Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through April 28, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » Archive Thru April 2002 » Something to eat with Absinthe... » Archive through April 28, 2002 « Previous Next »

Louched_Liver
Posted on Sunday, April 28, 2002 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Powerin' some happy clams into the porcelain sea.
Destiny
Posted on Sunday, April 28, 2002 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I thought I was gonna expel some happy clam chowder this morning. Fortunately, not.
Verawench
Posted on Sunday, April 28, 2002 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

You know what REALLY goes with absinthe? Happy clam chowder.
Destiny
Posted on Sunday, April 28, 2002 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Even before I was a vegetarian I never understood the sushi thing. Very interesting presentation, but raw fish? Maybe if it had blonde hair and was wrapped in a Victoria's Secret thong... However, avocado rolls rule! Throw in some sweet ginger and those rice-filled tofu pocket things and I'm a happy clam!
_Blackjack
Posted on Sunday, April 28, 2002 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm with K. on the sexiness of sushi.

But bacon?
_Blackjack
Posted on Sunday, April 28, 2002 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Sushi is a very subtle and delicate food. It is diffcult to do well, and if done poorly, can be awful. Kinda like absinthe.

Hep C? Not unless your sushi-chef has been bleeding on your food, and you have cuts in your mouth. Hep C pretty much requires blood-to-blood contact. Hep A might be an issue, but less so than more common food-borne pathogens, and proper handling and refrigeration prevent most of these.

(There is no Hep C vaccine, BTW. There's one for Hep B, and recently one for Hep A, not that Hep A is serious enough to need one.)

Now, you CAN get all sorts of nasty parasites and such from raw fish that hasn't been frozen or beaten with a hammer (really), but that's what the absinthe is for...
Admin
Posted on Sunday, April 28, 2002 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Sushi is the sexiest food on the planet.

next to bacon.
Louched_Liver
Posted on Sunday, April 28, 2002 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hobby,
If that is what the sushi you had was like, you had some shittyass sushi. When it is fresh, and prepared correctly, it is sublime.
Lordhobgoblin
Posted on Sunday, April 28, 2002 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

What's the big deal with sushi? Just a blob of cold rice surounded by dry seaweed. Very pretty, but a tasteless, expensive waste of time and energy.

With absinthe I actually like cheese, a strong cheddar, a traditional crumbly cheshire and a young camembert (not too ripe).

Hobgoblin
Pikkle
Posted on Sunday, April 28, 2002 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Eat at Joe's!
Anatomist
Posted on Saturday, April 27, 2002 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I never thought much of sushi, sashimi, or whatever you want to call it until the last time I had it. Now I'm eager to go back and get all the weirdest shit on the menu. I suddenly 'get it'. I have heard, though, that it's wise to get vaccinated for I think it's Hepatitis C before going too crazy on the raw fish.

Anyone here ever eat Fugu?

K.
Robertsmith
Posted on Saturday, April 27, 2002 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Anyone who lives in NYC or watches Seinfeld will know that a Gray's papaya hot dog goes excellent with Absinthe. It's the filet mignon of hot dogs. Usually, since most of my income goes to my absinthism, I usually have no choice but to have it with cat food... It definitely aids digestion!
Seriously though, I have had it with sushi and like that. It's also good with any fresh mediterranean dish.
Verawench
Posted on Saturday, April 27, 2002 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

...but then again, who needs food?
Artemis
Posted on Saturday, April 27, 2002 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Dessert
Artemis
Posted on Saturday, April 27, 2002 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Like this?
Mr_Rabid
Posted on Saturday, April 27, 2002 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

No- when I say 'suhshi' I mean little rolls of raw fish or cucumber and seaweed and rice. The stuff you get at a sushi restaraunt. THEY call it sushi, who am I to argue ;-)

But I likes me some raw fish and absinthe.

Of course, that tuna/seaweed/Deva coctail didn't work out, but still...
Verawench
Posted on Saturday, April 27, 2002 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"But I suspect Rabid was pulling our leg."

For good luck, perhaps? Ha...haha...
Artemis
Posted on Saturday, April 27, 2002 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Keep in mind that sushi is pickled rice.

It's NOT raw fish.

Cucumber rolls is sushi.

California rolls is sushi.

A lot of sushi includes raw fish.

But I suspect Rabid was pulling our leg.

Myself, I like a good pickled pig lip with my evening glass of Deva ...
Pikkle
Posted on Saturday, April 27, 2002 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Eat fennel...
Verawench
Posted on Saturday, April 27, 2002 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

OK, cucumber rolls aren't bad but actual sushi...*gags*

Now, some fresh salmon grilled with herbs and butter over a block of cedarwood...
Mr_Rabid
Posted on Saturday, April 27, 2002 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Sushi with lots of wasabi.
Rimbaud
Posted on Saturday, April 27, 2002 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I don't think absinthe goes with any food all that well. I prefer it as an aperitif or an after dinner drink.
Dehe
Posted on Saturday, April 27, 2002 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

its gonna sound weird but i like to eat ritz crackers with roasted garlic hummus on top...goes really well.
Steve
Verawench
Posted on Saturday, April 27, 2002 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Anything with pesto.
Miklovj
Posted on Saturday, April 27, 2002 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hey,
suggest me something to take when drinking my Absinthe. Maybe something old-fashoned-XIX century-french-food.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page