Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

La Bleu unpredictability...

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » Archive Thru April 2002 » La Bleu unpredictability... « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through April 26, 2002Robertsmith25 4-26-02  7:57 pm
Archive through April 29, 2002Chevalier25 4-29-02  8:07 am
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Wolfgang
Posted on Tuesday, April 30, 2002 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Follow the link in my profile, there's an email link at the bottom of the first page just bellow the flags.
Bryan
Posted on Tuesday, April 30, 2002 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Wolfgang, drop me an email, I didn't see yours in your profile.
Wolfgang
Posted on Tuesday, April 30, 2002 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Bryan:

"There is a balance between too much "head space" or "climb" in the unit before it hits the condenser. "

Well if you look at the Pernod&Fils drawing, it's obvious that the head space from mash to condenser is big; the neck goes high.

Even if there's some reflux going on, we can't compare this to a reflux column. The air space in the pot and the neck is not realy cooled (except for some temperature loss in the air).
Bryan
Posted on Tuesday, April 30, 2002 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

80% works, a little less seems to work better. And even seemingly small changes in hardware can have a big impact on the flavor of the final product. I'm lucky in that I have a friend close by to compare notes, methods and recipe alterations with.
Wolfgang
Posted on Tuesday, April 30, 2002 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I should add that this 80% figure is probably the extreme limit. My friend had to make small improvements on his hardware not to get "green output" at the begining of the run with such a full pot... I will recommend him to use it half full next time. Safer and maybe better for other reasons I'm not sure about yet.
Wolfgang
Posted on Tuesday, April 30, 2002 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"expansion when heated"

That doesn't require an half full pot, for that particular reason, a 80% full and slowly heated pot is all right even if it may not be the best.
Wolfgang
Posted on Tuesday, April 30, 2002 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Unless they were just using the door to put the herbs in and using some opening on the top to pour the liquid"

"get herbs in/out and perform maintenance. "

Well then my second guess was not too far off, except about the pumping system.

Thanks for the answer I was looking for.
Bryan
Posted on Tuesday, April 30, 2002 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Aside from expansion when heated, are there other reasons I'm missing?
Artemis
Posted on Tuesday, April 30, 2002 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Maybe it would be cruel to wait for Wolfgang to fall into a trap.

You can infer nothing about the normal operating level in the vessel, nor the maximum level that can be poured into it (and they didn't pour it; they pumped it in through a piping system) by the position of the doors. Those doors (hatches would be a better term) are *sealed* shut in any pressure vessel such as that while it's in operation. No liquid or gas is getting past that doorway. The only thing you can infer is that when the vessel was *drained*, the level was below the bottom of the doorway. Because only then would they open that door. And only then to get herbs in/out and perform maintenance.

You can safely assume the vessel was never much more than half full, for obvious reasons that have nothing to do with the doorway.
Artemis
Posted on Tuesday, April 30, 2002 - 8:43 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Unless they were just using the door to put the herbs in ... "

They also had to get them OUT ....

They also had to have access to clean the thing.
Bryan
Posted on Tuesday, April 30, 2002 - 8:43 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Vapors having to climb higher would be separated from heavier oils present in the tail, making a purer and lighter absinthe"
I think that's reflux, and what I'm thinking that would make a very high alcohol concentrated absinthe short on flavor. Too much "head space" over the liquid in the pot also seems to slow the distillation process greatly. There is a balance between too much "head space" or "climb" in the unit before it hits the condenser. Just a few thoughts.
Artemis
Posted on Tuesday, April 30, 2002 - 8:41 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

What does the position of the doors have to do with anything?
Wolfgang
Posted on Tuesday, April 30, 2002 - 6:43 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Do we know what happened to Pernod&Fils alambics after the ban up to this day ? Destroyed, sold or what ?
Wolfgang
Posted on Tuesday, April 30, 2002 - 5:47 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'll ask my friend on the moon to conduct some experiment with his #8 concerning this question.

Damn I'm sure he will complain that I just can't be satisfied and that it will take him even more time !
Wolfgang
Posted on Tuesday, April 30, 2002 - 5:40 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

pernod still

Look at the position of the doors... Unless they were just using the door to put the herbs in and using some opening on the top to pour the liquid, my understanding is they where operating with an almost empty pot... ?

Even the picture you posted shows that there's lots of room over the maximum level of liquid that can be poured in the still...

I guess that at the end of the run, there wouldn't be enough pressure to push out the last vapors or that the vapors, having to climb higher would be separated from heavier oils present in the tail, making a purer and lighter absinthe.

Any insight someone ?
Wolfgang
Posted on Tuesday, April 30, 2002 - 5:24 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

...Masturbation material...
Aion
Posted on Tuesday, April 30, 2002 - 2:16 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

still
Aion
Posted on Tuesday, April 30, 2002 - 2:13 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Wolfgang:

Looking for a new still??

What about this one:

(see above)

Ahm, costs only EUR 4000,00
but what a damn beautiful unit.
Wolfgang
Posted on Monday, April 29, 2002 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Bob: The moonman is changing his recipe all the time, making 1-3 750ml bottles maximum of each recipe and then trying something else. That`s why he doesn`t find a fancy name for everything he does. He`s like a kid playing mad scientist but he keeps track of everything in his big black book and he weight, measure, adjust, calculate and record everything, trying to figure out some statistics, ratios and winning combinaisons...

Right now the "Moonman`s & debauchery" desk is telling me they would like to get a big nice and shiny hammered copper pot to replace the garbage apparatus in order to conduct said researches but the "finance&practical" bureau told me to ignore the fuckers... The "public relation & procreation" departement is also complaining that such an investment would result in catastrophic retaliations from external female entity. The project have been suspended but Moonman is placing a request to the "high court&long term projects" institution. Said institution have classed the dossier alongside the "must buy a house with a garden" project in the dusty archival brain room.

Get the idea ?
Chevalier
Posted on Monday, April 29, 2002 - 8:10 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

When pigs fly, Artemis.

;-)
Artemis
Posted on Monday, April 29, 2002 - 8:09 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Exactly.

Recalcitrant snouts get pickled.

The last part of the hog under the fence, into scrapple.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page