Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

... 5 / 24 / 02 ...

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » Archive Thru April 2002 » ... 5 / 24 / 02 ... « Previous Next »

Rudolf
Posted on Monday, April 29, 2002 - 7:24 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Woohoo! Firewater! :)

I'm headed out tomorrow to start the drive down to Atlanta to catch the last few shows of the Firewater tour.. It's amazing, I can't afford to buy myself food but I'll spend money buying Absinthe & following bands around the country.

Ahh, the life of a college student is so nice :)

-rudy
Joalco
Posted on Sunday, April 28, 2002 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Last night was beautiful, as well. Firewater at Emo's. The crowd was disappointingly small, but very enthusiastic. Got to hang out with Tod A. for a short time after the show and offer a few words of thanks.

Anybody who hasn't already should check out the Ponzi Scheme, their 2nd album. It's damn-near perfect.
Joalco
Posted on Friday, April 26, 2002 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the tip on the Puppy Gristle. I wasn't aware that it was already on sale. Needless to say, I went directly and procured myself a copy.

I also picked up the limited edition rerelease of the KMFDM "Opium" album.

And now, the wait begins...
Rudolf
Posted on Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

That puppy gristle cd is/was available at http://www.subconsciousstudios.com/ - limited edition of 1000, internet only blah blah blah. It is a jam with the full lineup of Puppy, Genesis P-Orridge and Larry Thrasher.

The first twenty minutes are quite good, it starts to drag in the last 20, but still nice to listen to.

-rudy
Verawench
Posted on Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Bad teeth? In that case I feel sorry for the person who finished his chai.

I do think he is one of the most brilliant songwriters of our time. I can pinpoint the most complex emotional states of my little existence with just a few lines of his verse.
Robertsmith
Posted on Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

hey I saw Gira in NYC w/ Angels of Light (I'll never abbreviate their name because its AOL!), and it was beautiful. He's a very nice guy. I asked him about his Body Lovers project and he told me he really wanted to do shows as the Body Lovers but couldn't get up the dough to do it. He has bad teeth though....
So if you haven't heard the Body Lovers, you must absolutely must pick it up. Super intense. Definitely music to eat a bullet to.
Meat_Nipples
Posted on Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Joalco, your Angels experience sounds very similar to mine. The venue was small and cheap and at the end of the show, Gira walked around and talked to everyone. He was friendly, a bit distant, and very intense. I didn't bring anything for him to sign, I already have both Angels cds with his signature, but he did (cheerfully) give autographs to quite a few people. He didn't drink any beer, as he was sipping whiskey all night between songs. A friend of mine who is obsessed with the band found Gira's half drank chai tea and finished it. I think he has hepatitis now. Small price I guess.
Mr_Rabid
Posted on Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

People suck.

I would love the chance to see those guys, and I would be happier to hear NEW stuff than old.

Sometimes it is harder to get into music you haven't heard, especially if the artist changes their style radically.

David Bowie's 'Outside' tour, for instance- he played only new songs, in what was a major shift from his older work. I liked the show, but would have appreciated it much more if the album had been available here before the tour.
Sicboy13
Posted on Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

New Puppy? I can't wait, I'm just glad to see someone besides myself that is appreciative of their contribution/style.

Keep me posted! :)
Joalco
Posted on Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Nascent ~

The Ohgr show here was more of the same. The venue was only half-full and one of the biggest complaints I heard was that he "didn't play any Skinny Puppy songs." Either that or "this doesn't sound anything like Skinny Puppy."

I, however, thought the show was kick-ass on its own merit. The projection screen work was top-notch, too.
Joalco
Posted on Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Meaty ~

I saw the Angels of Light play here in November of last year, and what a treat! He played the small indoor stage at Emo's. He sat on a stool two feet away from me, closed the show with "Goddamn the Sun," and then hung out at the bar and had a couple of beers with my best friend and I. On top of that, he signed a couple of CD"s and my copy of "The Consumer." Not too shabby for a five-dollar show...
Nascentvirion
Posted on Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 6:38 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

People here in the scene are fucking idiots, for one they didnt even appreciate the fact Ogre was here doing a show. People were being whiney and saying "I would have expected to be more" & " I wish they would've played a Skinny Puppy song". Blah Blah Blah, I was like its Ogre & Cevin Key in the same room doing something you havent heard before, not a rehash of Skinny Puppy be thankful they played here. (We get crappy shows in Pittsburgh) People just didnt get it, they were being a bunch of brats. I suppose they would have had to dig up Dwaynne Grottel and stick his corpse behind the keyboards, to make these people happy. I enjoyed the show and anytime Ogre & Cevin Key are together on stage I want to be there. I've heard rumors of a new Puppy/Gristle collaboration and new puppy material.
Meat_Nipples
Posted on Wednesday, April 24, 2002 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I saw an Ogre/Cevin Key show in Baltimore about a year ago and thought they were amazing.

The best band I have seen recently at a small venue in my area was Angels of Light (M. Gira of the Swans). It was a truly spiritual experience, although in a kind of violent, ugly and distinctively human way. Like participating in the brutal rituals of some African tribe (such as female-circumcisions).

Good god Im drunk, my apologiessss (with a slurred "s").
Joalco
Posted on Wednesday, April 24, 2002 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

BlackJack ~

The recent Pigface lineup was pretty damn good. They always have a rotating roster, so there's no way for me to know who was at your show.

Here in Austin it was Martin Atkins & Dickless on drums, Kryztoff from Bile & the guitarist from Rollins Band on guitars, Meg Lee Chin, Chris Connelly, Bobdog Caitlin, Charles Levi from TKK on bass... A pretty fookin' cool lineup, and an awesome show. Vanilla Ice was playing the same venue the next night, and in honor, they played "Ice Ice Baby" as an encore.
Joalco
Posted on Wednesday, April 24, 2002 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I saw the Ohgr / cEvin Key show here in Austin last summer. I was back in the country for two and a half weeks, and a friend of mine was kindly enough to secure me a ticket while I was in Germany. The show was awesome, and it was a real treat to not only see Ogre and Key together again, but also to see them preview some material from cEvin's then-unreleased new album...

On top of that, I got Ogre to sign my limited-edition copy of Welt...
Nascentvirion
Posted on Wednesday, April 24, 2002 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Godflesh were supposed to come to Pittsburgh but had to cancel due to a throat infection. Last show I went too was Ogre & Cevin Key.. That rocked
_Blackjack
Posted on Wednesday, April 24, 2002 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Pigface were in town a few weeks back. The thing is, the tour management refused to say WHICH members of Pigface (which is sort of an industrial Emmerson, Lake and Palmer...) were actually touring. They thought it would ruin th surprise.

Saw Siouxsie and the Banshees last week. It's been a long time since I've seen a performer so effectively grab an audience by the balls and own them for 2 hours. And she is the sexiest 45-year-old women I've ever seen, without trying to look like she was 20. (She looks better than she did at 20, for my money).

I missed the VNV Nation show the next day, which I'm told was even better. I also missed Flogging Molly the week before. Damn work schedule!

That reminds me, I need to get tickets to see Nick Cave next week.

I really do need to get out and see more live music. I just so rarely have my evenings free.
Joalco
Posted on Wednesday, April 24, 2002 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

A Pigface show is always a blast. At the Metro show in December, Meg Lee Chin ended up singing two songs from atop my shoulders, Chris Connelly continually snarled right in my face, and we spent the short time before they left on the tour bus checking out Kryztoff from Bile's new CD, Demonic Electronic. My car broke down, I spent $60 on cab fares, and ate soggy pizza with Martin Atkins in a humid drizzle, but goddam it was fun....
Morriganlefey
Posted on Wednesday, April 24, 2002 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The hubby and I saw Pigface when they spun through San Fran a few years ago. Genesis (Mr. Psychic TV) actually had a seizure on stage, whether that was planned or not it ROCKED. The highlight of the evening (for my husband at least)was he and a few other audience members getting to go up on stage and yell "fuck it up Pigface" into the mic.

Ah, life's little pleasures...
Joalco
Posted on Wednesday, April 24, 2002 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Meg is a good friend of mine. Any time she and her current band (backing her solo work -- including Siebold from Hate Dept.) come through town they end up catching some down time and massive amounts of movies here at the house.

A cool bunch, to say the least. Meg's living in London again, so I don't see her as often as I'd like to.

In fact, when she came through town with Pigface last December, the band left thirty minutes after they finished their set. They had to drive from Austin to Tempe, Arizona....
Robertsmith
Posted on Wednesday, April 24, 2002 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

i saw pigface in rochester ny. Meg lee chin of gay bikers on acid sang with them and she threw her tampon into the audience for the last song, and martin atkins spit literally about 150 feet to the back of the venue we saw them in! fuck it up pigface fuck it up....
Pikkle
Posted on Wednesday, April 24, 2002 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I worked at the Blind Pig in Ann Arbor years ago... Pigface came through on a few occasions... was always the most raucous show indeed! Then I woke up, got out of the sound business and like my father and his father before him, stayed drunk for the next thirty years... oh shit, I'm projecting again, gotta stop doing that!
I have to say though that the best totally annoying show I worked there had to have been the night the Flat Duo Jets played... the show hadn't been promoted (very typical of Prism Productions) and about fifteen middle aged tourists showed up by mistake, stayed about five minutes then begged for their money back! Hah, it was sheer joy!
Joalco
Posted on Wednesday, April 24, 2002 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

K ~

I absolutely love Badalamenti's soundtracks. Even when he goes off into previously uncharted territories (ie: The Straight Story), he has such a beautifully distinctive style. I broke down a couple of weeks ago and bought the Mulholland Drive soundtrack. The Spanish version of "Crying" just kills...

Pikkle ~

Fuck it up, indeed... I do work for the Invisible label, so any time those guys are in town, they end up hanging out or (more often than not) crashing at my house. There's a (could-have-been) great picture from SXSW of myself, Martin Atkins, and Joe Lifto. However, the drunkard whom I let handle my camera botched it. Ohh well, there's always next year.

~j
Pikkle
Posted on Wednesday, April 24, 2002 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

fuck it up Pigface, fuck it up Pigface, fuck it up Pigface, fuck it up Pigface, fuck it up Pigface, fuck it up Pigface, fuck it up Pigface, fuck it up Pigface, fuck it up Pigface, fuck it up Pigface, fuck it up Pigface, fuck it up Pigface, fuck it up Pigface, fuck it up Pigface, fuck it up Pigface, fuck it up Pigface, fuck it up Pigface, fuck it up Pigface, fuck it up Pigface, fuck it up Pigface, fuck it up Pigface, fuck it up Pigface, fuck it up Pigface, fuck it up Pigface, fuck it up Pigface, fuck it up Pigface, fuck it up Pigface, fuck it up Pigface...
Admin
Posted on Wednesday, April 24, 2002 - 7:09 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

heh, I produced a spontaneous sob fest listening to the FWWM soundtrack last night.

cheers to you!
Joalco
Posted on Wednesday, April 24, 2002 - 12:10 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

The date is set. Friday, May 24th, a fellow DJ and I here in Austin will be spinning at the Elysium, opening (and doing after hours) for a Chris Connelly solo show. The guy's a legend in some circles, having sung and played guitar for Ministry, Revolting Cocks, Pigface, Murder Inc, the Damage Manual, not to mention his own projects, such as Chris Connelly and the Bells (somewhere along the lines of David Bowie / Tom Waits / Nick Cave). I'd love to see some of you good forumites out that nite, even if I'm only able to offer a nod or play a few requests.

It will be the inaugural show for a monthly night that myself and two other DJ's will be spinning at the club. We're tenatively calling it "The Pink Room," after the bar in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me, although some nights may be billed as the Black Lodge, another Lynch nod.

Maybe we could arrange a soiree before or after.

Hope to see you there!

~ jc

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page