Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Detroit Electronic Music Festival

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » Archive Thru May 2002 » Detroit Electronic Music Festival « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through April 30, 2002Amnesiac25 4-30-02  5:55 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Pikkle
Posted on Sunday, May 5, 2002 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

It's easy to die in Detroit... everyone's doin it!
Albertcamus
Posted on Sunday, May 5, 2002 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

and plus,if anything "bad" were to happen to you there,you would be known simply as the guy who went to Detroit and died. people would say,"he was a nice fella-meant well,but when people go knocking on hell's gate someone is bound to get pinched."
Pikkle
Posted on Sunday, May 5, 2002 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

there are no friends in Detroit... remember that!
Amnesiac
Posted on Sunday, May 5, 2002 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Can't say I'd necessarily recommend an all out trip to Detroit, Rimbaud. Sure, if you come for the DEMF, but if you don't like the music at all, then I wouldn't come for it. I only like it enough to stand it for about 2 hours. And luckily I live close enough so I can drive in, listen, and leave. But there really isn't enough here to warrant a 'trip' to Detroit. I mean, I like it because I live here, but I certainly wouldn't choose living here over somewhere else. I'm just saying that for those that live here, you can make do and have a pretty fucking good time.

But Rimbaud, don't make any plans to visit Detroit. It's not THAT worth it. Unless you're visiting friends or family. Then it might be worth it.
Rimbaud
Posted on Thursday, May 2, 2002 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

>"Ill bet you cant even buy drugs on the street anymore in downtown Manhattan."

Haven't been there recently, have you? You can get anything you want in the East Village or Lower East Side. It's still great down there. That's where I spend most of my leisure time. I may even be moving downtown to Little Italy soon...
Larsbogart
Posted on Thursday, May 2, 2002 - 6:20 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Maybe you should before they clean it up. Before it becomes "safe"..."clean". Go get dirty. Dirty works.
Downtown Manhattan? Have they scraped out the Jonah Schnimel Nish Bakery yet? Or that great dollar hot dog cafeteria where all the junkies used to go for another trendy - bullshit - happening new restaurant Barbara Walters and John Miller can "nosh" in? I prefer the old junkies to plain old junk.
Ill bet you cant even buy drugs on the street anymore in downtown Manhattan. Thats disgraceful...its a sin...
Rimbaud
Posted on Wednesday, May 1, 2002 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Times Square is nothing more than an overblown tourist district, albeit a very large and bright one. I should know, I live one block over from the so-called "New 42nd Street." Just turn right at the giant Cup-O-Noodles. Anyway, to experience what makes NYC great, you need to look elsewhere. Downtown, for starters...

As for Detroit, I cannot comment. I have never been there, and the thought of doing so has never crossed my mind, to be quite honest.
Larsbogart
Posted on Wednesday, May 1, 2002 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hold up amnesiac, not so fast. Lars agrees.
Detroit doesnt pretend to be anything,
Its the pretenders who cant see it for what it is. So they fake it. They dont know what buttons to push or what happens when you push them. So complain.
Goddamnit everyman for himself.
Detroit is a fuckin keeper, stand at attention.
You can have that Times Square / Rudi Guilliani bullshit.
Sure, sure, start fakin it and leave the details to Joe.
Amnesiac
Posted on Wednesday, May 1, 2002 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Punks. All of you. Detroit definitely is all you say it is. Detroit is what it is. It doesn't pretend any differently. Maybe some people try to jazz it up, but it knows itself best. Detroit is a fucking keeper, man. It'll be around now and forever. Only gets better with time.

BUT that's obviously just my opinion. I won't find anyone in this forum to agree with me, so we'll all just have to agree on disagreeing with this one.

'Nuff said.
Louched_Liver
Posted on Wednesday, May 1, 2002 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Indeed, before the riots, Detroit really was somewhere. Then nothing but decline from the end of the 60s on. Sad.
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Wednesday, May 1, 2002 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The Uniroyal tire is now the Firestone tire... No shit!

It's in Dearborn though.
Etienne
Posted on Wednesday, May 1, 2002 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Detroit must have been one Hell of a town before it died.
Louched_Liver
Posted on Wednesday, May 1, 2002 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Please tell me the Uniroyal tire is still there. And the world's largest stove at the fairgrounds.
Louched_Liver
Posted on Wednesday, May 1, 2002 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

That neon sign was one of the most beautiful in the country. I'm glad I got to see it when it was extant.
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Wednesday, May 1, 2002 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

When Detroit lost VERNORS they threw the City right into the dumper!!!
Pikkle
Posted on Wednesday, May 1, 2002 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Sanders and Stroh...
Louched_Liver
Posted on Wednesday, May 1, 2002 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

And it's a Rainy Night in Soho.
Louched_Liver
Posted on Wednesday, May 1, 2002 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

8 Mile Road-Strip clubs and auto parts stores. Where can a jockey get fuckin' Faygo?
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Wednesday, May 1, 2002 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

BURN, GRATIOT BURN!!!
Louched_Liver
Posted on Wednesday, May 1, 2002 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

And Oopsy the Clown and the Electrifyin' Mojo are goin' to drag race to Hitsville USA.
Pikkle
Posted on Wednesday, May 1, 2002 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I can't wait for Devil's Night... we're gonna dig Coleman A Young up and set Bill Bond's wig ablaze in effigy!
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Wednesday, May 1, 2002 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I can't wait for Mother's Day.
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Wednesday, May 1, 2002 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Just the fact that I came from it,
in it and all around it makes it a
much better place.
Perruche_Verte
Posted on Wednesday, May 1, 2002 - 7:29 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

And what are you doing to make THAT a better place? Huh? :-)
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Wednesday, May 1, 2002 - 7:23 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I don't announce myself as being
"from" anywhere. Other than "from"
the warm spot between my mothers
legs.
Perruche_Verte
Posted on Wednesday, May 1, 2002 - 6:12 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

So why don't you be like good mobile Americans and find somewhere else to be "from"?
Pikkle
Posted on Tuesday, April 30, 2002 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Detroit will always suck, final.
Louched_Liver
Posted on Tuesday, April 30, 2002 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

May I 2nd that, as someone who has thought, make that known, Detroit has sucked for about 30 of my years on this planet.
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Tuesday, April 30, 2002 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Detroit sucks. Plain and simple.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page