Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

La Bleue or Kubler?

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » Archive Thru May 2002 » La Bleue or Kubler? « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through April 26, 2002Sicboy1325 4-26-02  9:08 am
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Abszim
Posted on Monday, May 6, 2002 - 6:33 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I received my order from Markus on friday, Kubler and Pernod 68. I have been tasting only the spanish versions (and the Czechs), Segarra has been my favorite. I feel like I missed a lot, because to me, Kubler was fresh, clear and very interesting, I liked it a lot. I tasted the "nutty" flavour, but for me it wasn´t disturbing. It is without a doubt the best one I have tasted.

Now I was wondering about the criticism, how does it compare to La Bleues, for example to wolvies?

Next time I will order some Francois Guy to compare.

K_
Pikkle
Posted on Sunday, May 5, 2002 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

no
Mvario
Posted on Sunday, May 5, 2002 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Just wondering if anyone has tried, or even heard of this: "Absinthe" Bleu des Glaciers, Saxon?

Bleu des Glaciers
Raschied
Posted on Friday, May 3, 2002 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

That would explain the buzzing in my head...
Nascentvirion
Posted on Friday, May 3, 2002 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Next week... Star Wars Episode 2 all those light "SEBOR" battles.
Crowlyman
Posted on Friday, May 3, 2002 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"...my magical absinthe x-ray eyeballs!!!"

LOL...gotta love them 'secondary effects' eh?
Destiny
Posted on Friday, May 3, 2002 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Just called home and my order from Markus has arrived! PLUS, I have four days off from work to leisurely test my new stash. Ain't life great?

If I have a few glasses and then go see Spiderman, maybe I'll be able to see through Kirsten Dunst' shirt with my magical absinthe x-ray eyeballs!!!
Nascentvirion
Posted on Friday, May 3, 2002 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Here is a link for online currancy conversion. So when you order international you can figure out the cost.

http://www.xe.net/ucc/
Wolfgang
Posted on Friday, May 3, 2002 - 7:02 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

...And I wonder why he said so. Any explanation Peter ?
Absinthespoon
Posted on Friday, May 3, 2002 - 7:00 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

peter said a large amount of angelica (in chartreuse) would make you feel like vomiting through your nose.
Wolfgang
Posted on Friday, May 3, 2002 - 5:37 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

*gasp!*

This is obviously a mistake. The sad part is angelica seeds are very expensive so that's a big waste.
Aion
Posted on Thursday, May 2, 2002 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Check the recipie for the "SWISS WHITE"
on Frenchman´s site.
This, without the Genipi, could be the
recipie for Kübler.
Look at the amount of angelica seeds!!!
Wolfgang
Posted on Thursday, May 2, 2002 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Moonmans banned gentiana from his list of herb. Angelica seeds are very powerfull but when used in tiny amount it`s quite tasty.
Aion
Posted on Thursday, May 2, 2002 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The Kubler tastes sharp, burnt and pungent and
thin.
One possibility could really be burnt herbs,
but I believe he just used too much
angelica seeds (yes it tastes like chewing
angelica seeds).
Or maybe also too much gentiane.
For a professional distiller this product is
a shame. Guy´s is MUCH better imo.
A.
Louched_Liver
Posted on Thursday, May 2, 2002 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

G'wan ya nut!
Pikkle
Posted on Thursday, May 2, 2002 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'll be in NY and I just ordered a half dozen bottles of Oxygenée and Kubler....... hopefully I can save one of each til then, doubt it though... and by the way, I LIKE SEGARRA ALOT!!!!!!!

Meñana.......
Tabreaux
Posted on Thursday, May 2, 2002 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Read my review.
Wolfgang
Posted on Thursday, May 2, 2002 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I haven't tasted it but from what I read, assuming a possible misuse of language, it can be two things : weird wood barel aging (like Segarra) or distillation pushed too far (tails).

If there's some in NY I'll give it a tiny try and will figure out what it is very fast.
Artemis
Posted on Thursday, May 2, 2002 - 7:48 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

> Her last bottle of #3 I had actually
> "unlouches" if you let it sit ...

ALL absinthe will do that, for obvious reasons. How long it takes to happen may vary.

> I guess that means the Kubler isn't
> artificially sweetened at all, which is a good
> thing.

NO legitimate absinthe is sweetened in the bottle, artificially or otherwise.

> I'll be damned if there's a better word to
> describe it than "nutty"

... and ...

> Or maybe they just burnt the wormwood?

Flashback: "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" - Sean Penn thumping himself in the head with a canvas deck shoe!
Robertsmith
Posted on Thursday, May 2, 2002 - 6:57 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

So I had 3 glasses of Kubler last night, and I'll be damned if there's a better word to describe it than "nutty". It isn't bad, but it isn't as good as the other LaBleus. It just doesn't taste as well rounded and airy. The funny thing is once I drank the Kubler, I tried a glass of Betty's #3 and the #3 tasted way too sweet in comparison to the Kubler. I guess that means the Kubler isn't artificially sweetened at all, which is a good thing. Can't get over that weird flavour though. It's not unpleasant, just unusual for an Absinthe. It's like they threw in a shot of Frangelico or something. Or maybe they just burnt the wormwood?
Larsbogart
Posted on Wednesday, May 1, 2002 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"I think my LB #3 from Betty is going south. It tastes thinner every time I drink it."
Not surprising... Where's Betty's spin doctor?
Nolan...
put down the "gorgeous" $100 spoons and step up to the plate, it's strike 2.
Cant say lars didnt warn you... Now watch Betty Jo's fangs come out.
Hey Betty, almost finished with your memoirs?
Robertsmith
Posted on Wednesday, May 1, 2002 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Got the Kubler! Wow, excellent shipping from Markus. I ordered it on Friday and it arrived today (wednesday) Nice looking bottle too. Can't open it at work so I'll have to wait till tonight to indulge. Yummy yum yum. Let's see how "nutty" this puppy really is. Maybe it's at least more consistent than the LaBleus have been lately. I think my LB #3 from Betty is going south. It tastes thinner every time I drink it. The guy who's selling Logan Fils said he used to get from the same source Betty does and said their stuff sucks now so he cancelled the contract, and I'm beginning to agree. He also said he tested Betty's LB for wormwood and found it contained very little. Although these Absinthe purveryors seem to enjoy badmouthing eachother whenever possible so who knows. Whatever the case, I'm not going to pay Betty's exorbitant prices if the stuff isn't reliably consistent. Her last bottle of #3 I had actually "unlouches" if you let it sit for about 30 minutes without disturbing it! Still tastes excellent, but much thinner than my first #3, which was also from Betty. Perhaps Kubler will be a good LB replacement? We'll find out tonight...
Crosby
Posted on Saturday, April 27, 2002 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Dr. O.

Betty sells by numbers. So, I believe they are the ones available from her.

H.
Dr_Ordinaire
Posted on Saturday, April 27, 2002 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I understand that the La Bleues are made by a bunch of different small distillers.

When one says La Bleue #1, is it One absinthe made by One distiller, or the same type (#1) made by different distillers?
Mvario
Posted on Friday, April 26, 2002 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

''Segarra-ish ''

Do you mean the butterscotchy taste coming from the barrel aging or just the smooth texture of wine spirit ?

Definitely a taste thing, though it never struck me as butterscotchy. I perceive it more as a woody thing, so we may be talking about the same thing.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page