Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Something to eat with Absinthe...

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » Archive Thru April 2002 » Something to eat with Absinthe... « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through April 28, 2002Louched_Liver25 4-28-02  3:27 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

_Blackjack
Posted on Monday, April 29, 2002 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Absinthe definiely makes me hungry. In paricular, it makes me want fairly simply, starchy foods. Onion pierogis fried in a bit of olive oil is quite nice, as is fresh bread with garlic butter. I suspect a knish would be wonderful, but you can't get decent knishes around here.
Admin
Posted on Monday, April 29, 2002 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Quote:

Sushi is what the Japanese do with their leftover rice.

heh, yes.

it's a japanese burrito.
Robertsmith
Posted on Monday, April 29, 2002 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

After drinking 3-4 glasses of Absinthe, I like eating floral wallpaper...
Artemis
Posted on Monday, April 29, 2002 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Sushi is what the Japanese do with their leftover rice.

Chevalier's description is apt.

It is entirely Japanese. Yuppies or Valley Girls may have co-opted it, but that's another story.

"In my mind you can't beat plain, simple food cooked to perfection. Uncomplicated and hearty, where you can actually taste the natural flavours of the vegetables and meats."

That's precisely what sushi is. To the Japanese, anyway, and that description applies to their cuisine in general.
Nascentvirion
Posted on Monday, April 29, 2002 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I too get hungry after drinking absinthe.. I also get sleepy
_Blackjack
Posted on Monday, April 29, 2002 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Quote:

Planning to travel to Latin America, Asia, Africa, or any "developing nation"? Ignore Blackjack's comment. Get the vaccine!

Quite right. I should have said "...unless you are going to be somewhere with improper sanitation," but it made the sentance unweildy. And compared to B and C, which often become chronic infections, it is less serious. Vaccination is not routine except for those, as you say, who travel to the developing world.
Chevalier
Posted on Monday, April 29, 2002 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Sushi is Japanese fast food. A cold cut sandwich the size of a Chicken McNugget. And sashimi is just the cold cuts.

Absinthe is supposed to stimulate one's appetite for food. Has anyone found this to be so?
Lordhobgoblin
Posted on Monday, April 29, 2002 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Louche,

Maybe I did have particularly lousy Sushi. That was back in my meat eating days. I really loved eating fish of any sort (it is THE one thing I really miss now I'm a vegetarian) but Sushi just didn't do anything for me. A big piece of raw fish on a plate that I could really get my teeth into and taste the fish, perhaps (raw trout marinated in lemon is lovely), but not this dainty little yuppie-food with bits of raw fish mixed with sticky rice, wrapped in dry seaweed (and I also love eating proper fresh seaweed, although not much of it about in England).

Sushi to me was just a waste of time and energy. To me it seems a sort of very 1980's yuppie food thing (like nouvelle cuisine) all presentation and no substance. To me flavour and substance is what matters with food and Sushi fails on both counts. Sushi is just a sort of fancy upmarket vol-au-vent. It's also far too expensive for what it is.

In my mind you can't beat plain, simple food cooked to perfection. Uncomplicated and hearty, where you can actually taste the natural flavours of the vegetables and meats.

Hobgoblin

Anyway even if one was actually deranged enough to like sushi, you'd get no self-respecting Irishman admitting to it. It'd be like admitting to drinking Babycham or shandy, or admitting to liking floral wallpaper.
Chevalier
Posted on Monday, April 29, 2002 - 8:21 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Let me shake your hand! I strongly advise it. You can get Hep A. through the feces of an infected person. There are plenty of food handlers who don't wash their hands well (if at all) after going to the bathroom. Eat the food, risk the consequences.

Going swimming at a beach or a lake? You can't always be sure that human fecal sewage isn't in the water. Often it can't be seen.

Enough of all that. Just get vaccinated.
Wolfgang
Posted on Monday, April 29, 2002 - 8:12 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

How boy ! I`m not planning a trip but I think I`m gonna get this vaccine anyway ;-) .
Chevalier
Posted on Monday, April 29, 2002 - 7:35 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Blackjack misguidedly said: "There's [a vaccine] ... for Hep A, not that Hep A is serious enough to need one"

Not serious enough?

Listen, amigo, I got Hepatitis A in 1996. My liver was damaged by it and I had to go for a year without drinking any alcohol at all. I also had to avoid vinegar, peppers and a host of other comestibles. I was sober, clean-living and very unhappy.

To this day, my relatively young liver can't handle more than one glass of absinthe every couple of months. Now isn't that special?

Not all bodies are alike. You can be properly diagnosed, rest, take care of yourself and STILL get messed up by Hepatitis A.

Planning to travel to Latin America, Asia, Africa, or any "developing nation"? Ignore Blackjack's comment. Get the vaccine!
Mvario
Posted on Monday, April 29, 2002 - 2:33 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well if they don't come thru this place will overnight you 8lbs of scrapple:

http://www.phillypretzels.com/home.html

Personally, I'll stick with with my Egg-a-Mooby Muffin
Thegreenimp
Posted on Monday, April 29, 2002 - 12:26 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have to have Habersett's Scrapple overnighted down here in "Humidity Central" from my PA relatives, we do have a brand of it available down here, but it's not quite the same as what you can get up in PA.........though I must admit I've never tried it with Absinthe.
Jay
Louched_Liver
Posted on Sunday, April 28, 2002 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Scrapple? I'm in the scrapple zone here in Atown. It does taste great, especially browned, yet just warmed through in the center. And the fact they sweep it up off the floor, whip it in a grinder, and make it a breakfast treat just makes it all the more appealing.
Wolfgang
Posted on Sunday, April 28, 2002 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Somehow I feel generosity related to absinthe save uf from being the pathetic drunk we should be. At least we'r providing entertainment.
Meat_Nipples
Posted on Sunday, April 28, 2002 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Im working on my second glass of serpis 65 tonight. I just got the bottle last week and my friend had a little party to celebrate the arrival of our sc package. I woke up the next day to find a quarter, yes a quarter of my bottle empty. He had these very large V-style glasses that promoted way too much absinthe per glass. It seems I got too generous with it, and gave very large pours to a couple friends.

Anyways, the people behind that site are obviously biased against scrapple and they sound as though they have never even tried it. It is true that its made up of hog scraps, but it tastes sooooo good. You just have to give it a chance.
Wolfgang
Posted on Sunday, April 28, 2002 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

My face hurt because I have this huge exagerated smile...I just can`t get rid of it after seing this web site... IfI could order it from the web right now and get it in 30 min I would order it just to laugh some more...sorry...as I said, discard every post from the wolfman past his third glass ( 22:00 ) ...
Mvario
Posted on Sunday, April 28, 2002 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I didn't know what scrapple was, but I found this site whne I was looking it up... and now I'm scared.

http://www.chickenhead.com/scrapple/
Meat_Nipples
Posted on Sunday, April 28, 2002 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Anybody here ever eat scrapple? Ummm, I love it with scrambled eggs and toast. Especially when I can feel the cholesterol coursing through my veins. Its a regional thing but its sexier than bacon, thatís for sure.
Wolfgang
Posted on Sunday, April 28, 2002 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Nachos ! With lot's of cheeze, black olives and a very hot and spicy sauce.

I could survive on a 100' X 100' island as loong as ther's natchos, absinthe and a well full of cold water.
Anatomist
Posted on Sunday, April 28, 2002 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

If it tasted good, a persimmon would have to be the sexiest food. If you've ever had one, you know why...

K.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page