Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » Archive Thru May 2002 » Depressed « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through April 30, 2002Wolfgang25 4-30-02  5:57 am
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Posted on Thursday, May 2, 2002 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

My wormwood plant stays strictly in its own pot. I allow no other wormwood plants in the vicinity and my wormwood plant is kept sufficiently away from any soil outside of its pot. I consider myself a responsible, model citizen doing my bit to protect the environment from the irresponsible spread of wormwood. I also drink chamomile tea, vote for the Liberal Party, take my empty bottles to the bottle-bank, and wholeheartedly support the ideals of European political integration. I feel very proud of myself.

Posted on Thursday, May 2, 2002 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Double post.
Posted on Wednesday, May 1, 2002 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well, look at the overpopulation. Wormwood in the wild breeds unrestrictedly- you are doing the species a favor!

And please, folks- have your plants spayed or neutered!
Posted on Wednesday, May 1, 2002 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I won`t stop drinking absinthe, even if poor defenseless plants have been hurt in the process.
Posted on Wednesday, May 1, 2002 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Whether it's to kill them or to save them, all animals'destiny(wild or in the pet chain) is in our hands, which leaves people with ultimate responsibility for them.
You know that has to be dealt with at the poles. Should animals have ANY true rights, or none?Which launches another conveluded arguement that never ends, like abortion and gun control.
I think kindness is the best alternative we've got at this point!
Posted on Wednesday, May 1, 2002 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

From your 'Law of the Jungle' stronger eats the weaker it follows that it is OK for stronger animals to treat weaker animals in any way they wish because they are stronger. Therefore there is absolutely nothing wrong with a person torturing animals for kicks, after all he's the strongest and that's the way it goes, it's just the law of the jungle.

This sort of social Darwinism doesn't stand up unless you believe that it's OK for anyone to treat any other being (human or animal) in any way he/she deems fit because he/she is the strongest. Afterall it's the 'Law of the Jungle', it's 'natural' and therefore there's nothing wrong with it. Rapists, serial killers, Adolf Hitler, they're all just asserting their strength over weaker beings. Who can blame them? They're just acting in what the view as their own best interests.

You say humans are better than other animals because we are kind for kindness sake, bollocks, we are at the top of the food chain, we face no threats from any animals other than from ourselves. We are in the position to indulge in a few whims and pat ourselves on the back for indulging ourselves. We are by far the greatest threat to the existence of every single animal species on this planet. We continue to willingly do far, far more harm to all other animal groups than any other predator. We destroy whole species, which is a damn site worse than a lion eating a few gazelles in order to survive (and we don't usually do it in order to physically survive). Sure we set up a few token nature reserves here and there and pat our pet dogs on the head, while at the same time continue to demolish vast stretchs of rainforest (including every living thing in it).

We can either be honest and say it's OK to destroy any living animal we want, in any way we wish so long as it suits us or we can say it's wrong to regard animals as property. But let's not pretend that we humans are basically kind to animals. I'm sure some slave-owners viewed themselves as being kind to their living-property, they probably fed their slaves well and only whipped them when it was really, absolutely necessary.

The whole pet-owner relationship thing exists for our benefit alone. It is a product of us indulging our whims, it is not about us bestowing kindness for kindness sake.

Posted on Tuesday, April 30, 2002 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"if you had a dog with problems that you couldn't or no longer wanted to deal with, are you one of those people who would just drive a few miles outside city limits and abandon it? If not, why not? It seems compatible with your view to me."

I am being inarticulate then- specifically, I said 'unless they are causing a problem.'

No, I wouldn't bloody abandon a dog with problems. That dog would be family to me.

My attitude is based on this: If I feel a need to kill an animal, I will. If the deer are so overpoulated they are coming into towns and hurting people, kill some off. And this extends to stray dogs attacking children and pets. Just like it would to non-domesticated animals in that situation.

But if I don't have a practical reason to do so, I find things like forced sterilization or euthanasia 'to prevent them from suffering' to be contrary to my liking.

I would rather see them free to live their lives. You mention abdicating responsibility for animal husbandry- I find taking responsibility for it expresses differently for me. I respect them as much as I do people or trees. A function of that respect is not to fuck with them unless I have a really good reason to do so. That is why I don't have, and won't get, a pet.

I don't like zoos either. In fact, I hate them. Perhaps that will give a better picture of where I am coming from.
Posted on Tuesday, April 30, 2002 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Posted on Tuesday, April 30, 2002 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

The vet would have known if the cat was savable or not, or at least made a well educated guess. If you had shot him with your own rifle, you may have always wondered. I think you made the right move.
Posted on Tuesday, April 30, 2002 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

A bird flew over my house yesterday,
I could tell spring was on the way,
This is part of our nature today.
I got bit by a mosquito last week,
I could tell summer was at its peak,
This is part of our nature for always.
I got a cold last month,
That was during winter, and it stunk,
This is part of our nature monthly.
My cat died last year,
And through the tears I realized,
This is part of the nature of life.

Posted on Tuesday, April 30, 2002 - 6:08 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Lordhob.: Go tell a lion "your so bad because you see antelopes as food on legs just there for your hunting and feasting pleasure". This is nature. The law of the jungle. Strongers eats the weakers.

Humans are way better because sometime they are known to help other creatures for no other reason that to be kind. They are also known to put fish in nice looking aquarium, free of predator and full of food. They pet, groom and take care of animals just because they find them cute. They also, like no other animals, determine reserved territories not for them but for wild animals. And the list goes on and one...

I'm not saying we'r perfect, some humans are very bad but most are not. Most people don't stupidly beat their dog, most really love them almost as their own children.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page