Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through April 22, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » Archive Thru April 2002 » How Long is Someone a Newbie? » Archive through April 22, 2002 « Previous Next »

Tavarua
Posted on Monday, April 22, 2002 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hey, that reminds me. You know who you are. What happened? Still waiting for my tasty cake.
Wolfgang
Posted on Monday, April 22, 2002 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Rule #1 : No flame. No spark.
Rule #2 : Even if rule #1 is ok, make sure your apparatus is not leaking and test it with only water first.

Take care.
Artemis
Posted on Monday, April 22, 2002 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Do you suppose an industrial strength fan directed in the general direction of his apparatus would be enough to prevent his becoming hassenpheper?"

I wouldn't bet the house (and your life) on it.
Gettingsane
Posted on Monday, April 22, 2002 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

SO YOU
ARE YOU NO GETTING SANE
THAT YOU KNOW SO
ABLE TO SETTLE AN ISSUE
ON LOUCHE
WORMWOOD OR ANISE BASE OR
COMBINATION OF BOTH ELEMENTS OUT THERE
Artemis
Posted on Monday, April 22, 2002 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

But the answer to how to get Hausgemacht is:

1. To get knowledge or
2. To get knowledgable friends.
Artemis
Posted on Monday, April 22, 2002 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"And how much (hopefully valuable) input you contribute to the board."

Yes.

"The question isn't how new you are. It's how obsessed you are -- that's what counts!"

Also yes.

Which is why I said "Once a newbie always a newbie". One who proves him(her)self quickly, I quickly forget he's new. One who proves himself over time, who remembers he was new once? Also there are people who had much to offer, but didn't have the staying power (obsession?), and so they're long gone.

On the other hand, there are those who prove themselves *newbies* over time, they are reborn into newbieness ("Die Daily", said Uncle Al, and these newbies practice that in retrograde).

Thus, always a newbie, once a newbie, to look at my original declaration in a mirror, so to speak, and it may be more accurate from that perspective.
Wolfgang
Posted on Monday, April 22, 2002 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Good one Chev!

And how much (hopefully valuable) input you contribute to the board.
Chevalier
Posted on Monday, April 22, 2002 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

The question isn't how new you are. It's how obsessed you are -- that's what counts!
Mr_Rabid
Posted on Monday, April 22, 2002 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Smell the magic, Wolfman!

Quite so- newbieness is just time.

I would say overall that such samples as pass around are probably better appreciated by hausgemachters than by anyone else- to them, a taste is also an education.

To me, it's the chance to identify some herbs, maybe, and to have a good drink.

I know a fellow, very fond of carrots (and pellets) who is trying to work out a setup.

Unfortunately, the only viable space he has right now also contains two water heaters and their attendant pilot lights. His fear of alchahol vapor ignition has thus far halted his plans...

Do you suppose an industrial strength fan directed in the general direction of his apparatus would be enough to prevent his becoming hassenpheper?
Wolfgang
Posted on Monday, April 22, 2002 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Vera`s definition is good but non exclusive.

Those who have openly admitted their hausgematching activities are more likely to get involved in sample exchanges even if they are almost new to the forum and those who have nothing to do about it can be long time and most valued members of the forum without having the chance to taste any.

Getting a free sample is not a matter of being a long time member, it`s just a matter of circumstances, friendship, informations or exchanges or just being lucky to be at the right place at the right time. Many newbies/lurkers have sampled the Moonmans brew just because they are friends of mine or are at least fellow Montrealers absintheurs.

Sometimes the Moonman likes to get feedback from serious absintheurs but sometimes it`s also fun to get feedback from people who knows only about the legend and watch their face as they sip their very first absinthe.

Next weekend I`m throwing a small private party and in less than an hour a bottle that took me many hours to make will disappear in the avid mouth of absinthe newbies. Why ? Because I want to see and *smell* the magic of 12-15 absinthes glass being poured at the same time in the same room and shared amongst friends... (ok ok, I won't probably get my last shipment of spoons in time so it will probably be made in two pass unless some people prefer it without sugar...)

You see, newbiness have nothing to do with hausgematche...
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Sunday, April 21, 2002 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Which in itself is sometimes better than nothing... I mean, what a minute?

Lemme rethink that one.
Lordhobgoblin
Posted on Sunday, April 21, 2002 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Indeed it is Head, but sometimes you end up with a gift of nothing.
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Sunday, April 21, 2002 - 5:25 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

The most rewarding gift, is the one you don't ask for.
Artemis
Posted on Sunday, April 21, 2002 - 5:21 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Once a newbie, ALWAYS a newbie.
Lordhobgoblin
Posted on Sunday, April 21, 2002 - 12:35 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'd say 6 months of regular posting takes you out of the 'newbie' category.

Rabid, like you I've never recieved any forumite's 'hausgemachte' in the post but I have had samples of Jade poured for me by Ted in person.

Hobgoblin
(Although I certainly wouldn't turn down any 'haugesmachte' samples sent)
Mkmiller
Posted on Sunday, April 21, 2002 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

newbieness is a state of mind
_Blackjack
Posted on Saturday, April 20, 2002 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Crowlyman:

"Hausgemachte" is not a brand name; it is a description of the circumstances under which the absinthe is made.
Louched_Liver
Posted on Saturday, April 20, 2002 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Rabid,

Turn that frown upside down amigo! We had Jade samples. They were handmade by Ted, and therefore doubly score as homebreaux, and as coming from a famous forumite.

That's if you wanna use Vera's definition. I was thinking more timeframeishly.
Crowlyman
Posted on Saturday, April 20, 2002 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

So where would someone get this Hausgemachte?

I have seen it mentioned here a few times but have thus far been unable to locate this elixer.
Robertsmith
Posted on Saturday, April 20, 2002 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

i'm a virgin
Mr_Rabid
Posted on Saturday, April 20, 2002 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I am a newbie, and I've been here since 98 or so.

Sigh- so unloved... think I'll have a drink...
Verawench
Posted on Saturday, April 20, 2002 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hey, that looks like one of my cats.

Meow. Bad kitty.
Crowlyman
Posted on Saturday, April 20, 2002 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I am still a newbie, then.

Hint Hint ;)
Verawench
Posted on Saturday, April 20, 2002 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Until he or she receives a free sample of hausgemachte from any of the well-known forumites.
Louched_Liver
Posted on Saturday, April 20, 2002 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

??

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page