Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through April 26, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » Archive Thru April 2002 » La Bleu unpredictability... » Archive through April 26, 2002 « Previous Next »

Author Message
Robertsmith
Posted on Friday, April 26, 2002 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

5{stes the same, and I have decided I am much more interested in boobies than whether LaBleu is inconsistent from glass to glass....
mmmmmmm, as good as absinthe is, it still doesn't compare to naked females....
The frenchies know how to live.
Robertsmith
Posted on Friday, April 26, 2002 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Now on to glass #2. After measuring the exact amounts I had for glass one, I noticed no difference in flavour form the first glass to the second. I've concluded that the unpredictability is due more to human error with how much water is added. I think LB is very sensitive to water and even a half an oz can alter the flavour in a noticeable way. I think I'll have two more glasses after this one though just to make sure, :) :) :) :) :)
Robertsmith
Posted on Friday, April 26, 2002 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Call me guinea pig. I'm on glass #1 of LB#3 with a quantity of exactly 1oz absinthe and 3oz water w/ no sugar. Nice and light, not as dry as usual (I think less water makes it more dry, as the water dispersing alcohol is less diluted). Wonder what the 2nd glass will be like...
Nascentvirion
Posted on Friday, April 26, 2002 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I've noticed when drinking the La Fee that it tastes stronger the closer I get to the bottom of it. I was thinking the small suger bed at the bottom of the glass had something to do with it. Could be me though
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Friday, April 26, 2002 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have only one reaction to Serpis...

Instantaneous wood.

No amount of water can drown my passion for the Holy Red Divine
I_B_Puffin
Posted on Friday, April 26, 2002 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Or it could be that unlike most absinthes, La Bleu isn't mass manufactured with precise measurements.
Mr_Rabid
Posted on Friday, April 26, 2002 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

True, but the water/sugar thing is most definitely there.

I think this may also account for the Serpis Effect- that is, that it tastes like poo sometimes and other times you just can't wait to have a glass.

Head, Louchey- either of you have some with which to experiment?
_Blackjack
Posted on Friday, April 26, 2002 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

One thing to consider is that ANYTHING tastes different depending on what you've had to eat and drink, the time of day, etc. A cigar which tastes wonderful in the eveing after a rare steak and espresso will taste lousy first thing in the morning.
Chevalier
Posted on Friday, April 26, 2002 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Absinthe must have led to a lot of binge drinking. All those efforts to achieve the perfect absinthe/water mix. “Shesh’ one more. Ah'll geddit righ' shish time.”
Artemis
Posted on Friday, April 26, 2002 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I think you're on to something. Flavor no longer matters, any swill should do when using that orifice. Lasala a la clyster for everybody!!
Robertsmith
Posted on Friday, April 26, 2002 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

you know, I bet the biggest variation is because of the water. LB seems to be very sensitive to water, and I usually just eyeball it as opposed to measuring out consistent quantities, so I bet I'm manipulating it quite a bit. I still have yet to find an Absinthe I think merits the addition of sugar. Usually it just ends up tasting the same but sweeter. I think too often sugar distracts from the actual taste of the drink, and absinthe is usually already naturally sweet. It's like putting steak sauce on an already perfectly juicy steak...
How untraditional of me, but then I suppose the whole sugar thing just came about because vintage abs was more bitter than what we have today because what we have today has less wormwood...
By the way, Arty, I poured it in the other orifice and got hammered in 5 seconds! Absinthe enemas for all! And you can consume as much as you want because it never reaches your stomach and thus can't make you barf!
Chevalier
Posted on Friday, April 26, 2002 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

And that's why dedicated absintheurs would hang about the cafés and play professor, teaching the neophytes about water/sugar dosage and application.
Artemis
Posted on Friday, April 26, 2002 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"and maybe I should pour it in my ear instead of my tight lips"

Or some other convenient orifice. But Wolfgang's description is better than mine. The variation is indeed from glass to glass. By quality control, I was talking about batch to batch, which isn't at all the same thing as the "fairy messing with you" syndrome. And yes, the more "natural" the product, the greater the variation, so I think your point about La Bleue, if there is such a thing, is valid, and more valid than for commercial brands.
Admin
Posted on Friday, April 26, 2002 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I think it's fascinating how we're discovering that the finer (or more complex) the absinthe, the more enhanced it is when the correct amount of water is added (and in a lesser degree, sugar).

I've noticed this too when tasting. straight, or not enough water and the taste can be an assault, or hidden behind the usually dominant anise. but anise recedes with dilution.

The water/sugar ritual wasn't just a show. It was a necessity, not because of the unpalatability of drinking absinthe straight, but perhaps because it didn't become more than the sum of it's parts until you did.
Wolfgang
Posted on Friday, April 26, 2002 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have noticed extreme variations especially with hausgematches. I believe natural products are very sensitive to water and sugar ratio. The temperature and the speed of watering can also be a factor to a smaller extend. Sometimes just 1/2 oz of water can change everything.

For exemple, the first time I tasted the nice sample described in the "gratitude" tread, I was lucky to have just the perfect water and sugar dosage. Two days ago I had another glass and it was not the same. It was good but not so great because there was too much water and not enough sugar. That's also probably why Vera didn't seem to be amazed at the moonman's #5 sample some weeks ago. Not enough water in this absinthe make it taste only of anis. More water and the anis goes in the background and more floral and spicy notes emerge... That's the magic of naturally crafted absinthes. You need to properly drown the fairy to let her soul appear.

Take note that I'm not talking about batches variations. I'm talking about variations from glass to glass from the same bottle.

I have noticed this also with Jade's samples of which I honestly can't remember how many glass I've tasted on that night. It tasted slightly different each time but it was like a very beautifull women dancing for you, showing you her sexy body from different angles...

(Hey Ted, you should keep a log of all those quotes ;-) ).
Robertsmith
Posted on Friday, April 26, 2002 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ok maybe La Fee didn't taste exactly the same, but it still tasted like La Fee. And I swear on Aleister Crowleys grave that NS tastes (to me, in my humble opnion) exactly the same every time I drink it. Maybe the fairy is an aritocratic bitch who only descends to give her blessings to those she finds have the proper Absinthe IQ to fit the Absinthe bell curve, and maybe I should pour it in my ear instead of my tight lips. The point is that I've noticed a much wider taste variation with La Bleu than any other absinthe I've had, which probably makes sense cause it's not commercially produced and so the batches are small and less quality control etcetera etcetera... maybe the brew is just less stable than the others.
Mossy poop and mud. yum. think of the hell we could raise if we had a Deva/Sebor Kamikaze. Scatological fun for everyone!
Chevalier
Posted on Friday, April 26, 2002 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I look forward to finding out. Thanks.
Artemis
Posted on Friday, April 26, 2002 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

> La Fee tastes exactly the same every glass

Not to me, it didn't.

> so does ... Deva

Not to me, it didn't.

Maybe you're not holding your lips right. Maybe the fairy doesn't like you enough to play with you.

> And sebor always tastes like mossy poop

And Deva always tastes like mud. Sometimes not as nasty as others, but always mud.

> LB is substantially more potent than the

No blanket statement can be made about "La Bleue" because the term can mean anything and therefore means nothing. Unfortunately, the same can be said of "absinthe" nowadays. I've talked myself out of it. It's not true of all absinthe. We can't have this discussion unless terms are first defined.

> I think the unpredictability of it is actually kind of fun

On that we agree.

Chevalier, I don't know the answer; it could be purely subjective. It would be easier to answer why it doesn't seem to apply to Jade; "quality control" adequately sums it up. But I have no doubt that if I drank Jade on a regular basis, it would mess with me as noted below also.
Chevalier
Posted on Friday, April 26, 2002 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Interesting, Artemis. Begs the question: why would this phenomenon occur with the other stuff?
Robertsmith
Posted on Friday, April 26, 2002 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I would say that it is not true of all absinthes. My La Fee tastes exactly the same every glass I have, and so does my Deva and NS. And sebor always tastes like mossy poop no matter how many glasses you've had. Or maybe you're right that it is the green fairy, because LB is substantially more potent than the commercial brands, and maybe its the ingredients in LB that are playing tricks on my senses... anyway, I think the unpredictability of it is actually kind of fun, but just weird...
Artemis
Posted on Friday, April 26, 2002 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

And as my post was travelling through the ether to Kallisti's parlor, I thought, "but Ted's stuff is remarkably consistent". But there are technical reasons for that which don't apply to the other stuff.
Chevalier
Posted on Friday, April 26, 2002 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Does anyone know why it happens?
Artemis
Posted on Friday, April 26, 2002 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Has anyone else noticed this?"

Lots of people have noticed it; it's been noted and discussed here many times. It's true of ALL absinthe. It's the green fairy messing with you. I am NOT being sarcastic.
Chevalier
Posted on Friday, April 26, 2002 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Does this happen with any of the Jades?
Robertsmith
Posted on Friday, April 26, 2002 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

So I've got this LB #3 and every time I drink it, it tastes totally fucking different than the last time. Not bad, just different. Has anyone else noticed this? Is LB particularly sensitive to exposure to oxygen? I know some old wines are like this, that will be perfect on the first glass and then the 2nd glass is salad dressing...
The first glass I had last night of LB was very dry and clean and light and almost like drinking a cloud, and then the 2nd glass tasted like a train wreck of herbs doused in ethanol! Then the third glass tasted good but thin. Any ideas???? Maybe I'm just a souse and my tastebuds are fucking with me...

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page