Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through April 23, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » Archive Thru April 2002 » Film Forum » Archive through April 23, 2002 « Previous Next »

Kafkapie
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2002 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

•Almost any Juzo Itami film (Tampopo, A Taxing Woman, Minbo to name three)

YAYA!!! - someone else in the world!!
2loucheltrec
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2002 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

in an interview with peter jackson on charlie rose he said he just finished editing the dvd version which he said is an additional 30 (or so) extra minutes. let's postpone peter's crucifiction until after that.
Robertsmith
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2002 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The worst thing about LOTR was the music. I love Howard Shores stuff sometimes (particularly Seven and Silence of the Lambs) but the music for LOTR was some of the most unimaginative typcial movie poo I've ever heard, and there was like 2 1/2 hours of music too (which is the directors fault, not the composers). What ever happened to letting the film breathe and saving music for when emotionally necessary as opposed to having wall to wall score? A film like LOTR should allow for some incredible folk like respresentations of what the people in Middle earth might listen to, but instead they just went the boring hollywood orchestra route. (I did like their use of Choir througout the score though). Overall, though, LOTR was totally incredible. I'm one of those people who doesn't want movies to be "just like the book" because film is a totally different medium from written fiction, and it would be limiting films potential to confine it to simple story telling. Anyone who says "I liked the book better" is an ignoramus. Neither is better, they are merely different....
Chevalier
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2002 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

True. In fact, I mentioned "Bitter Moon" myself. Thank goodness one of us has a good memory -- and it ain't me.

Marccampbell
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2002 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

chevalier,

"Sunrise" was on my list. And Polanski's Bitter Moon, Chinatown and The Tenant have been mentioned.
Angryp
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2002 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

LOTR was well shot and well cast (though Aragorn was a good deal too young and a great deal too pretty). My issues with the film arise from the completely gratutious changes made to the story.

In general, I had no problems with many of the changes up to Rivendell. Giving Arwen more of a role also didn't matter much to me. The elimination of Bombadil and some of the streamlining done in the Shire and Bree were, IMHO, necessary to make the story translate well into film.

I hated:
•The change of Aragorn from confident leader of the Rangers, protector of Eriador, and man-with-a-mission to voluntary exile who is reluctant to take up the mantle of his denstiny
•The ham-handed way the Council of Elrond was handled. Aragorn's identity was supposed to be a secret. Why did almost everyone there know his name?
•The silly wizard's duel. Less said of that, the better.
•Lothlorien.
•Almost none of Tolkien's wonderful prose survived.

I liked:
• The casting in general and Ian Mckellen in particular.
• Most of the sets and production design (Lothlorien and Rivendell excepted).
• Most of the fight scenes.
• The flow of the story up to Weathertop.

In general, I think that Bakshi's animated film done in the 70's was a much truer adaptation of the book. I don't expect that I'll be seeing the next two Jackson films.
Verawench
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2002 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

And "M" was brilliant. Got to see it on the big screen!!
Verawench
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2002 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

In my appetite for Film Noir, "Chinatown" remains a favorite.
Chevalier
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2002 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm very surprised that no one has included at least one film by:

Vittorio De Sica

Abel Gance

Frederico Fellini

Tod Browning

Francois Truffaut

G.W. Pabst

Igmar Bergman

Fritz Lang

Orson Wells

Jean Renoir

Woody Allen

Satyajit Ray (especially the "Apu" trilogy)
_Blackjack
Posted on Monday, April 22, 2002 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Fellowship of the Rings on the same level with Young Einstein? I mean, even if you didn't dig the story, you have to admit that FotR was beautifully shot.
Angryp
Posted on Monday, April 22, 2002 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

In no particular order:

In my seriously like section:
•Moulin Rouge!
- Felt like this movie was made for me. Absolutely loved it.
•Almost any Juzo Itami film (Tampopo, A Taxing Woman, Minbo to name three)
•Sense and Sensibility
•Topsy-Turvy
•Dark City
•The Seven Samurai
•Mediterraneo
•Gattaca

In my guilty pleasures category:
•Pleasantville
•The Truman Show
•The Matrix
•Silverado
•Galaxy Quest
•Ghostbusters
•Conan the Barbarian

The honorable mention category:
•The Shawshank Redemption
•Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
•Apollo 13
•Saving Private Ryan
•Clerks
•Queen Margot

My utterly revile list:
•LOTR: The Fellowship of the Ring
•Navy SEALS
•Saturn 3
•Young Einstein
Marccampbell
Posted on Monday, April 22, 2002 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

There's a great British rock movie about a '70s band that reunites for a tour in the '90s. Its called "STILL CRAZY". Its both hilarious and genuinely moving. The script is by Bruce Robinson who directed the uproarious "WITHNAIL AND I".
Nascentvirion
Posted on Monday, April 22, 2002 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Rockstar looks like good trashy hair metal fun..
Mr_Carfax
Posted on Monday, April 22, 2002 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Agreed, although I did sit down and watch Rock Star on the weekend and enjoyed it thoroughly for the piece of nostalgic fluff it was- it came pretty close to being a Spinal Tap copy without completely crossing the line.
Anatomist
Posted on Monday, April 22, 2002 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I tried to watch Barbarella a few weeks ago, but I couldn't take it. I'm not into the whole 'sit around and pat yourself on the back for understanding how crappy something is with your friends' scene. Life's too short to waste on anything but sincerity. Why not watch something that's actually good?

Hence, you can have the Brady Bunch, Scooby Doo, etc... That whole retro camp/irony scene died and lost any potential for human liberation as far as I'm concerned when REALITY BITES hit the theaters. Now, years later, it's kind of like a corpse that just won't quit stinking.

K.
Alphasoixante
Posted on Monday, April 22, 2002 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

i'm looking for duran duran.
has anyone seen duran duran?
Aion
Posted on Monday, April 22, 2002 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"I think Barberella is boring bad sci-fi"

Marc,
I can´t believe YOU wrote this!

A.
Mr_Carfax
Posted on Sunday, April 21, 2002 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hey Marc, if you are getting into Bollywood movies- see Monsoon Wedding- fantastic story- kick-ass soundtrack, and not a bad intro for Westerners into the genre.
Marccampbell
Posted on Sunday, April 21, 2002 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I think Barberella is boring bad sci-fi.
Verawench
Posted on Sunday, April 21, 2002 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Reason No # 143 why you just can't help but love Barbarella:

"An angel doesn't make love.. an angel IS love"
Aion
Posted on Sunday, April 21, 2002 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

As for SOLARIS, the film was great, but
the book is absolutely outstanding.

DARK CITY is another film I really
loved (it is on Austrian TV today´s evening).

And let´s not forget BARBARELLA.
Sexiest SciFi ever.

A.
Artemis
Posted on Sunday, April 21, 2002 - 5:14 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

By Robertsmith on Friday:

"but don't you think the ultra repetetive use of the goblin's music (Suspiria)":

You mean Goblin, the band, right? Probably the best part of that movie, and a lot less irritating than Neil Young's guitar in "Dead Man". It (Neil's guitar) sets the right tone for that picture, but it really starts to bother me after about 15-20 minutes.

"Charlie and the Chocolate Factory"

I believe that's Willie Wonka. I saw that for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I had never realized he actually KILLED the obnoxious children.
Marccampbell
Posted on Sunday, April 21, 2002 - 3:46 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I am in the middle of watching "Lagaan", a four hour Bollywood epic that is utterly enchanting.
For those of you who haven't yet been introduced to the pleasures of east Indian musicals, this movie is a great introduction.
Joalco
Posted on Saturday, April 20, 2002 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I haven't been able to see Audition yet. It played for one week only here, and I missed out.

I found a region-free DVD copy of Battle Royale on eBay. If you have a region-free player, you can get away cheaper. PokerIndustries.com has copies for $17.99 at last check.

Some of my favorite Oriental flicks as of late include:

Battle Royale
Shiri
Tell Me Something
Shaolin Soccer
and... God of Cookery!
Robertsmith
Posted on Saturday, April 20, 2002 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

DVD copy? Where? I"m there! Also heard Audition was killer, did you see that?

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page