Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through April 23, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » Archive Thru April 2002 » Correct Me if I'm Wrong » Archive through April 23, 2002 « Previous Next »

Chevalier
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2002 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I just saw this film! IMO, the Danes were geniuses at quietly disturbing, visually haunting cinema. Pre-1914, the artistry of their filmmaking was miles ahead of the more commercial French, Germans and American fare. Then the war wiped them out, with only a few survivors -- like Dreyer -- to soldier on.

Not only is the already-dead protagonist nailed into the coffin; the camera acts as his eyes and shows us what he "sees" through the coffin lid's window as he's being carted to the cemetery: the sky, the tops of buildings, trees.
Artemis
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2002 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I was wrong on a couple of counts in my previous post about the creepy silent vampire movie with the strange shadow behavior, etc.

It was actually by Danish director Carl-Theodor Dreyer, made in 1932, and called "Vampyr".

The whole thing is more like a dream than a movie, where nothing is explained and you're left to draw your own conclusions. There's a scene where the hero is nailed into a glass-lidded coffin and taken out to be buried that evokes Poe's "Premature Burial" way better than anything on screen I've ever seen.
Wolfgang
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2002 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I beg to differ, I didn't find the first two books in the sleeping beauty serie to be tedious. My understanding of english as a second language is not good enough to judge writing quality but I did like the story.
Rimbaud
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2002 - 8:43 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have to agree with Marc & Kallisti. The Hammer Dracula films (particularly those featuring BOTH Lee & Cushing together) and both Nosferatu films are my favorites of the genre.
_Blackjack
Posted on Monday, April 22, 2002 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well, since when has talent had anything to do with success as a writer?
I_B_Puffin
Posted on Monday, April 22, 2002 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I agree with you Blackjack, about her writing. The first book of hers I read was Sleeping Beauty, and Anne Rice made sex and S&M boring and tedious. I also read the Vampire Lestat when her Vampire books became popular. I didn't like it either. The only way I can explain her popularity, is a fad that came out at the right time. It surely isn't because of her "talent".
Absinthespoon
Posted on Monday, April 22, 2002 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

LaCroix, sweetie.

It's fabulous.
_Blackjack
Posted on Monday, April 22, 2002 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I was flipping around on the TV at my girlfriend's (I don't have cable) and there was a "Forever Knight" marathon on. She asked me what it was about, and I said "It's just like "Angel", except "Angel" doesn't suck." They even both have cello music theme songs.

FK actually managed to have a few redeeming episodes, and Livia, LaCroix's daughter/sire, was just fucking EVIL. It also had one of the best endings of any series...

I am fare more tolerant of crapppy TV and movies than I am of crappy books, since books require an active effort on my part. I can just leave the TV on and stop paying attention, but if a book doesn't grab me, I'm not going to bother.
Thegreenimp
Posted on Monday, April 22, 2002 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The best TV Vamp, Forever Knight's LaCroix, totally unrepentant, and glad to be immortal.
Thegreenimp
Posted on Monday, April 22, 2002 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The bar scene in Near Dark is Great.
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Monday, April 22, 2002 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Artemis,
"Interview With the Vampire" Up for it? Fuck yeah! It'd be kick ass to drink beer, eat pork rinds and comment on what a pussy that character Brad Pitt plays.

"But Lestat, I DON'T WANNA BE A VAMPIRE!!!" WAH, Fuckin' Wah!!!!!...

Then we could saddle up to my favorite (Nascent!) NEAR DARK. That's the real vampire "B" movie shite fer me. It's got a lotta "B"s. Bikers, Bars, Beers, Bleach Blonde boobies, and of course Blood. It's the vampire movie (if I may borrow the phrase Marc) for the Pabst Blue Ribbon set.

"I hate when they ain't shaved" -Severen
Thegreenimp
Posted on Monday, April 22, 2002 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Chelsea Quinn Yarbro's Saint Germain series is extremely good, I prefer it to Anne Rice's work.
I love the short story Cabin 33, where St. Germain dispatches an interloping vamipire, whith the line "You have been watching too many Hammer films"...........fun read.
Personally my all time favorite vampire story.
Jay
Mr_Rabid
Posted on Monday, April 22, 2002 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Anne Rice's prose is a nice purple shade- if you are in the mood for it, it's great.

I actually respect her more as a writer now than I did when I first read her vampire books as she seems to have conciously attempted to emulate the original gothic novel style.

Of course, the last time I tried to read one of those, I only made it to the end through willpower. She made the Devil himself kinda lame and whiny, and that seems to be the pattern for all but a very few of her characters. No sympathy in me for them, and thereby no interest in what happens.

And Lost Boys rules! >;P
Nascentvirion
Posted on Monday, April 22, 2002 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I enjoyed Anne Rices VC's, The Vampire Lestat is my favorite one out of that series. The Saint Germaine books by Chelesa Quinn Yarboo I've heard are really good too. I've yet to read any though. Buffy is crap, Angel is crap.... Anything that has to do with the WB is crap. Anyone like the Warlock movies ?? I liked the first one, Julian Sands makes a good bad guy. He also did a vampire film as well but I cannot remember the name.
Absinthespoon
Posted on Monday, April 22, 2002 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I agree that some of Anne Rice's more recent writings are somewhat painful to read, but I actually loved Interview. I could picture every scene vividly because of her very descriptive style. At the time, Rice lived just a few blocks away from me.

I remember when the movie was made, Rice was very upset at the choice of Tom Cruise as Lestat. I hated the idea too, because I thought Cruise would ruin the movie. But when I saw it, I thought he was fantastic, and it totally changed my opinion of Cruise. Apparently Rice thought he had pulled it off brilliantly too.

It's all a matter of taste, I agree that Buffy is crap, and I can't watch Dark Shadows because it is just too cheesy, just like I can't watch the original Star Trek (actually that's a mixture of cheesiness and dislike for William Shatner).
Artemis
Posted on Monday, April 22, 2002 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I've tossed many a book, picked it up, plunged back into the briar patch, and at the end, was happy I did. "The Hobbit" was one such.

But I honestly don't remember anything about the quality of Rice's prose in that book. What captured me within the first chapter or so was her dead-on descriptions of scenes I knew very well from Louisiana, for example, the miasma that is a water-logged graveyard in the summer heat.

There are many reasons to appreciate a book; the quality of the prose is only one of them. Not that I'm admitting hers is bad; I don't remember. But I suspect it's well better than average.
Angryp
Posted on Monday, April 22, 2002 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Who could forget the absinthe scene in Bram Stoker's Dracula? (But if someone has already mentioned it, and I've forgotten it, my apoligies)

Not a big Anne Rice fan, myself. Never really cared for Buffy either.

As far as vampire genre media, I'm more a fan of Laurell Hamilton's Anita Blake more guns approach to vampire hunting. The last book in the series was a little disappointing, but the series as a whole has been pretty good brain candy.
_Blackjack
Posted on Monday, April 22, 2002 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Sorry, I got all of 4 pages into "Interview" before I had to toss it accross the room in disgust. Her prose is just...painful.
Artemis
Posted on Monday, April 22, 2002 - 8:36 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I don't think I've ever seen a vampire movie I didn't appreciate in some way, but Anne Rice's "Interview" broke the mold, and the movie faithfully follows the book. Excellent book, very good movie. Tom Cruise's best performance.

Recently I saw an old silent vampire movie (French) that I *think* predates even the original Nosferatu. There was only one professional actor in the movie; it was very
"atmospheric" and creepy. The vampire was female (although she looked male), an alchemist of sorts. There were scenes of sprites (demons?) frolicking in the moonlight, and many bizarre, unexplained scenes, and many effects that later became almost stock footage for vampire movies.

For instance, there were shadows detached from their people ... shades of Gary Oldman (pun!) with his wild hairdo, stretching his talons toward Renfield, and Mr. Burns from the Simpsons, bouncing his his yoyo. Interestingly, I saw Devo pull off that same trick on stage long before the Dracula movie with Oldman came out. The drummer was playing a very large pair of congas and his shadow loomed large on a plain background behind him. At some point he walked away from the drums and the shadow kept playing them. That was in the Saenger Theater in NOLA. Killer show.

The actor who best expressed the loneliness and pain of living hundreds of years, while remaining too loathsome to make you feel sorry for him, was definitely Klaus Kinski in the newer of the Nosferatu films. Good musical score in that one, too.

Who can forget Cheech Marin in "Dusk till Dawn": "Big pussy, little pussy, hairy pussy, stinky pussy ..."
Chevalier
Posted on Monday, April 22, 2002 - 8:01 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Tony Scott's THE HUNGER (1983). Catherine Deneuve as a bisexual vampire, alongside David Bowie and Susan Sarandon. Heroine to lesbians, goths, and artistically inclined teenage boys.
Nascentvirion
Posted on Monday, April 22, 2002 - 7:41 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I've seen it a very long time ago, I remember it being decent. If I'm not mistaken these people get trapped in this town that is overrun with Vampires. Something to that affect.
Absinthespoon
Posted on Monday, April 22, 2002 - 7:33 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

According to IMDB, Grace Jones' vampire movie was Vamp (1986). Did anyone see it? Grace Jones rules!
Nascentvirion
Posted on Monday, April 22, 2002 - 7:22 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Blade 2 was really good. Alot better than the first. Anyone remember that Vampire Movie called "Near Dark" about Vampires that travel the road in a Van. Didnt Grace Jones also star in a vampire movie ??
Absinthedrinker
Posted on Monday, April 22, 2002 - 7:13 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

For a really high T&A rating Jess Franco's 'Female Vampire' is hard to beat. Award for weirdest film with 'Vampire' in the title is probably shared between Rollin's films 'Requiem for a Vampire' and 'Rape of the Vampire'
Chrysippvs
Posted on Monday, April 22, 2002 - 7:13 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

What about Barnabas Collins...I am watching Dark Shadows right now....It is like a Hammer Soap, it is a shame that Sci-fi will run like 10 episodes in order then flip out and go someone else in the series...

Nosferatu was great...That is always how I imagined vampires. I hate the whole romanticizing of the vampire myth. They were disease carrying animated corpses over two weeks old...they could not seduce anyone unless they did it half a block away.

Neat vampire trivia: In 1459 a book was published by Rabbis in present day Poland in which over 100 anti-vampire amulets were prescribed. The book only exists in a few copies, I have not been able to find one in any format...

- J

Best Vampire media:

Castlevania
Vampire Hunter D (and the new one)
Gary Oldman as Dracula
Vlad Tepes movie by the Romanian Gov't.
Fright Night
From Dusk to Dawn
hammer stuff

worst
Lost boys
anything by anne rice

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page