Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through May 03, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » Archive Thru May 2002 » NYC GT » Archive through May 03, 2002 « Previous Next »

Wolfgang
Posted on Friday, May 3, 2002 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I would definitely take the train if there was one arriving earlier. I just do love trains. I would take an old steam train if it was available ;-).

train
Angryp
Posted on Friday, May 3, 2002 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

The nice thing about the train is that it'll take you right into Manhattan. Getting to and from LGA or JFK can be quite a hassle.

I take the train to my folks in RI all the time. It costs about the same as a plane trip and is slower, but is much more convenient.

Coming from Baltimore/DC, I'd take the train over an airline any day of the week, especially with the high speed Acella Express trains that are now running.
Tortainglese
Posted on Friday, May 3, 2002 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

If you have a long distance to travel to NYC, I suggest you check out www.priceline.com. Here you can buy plane tickets very cheap by submitting what you are willing to pay. For instance, I flew from NYC to SF a few months ago for only $200 RT.
I just typed in $200 and bingo! Presto! some airline met my price. Last year I got all the way to Italy for $300. Flying from Chicago or a similiar place may be as cheap as $100. Well, it is worth investigating, could be cheaper and faster than the train.
Admin
Posted on Friday, May 3, 2002 - 8:56 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

train fares have gone up about 30%-50% in the last 6 months or so, I assume due to amtrak's deep financial troubles.
Crowlyman
Posted on Friday, May 3, 2002 - 8:46 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I was expecting the train to cost about 125. I don't know wtf i was thinking.
I'm going to have the secrataries do me a favor and check out some plane tickets from Ohare or Midway.
Wolfgang
Posted on Friday, May 3, 2002 - 5:09 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

And I guess you could just colapse in the rented flat... Then no need to pay for an hotel room. If you drink enough, the bat tub will be confortable ;-).
2loucheltrec
Posted on Thursday, May 2, 2002 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

mr. crow lee - $218 for a train, jeesuss h. christ, i just looked last night for myself from wash d.c. to nyc (jfk) round trip flight for exactly the same amount $218. hey, plastic money works miracles or you can scan some benjis on the computer , just remember to print both sides ;-)
Crowlyman
Posted on Thursday, May 2, 2002 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well, all I need is one night since my train would arrive on saturnday and leaves on sunday.
Its ok if no, cuz i am not positive i can get the time off of work yet. There are more than one guys on vaca for that weekend.
Louched_Liver
Posted on Thursday, May 2, 2002 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Don't despair Crowlyman! If 3 share a room at the Pennsylvania, it only runs $35/night. I don't know what food you are going to eat, but that's the least of my worries in NY. Shit, I eat off the pushcarts all the time. There are better things to do than eat.
Pablo, Tavvy, you guys want to 3 way w/the Crow?
Crowlyman
Posted on Thursday, May 2, 2002 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The train (#48) would be due to arrive at Penn Station at 3:20 PM. The round trip cost is $218. This is something I may not be able to afford. :(
I must also get a place to stay and to eat. It would run me, conservatively, $350-$400. It would only be me because my buddy is still overseas. I am pretty peeved right now.
Not to mention, my wife is going to Pennsylvania a week and a half before this, so the budget will get tight from that.

Is there anyone close to me?(NW Indiana)
Maybe we can have multiple GT's on the same night in different locales? Then we could hook that chat room idea back up. I dunno, I am just brainstorming at the moment.
Crowlyman
Posted on Thursday, May 2, 2002 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yes, a fox paw.
Louched_Liver
Posted on Thursday, May 2, 2002 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

2ly,
I'm here to serve. And yes, what a faux pas to show up in Maine when it is really in Michigan. My, my.
2loucheltrec
Posted on Thursday, May 2, 2002 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

LL- thanx for reorienting me, it would be a travisty to show up at the wrong city for the wrong fest. haven't been out that way in some time.
Louched_Liver
Posted on Thursday, May 2, 2002 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

FOM,

No need to update, if they want to come, all are welcome. The more the fairier. Good move hanging over (get it?) on Sunday.
Louched_Liver
Posted on Thursday, May 2, 2002 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

2ly, my fellow grill jockey,
That would be the Ishpeming in Michigan.
Wolfgang
Posted on Thursday, May 2, 2002 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

It's a good thing they are comming, that way my girlfriend will have some company to visit some museum while I'll probably be recovering from the fest ;-).
Wolfgang
Posted on Thursday, May 2, 2002 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I should be there from sat pm to monday am.
Wolfgang
Posted on Thursday, May 2, 2002 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I don't know yet if everybody is comming to the GT. I'll let you know. They planned to visit NY anyway and it's just an opportunity for them to pool for a car. My sister in law do like absinthe, she even had the chance to see the moonman at work and assisted him up to the middle of the night (something went wrong with the setup for the #6 batch and it took a lot more time to complete). I don't know about her friend. I'll ask her when she gets back from vacation next week.
2loucheltrec
Posted on Thursday, May 2, 2002 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

liver man- which ishpeming you talking 'bout? the one in arizona or the one in maine? i wanna make sure i'll end up at the right place!
Louched_Liver
Posted on Thursday, May 2, 2002 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hey Pikkle, The Snapper is on HBO3.
Louched_Liver
Posted on Thursday, May 2, 2002 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ishpeming, Pikkle. Can't you remember anything?
Pikkle
Posted on Thursday, May 2, 2002 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Which town was it again????
Pikkle
Posted on Thursday, May 2, 2002 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I will be in town the WHOLE WEEK, with or without you all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BWAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!
Louched_Liver
Posted on Thursday, May 2, 2002 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

A four way cut? Shit pal, yer golden. It'll be very affordable then. Plus, you'll have 3 people who can scream at you when you miss a turn or run a light.

All 4 of you are coming to the Fest, correct?

Are you buggin' up and out early on Sunday, or did you sensibly take Monday off?
Wolfgang
Posted on Thursday, May 2, 2002 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I think that's what I'll do. In fact it will be cut in four (me, my lady, my sister in law and her friend).

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page