Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through May 03, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » Archive Thru May 2002 » What gives the best "absinthe effect?" » Archive through May 03, 2002 « Previous Next »

Lordhobgoblin
Posted on Friday, May 3, 2002 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Pardon my ignorance but I have not seen many dollar bills. When did this 'New Order' stuff first appear on your dollar bills?

This New Order nonsense doesn't exist it's simply a catchy sound-bite, an attempt to grab a few media headlines (a bit like Tony Blair's 'Stakeholder economy' bullshit). The Bank of England certainly would print 'Stakeholder Economy' or 'The Middle Way' or any other catchy phrases on UK currency.

Anyway money should be for buying stuff, not for spreading political or religious messages, even if the dollar bill claims that God has given the 'New Order' his personal seal of approval. Did he give his approval by writing in tablets of stone or did he appear in a vision before the US Senate?

Hobgoblin
Crowlyman
Posted on Friday, May 3, 2002 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

america = purtianical
Albertcamus
Posted on Friday, May 3, 2002 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

america has alot to be desired,but however!i digest!the women here are really beautiful..
Sicboy13
Posted on Friday, May 3, 2002 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Subliminal messages assurring us that the "Illumanati" are in charge.

We dance like painted puppets...
Verawench
Posted on Friday, May 3, 2002 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

So what is this New Order they're always writing about on my dollar bills?
Lint
Posted on Friday, May 3, 2002 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

dont make me cry lordhobgoblin :[

(im in the US)
Sicboy13
Posted on Friday, May 3, 2002 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hobgoblin, in the immortal words of Ed McMahon,
"You are correct, Sir!"
We here prefer to take 2 steps forward, and 4 steps back. It's the American way.
Lordhobgoblin
Posted on Friday, May 3, 2002 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Maybe the US will follow suit?"

Unfortunately for you, my American friends I very much doubt it. It's not only about how the regulations are written, it's about the general prohibitionist attitude that seems to pervade in the USA.

The USA seems to take the attitude of 'what other intoxicants ar there that we haven't already banned and lets' ban them also'. European countries take a much more tolerant and liberal appraoch. In the UK for example (probably one of the least liberal-minded nations in Europe) mainstream political opinion (as well as public opinion) is in favour of legalising cannabis. It has now been downgraded to a class C drug and for possession you now receive a police caution (that's if they're bothered to deal with it at all), no court appearance, no fine, no criminal record. The decriminalisation of Class A drug (Heroin, Cocaine etc) users is now being openly talked about within mainstream politics.

Can you really see this approach being taken in the USA where your politicians seem to be stuck in the prohibitionist dark ages.

Hobgoblin
Crowlyman
Posted on Friday, May 3, 2002 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"This country seems to be going backward not forward. "

I whole-heartedly agree. I vote Libertarian at every election.
I had been with a 'guerilla advertising' group at one point. We had plans to basically flood the walls and car dashboards with Libertarian flyers. (we didnt ask them for permission). We never did it becasue we thought better of it: We envisioned a news story about how the Libertarians are littering, in massive quantities, their 'propaganda'.
We decided against it then, but now I think I might start it back up.
Doctorm
Posted on Friday, May 3, 2002 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"we need a good vet on this forum! "

I didn't want to get into your "Depressed" Thread but do not forget that all of the equipment and drugs we use in veterinary medicine is the same and costs us the same as your medical doctor...But I do not not charge $200 for an office visit...

Mike
Sicboy13
Posted on Friday, May 3, 2002 - 7:20 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Destiny, I'm quite late & quite off subject but

"I love my dead, gay son."

Heathers was a great movie.

It was..."Big Fun", eh?

Sic(postin wherever, whenever)boy
Nascentvirion
Posted on Friday, May 3, 2002 - 6:43 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

There is a anti smoking commercial ad on television followed by a anti-drug ad every 30 mins. I doubt absinthe would ever see the light of day in the US. As someone said because of all the taboo and mysterys. This country seems to be going backward not forward.
Artemis
Posted on Friday, May 3, 2002 - 3:43 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

> As far as the US following suit-don't hold your
> breath, esp with the republicans in.

Republicans, my ass.

In what? The last time I checked, the Demogogues control the Senate.

The FDA is merely one of an alphabet soup of rogue agencies with no accountability to anybody; it has nothing to do with Republicans being anywhere.
Rimbaud
Posted on Thursday, May 2, 2002 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Jade Liqueurs' "Nouvelle Orleans" is certainly effective. And tasty. And aesthetically pleasing. I know this because I'm drinking it right now. The girl in my framed Absinthe Robette print is looking more beautiful than ever! I can't...stop...staring!
Texsinthe
Posted on Thursday, May 2, 2002 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Europe lifting the bans seems like a mixed blessing-on one hand you can go in a bar and have a La Fee, but on the other they've messed with old Dr. O's recipes, so there's always this big authenticity discussion which never ends!
As far as the US following suit-don't hold your breath, esp with the republicans in.
_Blackjack
Posted on Thursday, May 2, 2002 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The problem is that, the way the US regs are written, the ban is on wormwood as an ingredient. In order to sell it legally here, SOMEBODY would have to petition the FDA to allow wormwood to be used in alchoholic beverages, which would require footing the bill for the research necessary to prove it is safe. There isn't enough money in the absinthe market to justify that expense.
Verawench
Posted on Thursday, May 2, 2002 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Maybe the US will follow suit?"

Just when I needed a good laugh.
Crowlyman
Posted on Thursday, May 2, 2002 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

So, is there anything that anyone knows about the US allowing sells of absinthe?
I hear that the EU has lifted the ban completely (or is ready to) and Canada is going to as well.
Maybe the US will follow suit?
Giovannigray
Posted on Thursday, May 2, 2002 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

..and I suppose since it's the same company marketing both there, Green Bohemia isn't about to discredit over 50% of its business.

Maybe that's one of the reasons they've decided to sell La Fee world-wide, Their website still says they only sell Hill's in the UK.
_Blackjack
Posted on Thursday, May 2, 2002 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Part of that is the fact that Hill's was the first absinth marketed in the UK, so that's what they all think it's SUPPOSED to taste like...
Giovannigray
Posted on Thursday, May 2, 2002 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Apparently, neither do the British, where Hill's, from what I've read in earlier Forum posts, is outselling La Fee there.
_Blackjack
Posted on Thursday, May 2, 2002 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

{it}? is selling like hotcakes in Germany. Except that they don't SELL hotcakes in Germany, but you get my point. So, yeah, absinthe has the potential to be very popular, tho I suspect MOST of its appeal at this point in history is the mystique and taboo. I don't think the flavor is broad enough in its appeal, at least in the US, to ever become more than a fad. Most Americans don't like anise.
Albertcamus
Posted on Thursday, May 2, 2002 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

if {it} were more easily bought here in the states,{it} would be the only alcohol i would buy.i often wounder just how big of a seller absinthe would be if {it} was more available.i get the feeling that {it} would be a very successful.
Destiny
Posted on Thursday, May 2, 2002 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Me too. The first time I tried absinthe I was just curious and wasn't too thrilled with the taste. It was okay, but... It was a gift (free booze) so, over time, I eventually drank the rest of the bottle. But somewhere between that tenative first glass and the end of the bottle I developed a genuine love for the flavor and can honestly say it's my favorite drink.

Hear that? I love my dead gay son!
Giovannigray
Posted on Thursday, May 2, 2002 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

..and I love the flavor of most absinthes I've tried. It's become my drink of choice above all others.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page