply because it was harder for me, because I have entirely the wrong body type for it.

And as for why kick-boxer box more than they kick: kicking is exhausting. A well-landed kick can be devistating, but so can a well-landed right-hook or uppercut, and they don't require nearly as much energy. If you were out to cripple your opponant as quickly as possible, (low) kicks are very handy. If you are expected to keep it up for 10 2-minute rounds, you are going to ration your kicks.

Despite 6 years of Taekwondo, I'm still a boxer at heart, mostly because I punch better than I kick. I feel more in-control close in, especially if I'm close enough to head-butt...
_Blackjack
Posted on Wednesday, April 24, 2002 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

$400 BUCKS! I think I still have my old Snake-Eyes in a kitchen cupbord. I couldn't stand to throw him out when I got rid of the rest of my toys (most of which were donated to appreciative geeks...)
Anatomist
Posted on Wednesday, April 24, 2002 - 2:39 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I think that sweater might be a hit with bi birders from Alabama. Don't think I'll be making the trip though, I'm getting my fill of the south here in northern Florida. This is the rudest, ugliest, smelliest, most uncultured place I've ever been. I wish I lived in Texas.

K.
Verawench
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2002 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The drugging DOES explain the inferior slope in your roofing and the inappropriate off-season Easter coloration. Still, the SABA (South Alabama Birding Association for those not "in the know") might let you get away with entering those in their bi-annual. If you ditch the sweater, of course.
Anatomist
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2002 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I must've been drugged. I could see making those birdhouses, but not putting on that v-neck sweater.

K.
Verawench
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2002 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Not your best work, K., but those stacks of hay really do it for me...
Verawench
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2002 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

birdieboy
Anatomist
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2002 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

V,

Damn straight. Quilts are for pussies and little old ladies. Real men build birdhouses, which is why I could never convince whoever it was that was being so annoying before to build them.

K.
Anatomist
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2002 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

You know it Rabid. Ever since Socrates and old Ben Franklin got together and decided to make democracy for America, the world has been our oyster.

K.
Louched_Liver
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2002 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

GoneInsane,

If you continue to shout, I'm going to have to bar you from Fairy Fest in June. And who would be this mysterious "she" you allude to so often?
Gettingsane
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2002 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

SHES OUT THERE
Mr_Rabid
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2002 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Two words: 'tourist money'."

True, true. I forgot that ancient China was such a tourist mecca. All those americans with disposable income- wait...
Gettingsane
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2002 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

THE SOURCE OF THE NINJA

ANCIENT CHINESE TECHNIQUE

SO EVASIVE
SO STOIC

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1723904740

OLD SCHOOL TRADITIONAL SO OUT THERE

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page