Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through April 25, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » Archive Thru April 2002 » From Hell Absinthe Documentary » Archive through April 25, 2002 « Previous Next »

Anatomist
Posted on Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

HAPPINESS ruined MAGNOLIA for me. Everyone said I should watch MAGNOLIA, but the style was so similar to HAPPINESS that I only made it about half way through. I was also a little unfavorably predisposed because I thought that 'TIL TUESDAY woman's song was overrated, and I was overexposed to it.

K.
Joalco
Posted on Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Marc ~

I half-heartedly watched "Welcome to the Dollhouse" at the insistence of my best friend, who also champions "Happiness." It wasn't my cup of tea, but neither did it inspire the same level of disgust that "Happiness" did, either.

I'll give Solondz fans this: his films are beautifully shot, and well-constructed story-wise, but the guy needs to be sent to a re-Neducation center, pronto.

Having known quite a few people who have been through similar experiences (including one close family member), I can't see why anyone would champion a film like "Happiness." I watched it once, on a friend's recommendation, and only kept from turning the damn thing off at his constant insistence. Afterwards I felt like I needed a shower. After the shower, I felt like I needed to spit in Solondz's slack-jawed visage.

But who knows? It's probably just me... I tend to be an opinionated asshole... ;-)

Based on previous experience, I didn't check out "Storytelling" when it was in theatres here. Some folks I know enjoyed it, but most said it was just more of the same.

As far as Harmony Korine's work, the only bit that I enjoyed was seeing Werner Herzog in Julien Donkey-Boy. And the black albino, straight from Alabama...
Louched_Liver
Posted on Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Gummo-Good.
J the Assboy-Not good.
Rimbaud
Posted on Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I myself liked "Welcome to the Dollhouse" better than "Happiness." Gummo is pretty awesome. Marc, did you see "Julien Donkey Boy?"
Marccampbell
Posted on Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

joalco,

did you like Solondz' WELCOME TO THE DOLLHOUSE?

GUMMO is a warped masterpiece.
Chevalier
Posted on Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"I can name dozens of great films that deal with repugnant subjects."

God, yes. Practically everything Peter Greenaway has ever directed (THE BABY OF MACON, etc.) fits in that mold.

A Greenaway moment: Twin brothers decide to kill themselves in the woods and film their own decomposition. The first part occurs without a hitch. (Un)fortunately, it rains soon afterward and legions of snails crawl all over the camera equipment, knocking everything over. So much for post-mortem documentation.
Joalco
Posted on Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Marc ~

I have to disagree. Solondz, like Harmony Korine, relies too much on shock value, and that in my mind ceased to have cinematic merit quite some time ago.

Watching a young child ask his father why he won't fuck him isn't entertaining. It's sad and disgusting. I think Todd Solondz spent a little too much time as an altar boy in the Catholic church.
Anatomist
Posted on Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 7:41 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well there must be some fundamental difference in presentation, attitude or something - none of those other movies made me want to punch the director...

K.
_Blackjack
Posted on Wednesday, April 24, 2002 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Patch Adams lives a few blocks from me. He used to share a house with my skeezy old-hippy ex-landlord, and a friend of mine used to babysit his kids. My girlfriend saw him at Taco Bell recently.

And for the record, Robin Williams wss WAY too good looking for the part, and that's saying something...
Marccampbell
Posted on Wednesday, April 24, 2002 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"HAPPINESS: contains scenes that are no more repugnant than parts of
TAXI DRIVER, DEAD ALIVE, TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE,
SAVING PRIVATE RYAN, THE SORROW AND THE PITY, SEVEN BEAUTIES, PATCH ADAMS, THE KING OF COMEDY,
SHOWGIRLS, RESERVOIR DOGS, PULP FICTION, MEAN STREETS, BLOOD FEAST, AN ANDALUSIAN DOG, THE BLOOD OF THE BEASTS. Did I mention PATCH ADAMS?

Shit, repugnancy is a boxoffice draw. Of course, I was going to see Herschell Gordon Lewis films when i was 12 years old.
Marccampbell
Posted on Wednesday, April 24, 2002 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I can name dozens of great films that deal with repugnant subjects. What the fuck is wrong with a film dealing with repugnancy? Most of modern life is repugnant. Look around.
Marccampbell
Posted on Wednesday, April 24, 2002 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Happiness" is brilliant.
Joalco
Posted on Wednesday, April 24, 2002 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Todd Solondz has some issues. His films are well made, but the subject matter, particularly of "Happiness", was repugnant.

Somebody should send that guy to therapy...
Anatomist
Posted on Wednesday, April 24, 2002 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Don't get me started on HAPPINESS. I finally saw that little ween Solondz on a TV interview. I still wanted to punch him for polluting my mind with that garbage and using up two hours of my life.

K.
_Blackjack
Posted on Wednesday, April 24, 2002 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

But...but...Ewan looks so SINCERE!
Verawench
Posted on Wednesday, April 24, 2002 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

You want excruciating?

See a little semi-recent flick called "Happiness".
Tortainglese
Posted on Wednesday, April 24, 2002 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The only way I could get through that movie is in a coma, strapped to a hospital guerney. Moulin Rouge should be seen and not heard. I like all kinds of music besides opera, but it has to be GOOD. This was junk. Who wants to listen to Nicole Kidman sing? Who thought that was a good idea? No plot development, no character development, recycled rotten music, cut so fast you couldnt focus on the image, vapid and empty. If the music had been good, it could have taken me along for the ride. The first time I walked out. It got a 2nd chance with me as an in flight movie. I could only get throught 20 minutes before I pulled the head phones off. It held so much promise, visually it was stunning, but just didnt have the goods to deliever anything worthy my attention. sorry, just needed to rant and rave...
Pikkle
Posted on Wednesday, April 24, 2002 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

...the only R&R Charlie ever got was some cold rice and a little rat meat...
Morriganlefey
Posted on Wednesday, April 24, 2002 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"..wearing a frock-coat in the company of a busty redhead in a corset..."

Yes? Did someone call?!? (couldn't resist)

I FUCKING loved Moulin Rouge (yes, fucking). The "Like a Virgin" dance sequence was sublime, and the "Roxanne" tango was sexier than hell.
Sicboy13
Posted on Wednesday, April 24, 2002 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I like the movie, I LOVE the opening scene with the little orchestra conductor guy.
Verawench
Posted on Wednesday, April 24, 2002 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Wolfgang, you're missing the point of the movie's genre. It's like wishing that "Silence of the Lambs" had more cleavage and fart jokes. The movie is a sugar rush, not a tofu salad.
Raschied
Posted on Wednesday, April 24, 2002 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Or, you can come see it on my home theatre with a glass of NS in your hand as you watch it. We had an absinthe party with about 10-15 people a few months ago, and, sure enough, we ended up watching and singing the whole movie. The movie does get better with a few drinks under the belt.

Absinthe goggles?

Absinthe spectacles?
Lauralanthalasa
Posted on Wednesday, April 24, 2002 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I worship Moulin Rouge.

Christian makes me randy.
_Blackjack
Posted on Wednesday, April 24, 2002 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I don't thing Moulin Rouge was designed for the mass. Most people can't stomach musicals, and musicals, in recent years, are inevitably flops unless they are children's films. I think it was over-hyped a bit, but that is the fault of the studio, not the film-makers.

Go see it again drunk on absinthe, on the big screen, preferably wearing a frock-coat in the company of a busty redhead in a corset...
Mr_Rabid
Posted on Wednesday, April 24, 2002 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Moulin Rouge ruled. It was like a punk rock cover of an opera tune, a glittering empty beautiful fucking party of a movie.

How could you NOT like that 'like a virgin' scene?

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page