Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through April 24, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » Archive Thru April 2002 » From Hell Absinthe Documentary » Archive through April 24, 2002 « Previous Next »

Wolfgang
Posted on Wednesday, April 24, 2002 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Nothing's wrong about it as long as you'r not expecting something more.

I think this movie could have been gorgeous AND still be more historicaly correct AND be well played AND have some content and more believable characters.

But I agree, it's a hell of a nice looking eye candy.
Raschied
Posted on Wednesday, April 24, 2002 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Maybe the Hughes Bros. are Alan Moore fans? It was an adaptation of his graphic novel.
Verawench
Posted on Wednesday, April 24, 2002 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

What's wrong with gorgeous emptiness?
Wolfgang
Posted on Wednesday, April 24, 2002 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

My comment wasn't mean to be a critic of the American society at all. I was just refering to the marketing oriented, designed for the mass, empty glittering Hollywood kind of show.
Rimbaud
Posted on Wednesday, April 24, 2002 - 8:28 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

>Moulin Rouge is a pile of american trash.(?)

Sorry to tell you, Wolfgang, but Moulin Rouge was made by an Australian director and starred an Australian & a Scotsman.
Brett
Posted on Wednesday, April 24, 2002 - 8:04 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I just don't understand why the Hughes Brothers chose Jack the Ripper. I mean look at their other movies: Menace II Society, Dead Presidents and the documentaries American Pimp and Scratch.

But then, I guess From Hell is another "ghetto" movie, just set in London in the 19th century.
Nascentvirion
Posted on Wednesday, April 24, 2002 - 7:15 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I've heard Amadeaus is being re released in the theater. Which I would love to see on the big screen. Anyone know anything about this ??
Wolfgang
Posted on Wednesday, April 24, 2002 - 7:01 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I agree with Torty.

I'm also an opera fan, owning many operas on CDs, attending to most opera played in Montreal (which is not much )and also attending to university student's operas (my sister's will become the next Calas ;-)).

Moulin Rouge is a pile of american trash. It's fake, fake, fake. I did listen to it up to the end and I wasn't totally bored. It's a great easy and empty entertainment. That's a shiny empty shell. Entertaining at best, ridiculous at worst.

Ok now, how many friends did I just lost ?

Sorry guys but don't worry, I understand that's it's just my opinion and I still love you even if you worship this movie ;-).
Oxygenee
Posted on Wednesday, April 24, 2002 - 5:27 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Don't be so bashful Ian....this could be your big break into stardom....screaming fans, piles of cash, adoring babes. When you're arrested for trashing the penthouse at the Dorchestor, tell your old friends here about it first, before selling the exclusive to OK magazine....
Absinthedrinker
Posted on Wednesday, April 24, 2002 - 2:00 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I may be able to throw some light on the "Absinthe Makes the Heart Grow Fonder featurette"...

At the end of last year I got a call from the MD of Sebor UK whose absinthe was, I believe, used in the film. He had been contacted by a US production company who had been commissioned to make a short for the From Hell DVD and they wanted shots of absinthe paraphenalia, could I oblige? Thinking it would be just that I agreed. In fact the crew were in my house for the entire morning, the absinthe flowed, they hadn't tasted absinthe before, out came the La Bleue and Hausgemachte... I ended up doing pieces to camera on the history of absinthe and probably behaving like a complete prat. Since you are expected to sign the studio release form before viewing the rushes I have absolutely no idea what, if any, of this made it to the DVD. I have been promised a pre-release copy so if it is really dire I will change my handle and reappear as a newbie.
Destiny
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2002 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I thought From Hell was good. The bathtub/absinthe scene was unfortunate, but it did look cool.

Did anyone notice the PeeWee Herman cameo?
Angryp
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2002 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Have to weigh in on Moulin Rouge. Saw it 22 times in the theater (it just ended its run here in NYC - 11 months!). I often carry the DVD around with me so I can pop it into my PowerBook and cruise the extras. One of my favorite movies of all time.

It seems like it was one of the more divisive movies of the past few years. IMHO, if you could buy into the whole musical romance/tragedy thing, you loved it. If you couldn't it left you cold.

I'm a opera lover and many of the themes in MR really resonated in me. The movie really reminded me of La Traviata and (rather less) of La Boheme. I notice in your profile that you're an opera company manger, Tortainglese. I find it interesting that you didn't like Moulin Rouge. All of my opera loving friends loved the film.
Raschied
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2002 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yep. Anchor Bay has fixed that, and spent a lot of extra time cleaning up the print digitally. The movie was shot on cheap film stock, and it is degrading rapidly. The previous DVD release made it worse because the person doing the MPEG-2 encoding had no clue what he was doing. The encode is so bad, the disc will not play certain scenes on certain players without breaking up. You can see chunks of the movie "drop out" like on a dirty DVD. Plus, the color is terrible. I wish I knew what bit rate the old disc was at. It was a perfect example of how NOT to make a DVD.
_Blackjack
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2002 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I haven't seen the remaster of Highlander, but the dynamic range on the original release was intolerable. If you turned it up enough to hear the dialogue, you would get blasted out of your seat as soon as there was a musical cut-away or something 'sploded.
Raschied
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2002 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

This disc is starting the trend of releasing a special "limited edition" that ACTUALLY is a limited edition. The 2 disc set will only be available for a few months. then, there will only be a cheaper 1 disc volume.

Check your local Sam's Club if you are a member. They have a habit of releasing movies WAY before ship date. I saw it at my local one last weekend. I didn't realize it wasn't supposed to street until next month, or I would've grabbed a copy. I got my Immortal Edition of Highlander a couple of months ago at Sam's. Love or hate the movie Highlander, the new remaster is a huge step up in quality from the previous DVD.
_Blackjack
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2002 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Dear god, do you people get out? Whatever you may think of Moulin Rouge, there have been much MUCH MUCH worse movies made. There is an entire sub-industry making movies so bad they could never be released in theaters...

Not to mention Titanic...
Tortainglese
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2002 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have to agree with Verawench on this point. Only Hollywood could mess up as perfect a story as Jack the Ripper. Although all the gloom was appealing, as was Johnny Depp's face. As much as it sucked, it was far better than Moulin Rouge, which is easily the worst film ever made. (IMHO)
Joalco
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2002 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

This is where we'll agree to disagree, Vera. I admit the absinthe scene was way off base, and Heather Graham was way too pretty to be an 1800's London whore.

However, being a fan of the source material, I think the Hughes brothers did a damn fine job of bringing an interesting story to the screen.

And, if you folks are interested, I'll be getting the DVD in the next couple of weeks (a week or two before release), and if finals don't get in the way, I can post an exhaustive preview.
Verawench
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2002 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

One of the few movies I walked out on. The absinthe scene was the last nail in a big ol' coffin of yawns and scoffs.
Rimbaud
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2002 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"From Hell." It's about Jack The Ripper. Good film, minus the historically inaccurate absinthe scene (stupid flaming Czech ritual + laudanum = WRONG!!!)...
Sicboy13
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2002 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

In my humble opinion, the movie itself was very entertaining, done quite well. I disliked the particular ending that was chosen, but that is all i will say as to not ruin it for anyone else. I will be purchasing the DVD when it comes out, though.
Lauralanthalasa
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2002 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Whoa wait what's this movie?
Admin
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2002 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

it's supposed to be a whopper of a dvd, I might add it to the collection. thanks for the hot tip!
2loucheltrec
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2002 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

the dvd is not do out until mid-may, i plan to rent it then since i missed it at the theatre.
Raschied
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2002 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Quote from the review of From Hell: limited edition DVD on www.thedigitalbits.com:

"Rounding things out is a nice historical look at Absinthe in the Absinthe Makes the Heart Grow Fonder featurette..."

I haven't seen the movie or the DVD. Anyone have a review of the featurette?

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page