Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Absinthe Kubler : Could be a very ch...

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » Archive Thru April 2002 » Absinthe Kubler : Could be a very cheap source here. « Previous Next »

Absinthesque2
Posted on Thursday, May 2, 2002 - 4:23 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

As the person who made the "nutty" statement, as someone who has used the term "woody", and has been on the forum for two years, I will delurk for the moment.

I'm not a hausgemachter, but I've tried most of the available absinthes and probably one or two that Artemis would consider "good".

Thanks to hints that Ted has dropped, I realize that the "woody" taste I've talked about is most likely licorice, something I like sometimes and not others.

As for "nutty" that was my impression at the time of tasting but perhaps it can be elaborated a bit. I stand by my view that Kubler is a very good commercial product, better than most of the Spanish brands and on a par with most La Bleues I've tried, except for the lower alcohol content.

Call me a heretic, but I think the new Pernod is pretty good too.

The attitude around here is starting to remind me of the worst wine-geekery. It's part of why I don't participate much anymore.

Mark
Artemis
Posted on Wednesday, May 1, 2002 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

> I don't know, just rambling....

No, your point is well taken. Everything depends on what "earthy" means. To me, it means tasting like earth.

I have an idea, derived from a very good Sake, that I was supposed to run by Ted and Kallisti, but I've been lazy. I'll do it soon and/or post it here.
Robertsmith
Posted on Wednesday, May 1, 2002 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

natural it is...
Wolfgang
Posted on Wednesday, May 1, 2002 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Bob: The proper term should probably be something like "natural" "herbal" "medicinal". It's also possible that your vintage sample didn't taste perfectly fresh.
Wolfgang
Posted on Wednesday, May 1, 2002 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I think next time I'll send a sample to a non-hausgematcher, I will also provide a tiny bottle of tails so he/she could understand what we'r talking about when we say "unclean" or "dirty"...
Wolfgang
Posted on Wednesday, May 1, 2002 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

One day if we'r still alive we will see Ted's description method...One day

And my guess is it will not be before Jade's official launch
Robertsmith
Posted on Wednesday, May 1, 2002 - 7:03 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

the 1906 edouard pernod sample I had tasted very "earthy". What I mean when I say earthy is totally organic and not artificial in any way. It literally almost tastes "dirty", but not in a repulsive way. Simply in a way where the natural flavour of the actual herbs that were used is very prominent. Maybe it tasted earthy because it was 96 years old, but I can't think of a better word to describe it...
People tend to get their descriptive terminology from hoity toity wine reviews I think. I think better ways to describe absinthe than "woody" or "earthy" are how balanced it is, how light or sweet or dry it is, and how dense or thin it tastes, and most importantly how anisette is it?
I don't know, just rambling....
Artemis
Posted on Wednesday, May 1, 2002 - 3:19 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

There is no better proof that there are plenty of absintheurs who have never tasted good absinthe, than reviews with words such as "nuts", "earthy", "woody" as *positive* (or even indifferent) descriptors. Some of my own early (ignorant) reviews included. If your absinthe tastes like that, there's something wrong with it.
Wolfgang
Posted on Tuesday, April 30, 2002 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well, according to the review database, some people think it smells of nuts... but I digress ;-)
Destiny
Posted on Tuesday, April 30, 2002 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Is smelling of "tails" the same as smelling of ass?
Chevalier
Posted on Tuesday, April 30, 2002 - 6:32 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks, Zman. The more reviews, by more people here, of particular absinthes -- the better.
Wolfgang
Posted on Tuesday, April 30, 2002 - 6:23 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"tails"

Haha, funny. In the reviews, some people seems to like it, calling it "nutty"... Maybe I should try to pass my Moonman friend's extra tails around at the next party and call it " fairy fart #1 " ;-).
Zman7
Posted on Monday, April 29, 2002 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Also, Ted gives a real good review in Kallisti's review section.
Zman7
Posted on Monday, April 29, 2002 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Okay, here's my response. Kubler comes in a very nice one liter bottle with a cork-top. The first thing you notice when you open a bottle is the strong smell of absinthe "tails"
This is the smell often associated with distilling at to high a temperature, or pushing your distillation to far. The flavor is mild anise, with an alcohol bite (surprising for such a low proof absinthe)and absinthium flavor follows. It is a nice addition for a collection, and better than alot of the Spanish fare.
If I can answer any more specifics, just ask.
Chevalier
Posted on Monday, April 29, 2002 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have faith that Zman7's response will be worth the wait.
Chevalier
Posted on Monday, April 29, 2002 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Still waiting.
Chevalier
Posted on Monday, April 29, 2002 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Still waiting for Zman7 to respond.
Chevalier
Posted on Monday, April 29, 2002 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Then what is, Zman? And where can I find it? I'm open to your suggestions, the conclusions you've formed. What say you?
Zman7
Posted on Monday, April 29, 2002 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"But if Kubler is as pleasant as most people say, why not go for it?"

Why not? It ain't that good.
Pikkle
Posted on Monday, April 29, 2002 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

hmm... find out if they ship to the U.S! NOW!
Chevalier
Posted on Monday, April 29, 2002 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yes, I think it's the same for the Kubler. I filled out their order form (just my address info, no payment) and sent it; apparently, they will e-mail me about shipping fees, availability and so on. We'll see ...
Wolfgang
Posted on Monday, April 29, 2002 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I couldn`t find any shipping info on the site, let us know if you find something out. They also tell they are selling wine in box of 6 bottles, I don`t know if it`s the same for Kubler...
Chevalier
Posted on Monday, April 29, 2002 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Check out

http://ww2.mauler.ch/Produits.asp?Groupe=040

Selling Absinthe Kubler for 45 Swiss Francs per bottle. That's about $28.

If I understood correctly the website's French, the minimum order is six bottles. But if Kubler is as pleasant as most people say, why not go for it?

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page