Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through April 26, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » Archive Thru April 2002 » Let me probe your drinkin' psyches... » Archive through April 26, 2002 « Previous Next »

Wolfgang
Posted on Friday, April 26, 2002 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

You've got the best Loucheltrec ! Canadian ice wines fetch crazy prices in Asia. I don't really like those extra sweet nectar but I recognize their quality.

Vidal-Fleury Hermitage is also a very nice and not too much overpriced wine. I tasted the 96 last year. Which vintage will you bring ? Anyway, my girlfriend will probably attend even if she don't drink absinthe, she will probably drink wine and will be very pleased to taste that wine again. I will probably let her fetch a bottle from my little secret cache for the occasion...
Lordhobgoblin
Posted on Friday, April 26, 2002 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Nothing exactly odd about my drinks collection but it is very wide and varied.

For spirits, Vodka, Calvados, Armagnac, Lagavulin, Talisker, Jamesons, Wild Turkey, Blue Curacao, Limoncello, Sambuca, Jamaican Rum, Bundaberg Rum, Gin, Cointreau, Pastis, Southern Comfort, Tequilla and a bottle of Portuguese Medrona flavoured with honey. Most of these bottles are just gathering dust as I'm not really a great spirits drinker. On the 'wine' side there is Mead, English Elderflower wine, a wide range of red wines (mainly French) and a wide range of white wines (mainly French but also a few bottles of English from Denbies winery). Also lots of Guinness, plenty of Cider and some Carlsberg lager.

Basically I'll drink most things (although I can't abide shots of spirits as they make me throw up).

Hobgoblin
Baz
Posted on Friday, April 26, 2002 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Most of my cabinet is homemade-beer, barleywine, mead, blackberry wine, grape wine, etc. Of course, from Kentucky so I've got a lot of the single barrel bourbons. The strangest stuff I keep around is lambic beer. Strange b/c of the way it's made.
Greenmeanie
Posted on Friday, April 26, 2002 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm down here in Orlando, FL and at Disney's EPCOT 'round about October-November they have the International Fod and Wine Festival. Great time to sample (and buy whole bottles) different wines from all over the world. Both German and Canadian ice wine. Surprisingly the ice wine by the bottle is cheaper here than in the 2 upscale liquor stores that I can find it in! The French pavillion has a nice wine selection but no absinthe. They usually have some kind of high end feature product though. Last year it was a cognac from 1946 recently "found" in the original barrels in France. $25 per 1oz glass! Do the math for the cost of a bottle!! Tasty and smmmmmooooth but much too $$$.

If go, you won't be wasting your time. It is not hokey in the least. Plus the food is good to. All kinds of samplings from all over.
2loucheltrec
Posted on Friday, April 26, 2002 - 6:34 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

ice wine- i've recently special ordered another from one of my perveyors at work, it's one from up around your way , canada, wolfman. i'm try to procure some from austria or germany but they're even more difficult to come by. there is a cure for impatience and red wine , it's called decanting, i suffer from the same "disease" so i'll decant and faux age it by aeration. if i'm able to make it to the nyc fest in june i'll bring somthing good, maybe beaurenard or maybe some j. vidal-fluery hermitage and a few of us will enjoy some.
Greenmeanie
Posted on Friday, April 26, 2002 - 5:57 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ice wine? I'm impressed. Don't see that one bandied about much. Not easy to find and kinda 'spensive. Taste: WOW! Very sweet but not in a candy way. Also complex taste.
Wolfgang
Posted on Friday, April 26, 2002 - 5:33 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"domaine de beaurenard"

This wine never stop to amaze me year after year. It's one of my favorite Châteauneuf (with La Gardine, who produce good wine even in bad years). I got my hands on a magnum of the 98 vintage and I know I won't have the wisdom to wait long enough... In the mean time it`s a nice looking piece in my very small collection.
Marccampbell
Posted on Friday, April 26, 2002 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

how about an absinthe, vodka and Red Bull cocktail?
Tortainglese
Posted on Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Try this sometime: vanilla vodka, coke and fresh mint leaves. Very yummy. In warm weather I drink red Lillet, an aperitif wine from Bordeaux served chilled and also campari. I like "punch" or "punch royale" an 18th century concoction of lime and rum and who know what else. Veuve clicquot champagne is nice too. And of course the ever present Argentine merlot and a chianti. Sorry, nothing too exotic. Actually, I do not drink much, maybe only once per week.
Nolan
Posted on Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have eau de vie.Lots of it.I like Jean Danflou.
I have their poire la prisonnie're,and their calvados with the apple in the bottle.I have kirschwasser,got brandy from Spain and Cognac,Armagnac,Meads from every where I can find
including my own,Every kind of chartrueuse available,and some good tequilas,gins,vodkas and so on.
2loucheltrec
Posted on Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

only stuff i have that could be considered unusual would be mead (honey wine) or ice wines (i've got a couple, one from washington state and one from here in virginia and believe it or not the va wine is from Breaux Vineyard). the rest is pretty much standard fair: bombay sapphire, tanqueray gin, argagnac, absolut, b&b, midori melon... wine : chateauneuf du pape (domaine de beaurenard), cotes du rhone village (louis bernard), bordeaux (chateau tayac '89- my last one and there is no more, ever :-( , chateau margaux pavillion rouge), pinot noir reserve (pierre sparr, alsace), LBV ports (dow '95 and cockburn '94), rioja reserva (monticillo '95), cabernet sauvignon reserve (quail ridge-volker eisel ), sauvignon blanc (cakebread cellars and goldwater-dogpoint), voignier (breaux vineyard and geyser peak). i've got more wine but i don't want to use too much of kallisti's bandwidth just for an inventory of my stuff, damn, that reminds me i have inventory for work coming up, i hate the end of the month ....
Chevalier
Posted on Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Chile has never been affected by the phylloxera blight. Some of its vines are descended from French stock brought over from Bordeaux before 1880. It is estimated that approximately 60-90% of Chilean Merlot is produced from the "pre-phylloxera" Bordeaux grape, Carmenère (sometimes referred to as Grande Vidure). In fact, almost all the world’s surviving plantings of Carmenère are in Chile.

Only now are Chileans trying to formally differentiate between varieties of their red wines by characterization and determination of chemical molecular markers according to grape variety and origin. Until several years ago, no differentiation was made between Chilean Merlot and Carmenère. Today, however, Carmenère is heavily promoted and justly so. What's more, it gives one the chance to sit back, sip, and dream that he is tasting a long-lost wine of 19th century France.
Rimbaud
Posted on Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Nothing odd here. Besides absinthe prepared in the traditional manner, I also enjoy gin & tonic (Bombay Sapphire or Tanqueray), Captain Morgan spiced rum & ginger ale (mmmmm...like alcoholic cream soda!), dry red wines (French, Spanish & Chilean reds are my faves), and in wintertime I enjoy Bailey's on the rocks. I also love Scotch Ales and Belgian stuff like Duvel & Chimay. Cheers!
Absinthespoon
Posted on Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I keep a pretty broad range of liquor for guests. Besides many different absinthes and a few pastis, I love to drink different aperitifs and digestifs. The ones I especially like include Chartreuse (yellow), grappa, amaro (Averna or Ramazotti), jaegermeister, port (ruby or tawny), limoncello (kept in the freezer), Cynar, brandy (cognac, Calvados, pear brandy).
Kir (white wine + creme de cassis) as an aperitif, and many different red wines with food- zinfandel is great, sometimes we have beaujalais (served slightly chilled).
Chevalier
Posted on Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Have any of you (Ted, Don and Jorge excepted) ever tried Chilean or Peruvian Pisco?
Raschied
Posted on Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I've got half a bottle of Damiana I never drink now that I've discovered the Fairy.

I used to be a rum drinker, but I never got real exotic about it.
Brett
Posted on Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I've got some Costa Rican cofee liqueur I've yet to dip into; had a 40 of Colt 45, but its gone now; Belle-Vue Kriek Lambic (Belgian cherry beer); Cacique Guaro which is apparently a Costa Rican sugar tequila or something like that; a bottle of Jägermeister; some Amarula Cream; had a bottle of Zima, but drank that; "Alcool" from Quebec, never opened; some maple syrup liqueur; and some Tia Maria. Nothing overly odd, I'd say.
Desoto
Posted on Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Quote:

I have looked at those Mezcals before, are they wothy the high price tag?

They're expensive, particularly from some of the online places. I purchase mine locally for around $60 per bottle. One bottle does last a long time. They're really a sipping mezcal, shallow clay cups are the traditional method to use. I recommend the Del Maguey San Luis for starters. IMHO, they make just about every premium tequila I've tried taste boring. The smokiness and character and the way they make you feel are fantastic. There's something going on in there that you don't get elswhere. It probably helps that they're pure, additive-free and artisanal.

I think highly enough of them that I just ordered one bottle of the extremely rare Del Maguey Pechuga (made with a raw chicken...how's that for odd) for $180. And I'm very excited about it. The absinthe will just have to play second fiddle this weekend.

DeSoto
Mr_Rabid
Posted on Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Other than absinthe the most unusual stuff I drink is slivovitz (or slivovica it's sometimes called.) Eastern European plum brandy, kind of harsh but very good to warm you up on a cold night.
Lint
Posted on Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

coca wine is nice...
Robertsmith
Posted on Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have this bottle of Brazilian sugar cane rum that's incredible. It's smoove as butta, and it's like 75% alcohol or something memory erasing like that. Like liquid crack basically. You can only get it from locals outside of Rio, and it comes in this ugly plastic bottle with this pirate face on it next to a wooden barrel. Good stuff...
25 year old Macallan can't be beat, but it's as expensive as if Betty were selling it...
I worship El Tesoro blue Agave Anejo. It blows fucking Patron away, and it's cheaper too. It's' the only tequila I've ever had that could be described as "refreshing"... like drinking liquid silver...
Also, vintage Armagnacs are amazing. This one guy I work with got some from some Nazi private stash from 1930 something. It was like $4000 a bottle...
And then I have this 1993 bottle of Mickey's Malt liquor still in the paper bag ageing nicely. I think I'll save it for my wedding...
Cheri
Posted on Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I've got Cointreau and Bailey's..
Timk
Posted on Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Aged Cuban rum is always welcome in my drinks cabinet, Cognac too. I like Laphroaig, Gin and tonic with Tanqueray or Gordons. I had a couple of cheap bottles of blue label a while back, its not worth anywhere near the asking price - I prefer Laphroaig anyway.

I have looked at those Mezcals before, are they wothy the high price tag?
Wolfgang
Posted on Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I don`t only drink absinthe but I don`t think the rest of my alcohol cabinet is "odd".

I almost have a fetish for red Rhone wines like Châteauneuf du Pape, Côte-Rotie and Hermitage. I have some bottles of pastis and I like the freshness of a good and simple Bombay Saphir gin tonic. A freshly pressed orange juice with some Appleton estate 12 years extra rhum is also very nice. What else ? A Glenmorangie 18 years ?

There`s a 10% rebate on every >100$ purchases at the SAQ this weekend ... Time to justify unreasonable shopping !
Desoto
Posted on Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Vast curiosity here. Are any of you also into other unusual alcoholic beverages?

Personally, absinthe and tonic water is my favorite nightcap. But I'm also hooked on premium single village mezcals (no worms harmed in the making of these: www.mezcal.com). And Amarone Italian red wine is tasty. Why can't I have cheaper tastes? Like Colt 45 or Thunderbird.

Anybody else have odd things next to their absinthe bottles? I'm curious if there are any correlations.

DeSoto
www.edithgrove.com

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page