Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through April 23, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » Archive Thru May 2002 » Gratitude » Archive through April 23, 2002 « Previous Next »

Admin
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2002 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hogsmacking is a po' white trash allusion to "hausgemachters"

Cuz, like, who can pronouce THAT
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2002 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hogsmackin' boy! You know what it is.

It's fairy sqeezin'. As in "to squeeze the fairy".
Chevalier
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2002 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"This forum is the tip of the iceberg; the bulk of the dicussion in this area is beneath the surface, and has been for years; trust me on that one."

I trust you; I've never been beneath the surface, which is fine. That world belongs to the hausgemachters and their friends, as it should.

"What topic? ABSINTHE??"

Cute. I was referring to the topic of an illegal brew. On the one hand, hausgemachters are circumspect; on the other, they want their glories shown in public, in this case with a hefty dose of teasing for the non-hausgemachters. "Hogsmacking friend"? Are we supposed to know what this means? Or is this a way to make those who are "in the know" feel good and everyone else feel left out?

I really don't mean to rain on a parade; I'm just trying to understand your words.
Artemis
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2002 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Good to see the guilty fess up in the new spirit of Mr. Rogersism that is this neighborhood.

"He eats the snouts, and the trotters first ..."

Frank Zappa, "The Torture Never Stops"

Got to love them pickled lips. You get one with a hair or two on it, you'd swear Jack the Ripper took it off a floozy.

I worked at a place once, some of us had a big jar of those lips; we used to pull pranks with them. Hide one in a hard hat, the guy would flip the thing onto his head without looking - nasty jelly starts oozing down his neck. Hid some in cigarette packs, desk drawers. We put one into a guy's lunch box once, he took it home and his pregnant wife was talking with her friend at the kitchen table when he walked in. He had some sort of surprise for her (little did he know) in his lunchbox, so he flipped it open and emptied it onto the table: "Look at THIS!"

That lip went flopping across the table, followed closely by the vomit of the pregnant lady.
Sicboy13
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2002 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Sorry, snouts `n lips, no feet yet!
Sicboy13
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2002 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ring of Fire

THE best Johnny Cash song out there, covered even better by Social Distortion.

Sorry, just had to throw that in, by the way, nice pig feet.
Admin
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2002 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

*ahem*

lips!
Verawench
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2002 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ditto.
Louched_Liver
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2002 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Artemis sez:
"I can think of a million smarmy little posts here, indeed, long threads of such posts that were nothing but chats between two people, and had nothing to do with absinthe to boot."
I am guilty as charged!
Louched_Liver
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2002 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Artemis sez:
"sort of like pinning a blue ribbon on the winning jar of pickled pigs feet at the county fair."
I prefer the snouts.
Snouts.
Lauralanthalasa
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2002 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

LOL Ok. I still want to try some it looks good!!!!
Artemis
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2002 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

>> Where in the Ring of Fire?

> Under your feet, among other places.

Very sorry. I first read that as "Where *is* the Ring of Fire".

I can't be more specific, sorry.
Artemis
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2002 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

> What is it?

Voila la Fee Verte.

> Where'd it come from?

From my hogsmacking friend.

> I'm not even sure why people are posting
> reviews of it.

It wasn't my intent to post a review, just to offer a friend a visual tribute, sort of like pinning a blue ribbon on the winning jar of pickled pigs feet at the county fair. I suppose I did get carried away a little in the wake of Wolfgang's enthusiasm, but no harm was done.

> or perhaps they know him/her well enough to
> feel that he/she wouldn't mind.

What do you think? Obviously we both know him pretty well. This forum is the tip of the iceberg; the bulk of the dicussion in this area is beneath the surface, and has been for years; trust me on that one.

> shouldn't this particular topic be confined to
> private e-mails?

What topic? ABSINTHE??

Offering a tribute to a friend? I can think of a million smarmy little posts here, indeed, long threads of such posts that were nothing but chats between two people, and had nothing to do with absinthe to boot.
Now THAT dross should be confined to email, but I never bitch about it.

> Where in the Ring of Fire?

Under your feet, among other places.
Lauralanthalasa
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2002 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I agree....
But if the artist really wants to be known....SPEAK UP! :)
Chevalier
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2002 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Isn't it up to the artist who crafted that elixir to decide whether or not he/she wants (it) to be known to us all? Otherwise, it's none of our business.

I'm not even sure why people are posting reviews of it. Hopefully Wolfgang and Artemis asked for the maker's permission to do so, or perhaps they know him/her well enough to feel that he/she wouldn't mind. If not, shouldn't this particular topic be confined to private e-mails?

As it stands, it's a hell of a tease.
Robertsmith
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2002 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ok, you guys are a bunch of elitist bastards for putting your little reviews of this new green jewel here and not telling anybody where it came from or even what it is! What is it? Where'd it come from?
Lauralanthalasa
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2002 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

You know that stuff looks REALLY good! It's US made? Where in the Ring of Fire? :)

LauraLaLa
Wolfgang
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2002 - 5:44 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

You should contact me (email in my profile) so we could really make sure we`r talking about the same thing and discuss with him some details I didn't put here.

>To me, that's yellow.

Well, yellowish green ;-)

>GREAT strides in a short time.
Yes, I knew he was working on something but I'm amazed at his results. As I said I'm jealous. For sure that will lead to some friendly competition.

He's probably proud like hell right now and making great efforts to resist the urge to publicly take the credit.

Hopefully I only used small doses so I have some more left for this weekend's party !

Astralmind : Are you still reading the absinthe forum ? If yes, email me and come to my place around 21:30 on apr 27, I will share the last small remaining glass with you.
Artemis
Posted on Monday, April 22, 2002 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

> I like it but prefer it with sugar.

Agree.

> But obviously it`s not the same. Mine is not so
> green (sorry I have no digital camera).

I think it is the same. Possibly the picture doesn't represent the color so well, because I made a gamma correction using Paint Shop

> Color: Light green (typical feuille morte).

We apparently disagree on feuille morte. To me, that's yellow.

> I will confirm later but it`s close to the
> smell of baby powder, talc ?

It did have some of that "baby powder" (Peter's term) character of antique Berger.

> Very strong louche

One of my samples was much stronger than the other. The picture shows the better of the two, which was also the better tasting.

> Damn that smells close to the CF Berger clone!

As noted above, I thought I detected the flavor of that, which is the same as in the antique Berger. Happy to see it confirmed.

> Now it`s time to taste : Thick thick thick.
> Ultra creamy.

Yes yes yes. And yes.

> Many thanks to the artist who crafted that
> elixir.

He has made GREAT strides in a short time.
Wolfgang
Posted on Monday, April 22, 2002 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Side note : without sugar it`s better with a 1:4 ratio. I like it but prefer it with sugar.
Wolfgang
Posted on Monday, April 22, 2002 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Just get my package too. But obviously it`s not the same. Mine is not so green (sorry I have no digital camera).

Here`s a live review...

Pure:

Color: Light green (typical feuille morte).

Scent : amazing ! I have not tasted it yet and I`m just smelling and smelling, trying to figure out what`s this scent. I will confirm later but it`s close to the smell of baby powder, talc ? Very parfumed and flowery.

Taste : Also amazing, I could drink it straight with great pleasure. Anis is strong but this other perfumey mistery balance it...Another sip, is it a lot of hysop ? Humm Not sure but it`s good and complex.

With water:

A small glass 3/4 oz, one small sugar cube, 1:5 ratio and my favorite spoon. Very slowly watered.

Very strong louche (some star anis mixed with green anis for sure). Damn that smells close to the CF Berger clone! Also some peppery smell like in the Henri Bardouin pastis.

Now it`s time to taste : Thick thick thick. Ultra creamy. I`m jealous. It`s a five stars absinthe. One of the best I have tasted so far. I love you mr. X. I don`t know what it would taste without sugar yet but the way I`m tasting it it`s fairy candy. There`s no numbing of the tongue but we can taste star anis just enough to add some spicy edge. It`s a fine exemple of knowing how to use that spice.

Many thanks to the artist who crafted that elixir.

...Now that I have done my homework, let`s have another glass, without sugar this time, just for pleasure.
Wolfgang
Posted on Monday, April 22, 2002 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hummm, judging by the color, I bet I`m waiting for a similar package... I will confirm soon...

Exciting.

Ps.: Those damn tails ! damn damn damn !
Artemis
Posted on Sunday, April 21, 2002 - 5:49 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

The gratitude is for my Hogsmacking friend in America, up there on the Ring of Fire.

Came home for the weekend to find a package from him; also my daughter was there, with a bottle of La Fee. This allowed me to do a side-by-side, which I may have to repeat this afternoon, to be sure I wasn't fooled (!), but BOTH American products (there were samples of two batches) are superior to the La Fee. One almost free of tails flavor, one completely so. Both smooth, fragrant and tasty.

Thank you, my friend.
Artemis
Posted on Sunday, April 21, 2002 - 5:42 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Eye Candy

Yum!
Artemis
Posted on Sunday, April 21, 2002 - 5:37 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Maybe

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page