Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Toulouse Lautrec repro spoon from Bet...

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » Archive Thru April 2002 » Toulouse Lautrec repro spoon from Betina. « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through April 28, 2002Destiny25 4-28-02  6:43 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Meat_Nipples
Posted on Monday, April 29, 2002 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

A friend of mine has a sunburst reissued Fender Jazzmaster. Its his main axe. It sounds very nice, more like a standard strat than the twangy high end of a telecaster. He plays a lot of retro rock stuff so it suits him well.
Wolfgang
Posted on Monday, April 29, 2002 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The only reason I would buy it would be to own every frenchman repros.
Robertsmith
Posted on Monday, April 29, 2002 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'd like to drink absinthe out of ToulouseLautrec's skull personally, but to have a repro of his (well, supposedly his) spoon is quite dandy. In the world of antiques, anything costs $100 or more anyway. Look at guitars. A reissued Fender Jazzmaster is still way more expensive than a brand new Telecaster, and even though it's not the same as having an original, it's still pretty fucking cool since it's so rare. Besides, our obsession with rare collectible items helps fuel feelings of elitism, so of course we'll all buy it hook line and sinker. Anyway, I think the spoon is a pretty cool thing to have, but it wouldn't be number one on my priority list...
Chevalier
Posted on Monday, April 29, 2002 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Almost certainly means plating.
Wolfgang
Posted on Monday, April 29, 2002 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Anyway, I have to confess, I`m not a serious collector. I just like to have some old spoons around.
Wolfgang
Posted on Monday, April 29, 2002 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

''It is hand crafted from the highest quality silver plate. ''

Do they mean plating or solid silver ? If it`s made from solid stearling silver, it`s a bargain.
Chevalier
Posted on Monday, April 29, 2002 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

How much would you pay for this silver-plated, hybrid reproduction offered by La Boheme? Is $71.42 (shipping fee not included) too much, you think?

http://www.laboheme.uk.com/Absinthe/absinthe_spoon.htm
Chevalier
Posted on Monday, April 29, 2002 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Chevalier
Posted on Monday, April 29, 2002 - 8:27 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Wolfgang said:
"Anyway, I'm sure we will soon end up with a Lautrec spoon on ebay, unless there's a special mark to identify the fake."

Wolf, some of Betty's Lautrec spoons are marked with the word "frenchman" on the backs of the handles; others are marked "betina". I understand that none are unmarked. Why Frenchman Phil's monniker is on these spoons is a mystery to me. Betty is the only person I'm aware of who's selling them.

Is $100 too much? Look at it this way:

-- they compare quite well to the original piece;
-- their design is unusually ornate;
-- they're by no means a dime a dozen;
-- even if the original spoon wasn't Toulouse-Lautrec's, the possibility that someone created it (chances are long ago) and ascribed it to Lautrec is of interest.

If you're not much into absinthe paraphernalia, probably NO absinthe spoon is worth $100 to you personally. But for me, the price is acceptable. I don't see anyone else selling these particular repros at all, let alone for a lower price. At least, not yet.
Timk
Posted on Monday, April 29, 2002 - 8:18 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

heh, now theres the glass piece from a terminus fountain with a crack in it up for a minimum bid of 300 euros
Oxygenee
Posted on Monday, April 29, 2002 - 8:14 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

In one of her earlier journals Madame Delahaye describes the purchase of her first absinthe spoon in January 1981 - a La Feuilles d'Absinthe for which she paid 70FF. She says it was already recognised as one of the rarest spoons then (today they fetch $1500 plus). The going rate for a Tour Eiffel spoon in 1981 was 10FF, while a fountain cost 300FF.
Chevalier
Posted on Monday, April 29, 2002 - 6:54 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Aion,

There have always been collectors of absinthe items. I've mentioned before that the Chilean poet Pablo Neruda collected absinthe glasses; he died back in 1973. But enthusiasts were few and the market was lukewarm, until Marie-Claude Delahaye came on the scene.

Mme. Delahaye's promotion of absinthiana (sp?) in her publications has fed a growing market for collectibles. Since 1983, she has been the starting point for a generation of collectors. Barnaby Conrad turned to her when he wrote his book; Francis Coppola rented one of her spoons for the absinthe scene in "Bram Stoker's Dracula".

Before the early '80s, it was possible to find very rare spoons in French flea markets for low prices. The late sister-in-law of an eBay seller called "goginny" did just this. Then, last year, goginny auctioned off the spoons. One of them fetched $850. What a difference twenty years makes!
Aion
Posted on Monday, April 29, 2002 - 5:18 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"they were made up long after Lautrec's death for the collectors market"

Does anybody know when the collecting of
absinthe related items started??

A.
Wolfgang
Posted on Monday, April 29, 2002 - 5:10 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm wondering if Lautrec was brigning his own spoons in cafes or if he was just using it at home.

Anyway, I'm sure we will soon end up with a Lautrec spoon on ebay, unless there's a special mark to identify the fake.
Etienne
Posted on Monday, April 29, 2002 - 5:04 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Oxygenee has mentioned before that he thinks that the "original" Lautrec spoons are very questionable. It's possible that they were made up long after Lautrec's death for the collectors market.
Meat_Nipples
Posted on Sunday, April 28, 2002 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thatís why I use SC's spoons exclusively. You can easily bend them to fit any glass and they only cost around $3-5 dollars. I think I saw one in a bubble-toy machine at my local Safeway. How convenient is that?

Les feuilles this, les cuilleres that. I've got a die cast metal repro of a spoon no self-respecting frenchman would have ever used in any time period and Iím proud of it!!!!!!

Sorry, too much absinthe tonight. Methinks the whole things a hoot. pologies to the forum....
Chrysippvs
Posted on Sunday, April 28, 2002 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"and will probably never be available again."

Wolfgang
Posted on Sunday, April 28, 2002 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I prefer pouring water through my very common but *vintage* Les feuilles #1 I bought for 15$ than to shell out 100$ for a repro... But I agree it's a very nice spoon and it would be very difficult to find an original.
Verawench
Posted on Sunday, April 28, 2002 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Um... it's still just a spoon. No, wait. A repro spoon.

If you in fact spent $100 on it, you wasted your money. Again, I repeat. Just a spoon. A repro spoon. M'kay?
Nolan
Posted on Sunday, April 28, 2002 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Only 200 of this heavy,silver-plated repro were made.And Betina is the sole owner.The spoon is exquisite.Mine is totally sugar coated now.This mold was difficult to make with the detail work.It was worth every fucking penny of $100 to me and will probably never be available again.Betina provided her PERSONAL ORIGINAL TOULOUSE LAUTERC SPOON to have it made.I have no idea where I would get my hands on an original,but I am very pleased with workmanship of this one.
Absinthespoon
Posted on Sunday, April 28, 2002 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Etienne
Posted on Sunday, April 28, 2002 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Whoops, never mind that question about La Boheme, I just got the word on that from a friend. Looks nice, gift box and everything. Is Phil making this one? I didn't have much time to check the story on the site.
Etienne
Posted on Sunday, April 28, 2002 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

What's this thing from La Boheme? Haven't heard about that one.

Phil is producing the spoons you mentioned, plus a copy of the Cuilleres #8. The Lautrec spoons are available with either Betty's mark or the Frenchman mark, so I would think that he's the ultimate source.

Besides, who else that we know of has the connections to make up something like this?

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page