Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

A book for fireside reading, absinth...

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » Archive Thru April 2002 » A book for fireside reading, absinthe in hand ... « Previous Next »

Zman7
Posted on Monday, April 29, 2002 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Rimbaud,
Yeah, that's the same quote from the book that I posted a few months back. However, you spelled "quarters" correctly, whereas, I did not. ;)
Rimbaud
Posted on Monday, April 29, 2002 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Taken from The Dedalus Book of Absinthe...

"A New Orleans chemist and biologist named Ted Breaux has spent several years studying absinthe and has recreated the recipe for Belle Epoch Pernod, aided in his research by a couple of scarce century-old bottles of the real thing. Breaux is reportedly soon to launch his own brand
commercially, for distribution outside of the USA. This is eagerly awaited in some quarters."
Verawench
Posted on Saturday, April 27, 2002 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

In what context?
Rimbaud
Posted on Saturday, April 27, 2002 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Oh, and I almost forgot...they mention our very own Ted Breaux at the end of the book!
Rimbaud
Posted on Saturday, April 27, 2002 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I picked up The Dedalus Book of Absinthe several months back, and while it does cover a lot of the same ground as Conrad's book, it has quite a few anecdotes which I have never read before. Maybe some of them are from M.C.Delahaye's books, but since I can't read French, it's all new to me. Although it (the Dedalus book) could use some pictures, I am still glad I added it to my collection. Incidentally, I do own Absinthe: Muse des Peintres by Delahaye, which I purchased for the pictures alone, many of which I had never seen before. Very nice...
Oxygenee
Posted on Saturday, April 27, 2002 - 6:17 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

If you've already got the Conrad book, its not really worth bothering with this new book - its really a journalists hack-work - no original information or research, just a paraphrasing of Conrad and frequent very direct (unacknowledged) translations from the Delahaye books. Almost a third of the book is an appendix, quoting long extracts from Corelli's Wormwood etc. The product reviews cover only the most established and common Czech and Spanish brands, and display no special insights at all.
Admin
Posted on Saturday, April 27, 2002 - 5:09 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

http://dedalusbooks.com/top.php?id=00000127&s=1

I have the Dedalus Book of Absinthe on order from amazon.co.uk ... they note many decent reviews, but it will be interesting to see what, if any, insights there are above and beyond Conrad's book.

Quote:

After discussing the rituals and modus operandi of absinthe drinking, this book reveals the recently discovered pharmacology of how real absinthe actually works on the nervous system. Last but not least, an appendix tests the various real and fake absinthe products that are now available.

*cough* sound familiar?

it'll be interesting to see which brands he covers and what he makes of them.
Verawench
Posted on Friday, April 26, 2002 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The artists of the "Mloda Polska" generation (late 19th - early 20th c.) had a wonderfully perverse imagination. Among the painters, check out Wojciech Weiss, Jacek Malczewski, Jozef Mehoffer, etc.
Brett
Posted on Friday, April 26, 2002 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

How about this one:

"The Dedalus Book of Polish Fantasy"
Etienne
Posted on Friday, April 26, 2002 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I agree, a very cool site. The picture on the opening page is the cover of their new absinthe book by Phil Baker. Looks like something I'm going to have to check into.
Verawench
Posted on Friday, April 26, 2002 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

...and dontcha just love the opening page of their website?
http://dedalusbooks.com/

:)
Chevalier
Posted on Friday, April 26, 2002 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Looks like an interesting publisher.
Verawench
Posted on Friday, April 26, 2002 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have that volume. "A Family Treat" by Huysmans is absolutely delightful and my personal favorite. Dedalus rocks.
Chevalier
Posted on Friday, April 26, 2002 - 8:23 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Short story titles: "One Possessed", "Mademoiselle Scalpel", "The Prisoner of his Own Masterpiece" and "The Green Monster".

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1532763501

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page