Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Pernod 68 and Oxygenee: Tasting notes

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » Archive Thru May 2002 » Pernod 68 and Oxygenee: Tasting notes « Previous Next »

Pikkle
Posted on Monday, May 6, 2002 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Versinthe sucks some serious ass...
Wolfgang
Posted on Monday, May 6, 2002 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I`m talking about Versinthe, I have not tasted Pernod 68 yet.

Yes it would be unfair to say Versinthe is bad just because the producer and distributor fumbles in their lies...huuu, I mean disagree on some details ;-)...

But I have tasted it, hell I even drank a whole bottle so it`s drinkable but it`s not absinthe at all and it`s too sweet. I even asked my friend on the moon to conduct some experiments on it (striping off the sugar and artificialy added color) and the resulting product was of absolutely no interest. I understand that re-distilling even a good absinthe would result in something lame but its like tasting the gost from the spirit and to those who are used to play with this kind of experimentations, it gives an idea on the overall quality of the starting product.

In doubt, taste it, it`s drinkable and most certainly better than many so called absinthes but it`s not great. Your better off with a bottle of Henry Bardouin pastis.
Absinthespoon
Posted on Monday, May 6, 2002 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Destiny- The François Guy is barely colored at all. It's a very subtle and pale yellowish, so I wouldn't count on them having put a huge amount of herbs in the coloring step. I haven't seen the Emile Pernot yet, but I imagine I will be seeing it soon!
Angryp
Posted on Monday, May 6, 2002 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Wolfgang,

Don't you think it's a little unfair to paint Verisinthe in those colors just because the distributor and producer disagree on some of the details of the product? Maybe the distributor was just talking out of his ass?
Destiny
Posted on Monday, May 6, 2002 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

>> Everybody are just complaining about the insane amount of sugar and the pungent taste of added star anis oil.

Wolfgang, are you talking about Pernod 68? If so, I'm surprised because I didn't find it sweet or containing *lots* of anise. As mentioned, I found it very bitter. Have you tried it yet?

Regarding the use of A.Pontica, isn't Emile Pernot supposed to be colored authentically? How about its use in F.Guy?
Wolfgang
Posted on Monday, May 6, 2002 - 6:04 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Maybe six mounth ago I exchanged some emails with the producer and also with the distributor of Versinthe in Quebec and it was all contradictions over more contradictions.

Anyway I don't think it will ever become really popular in Montreal. Everybody are just complaining about the insane amount of sugar and the pungent taste of added star anis oil.

When ignorance meets lies, we end up with such products.
Aion
Posted on Monday, May 6, 2002 - 3:26 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

neverending_story
Petermarc
Posted on Monday, May 6, 2002 - 2:34 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

>Petermarc, nobody (who knows) expected modern Pernod 68° to conform to their original recipe

?
Dr_Ordinaire
Posted on Monday, May 6, 2002 - 2:07 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"but it does confirm that pernod is not conforming to their original recipe for pernod 68°... "

Petermarc, nobody (who knows) expected modern Pernod 68° to conform to their original recipe.

The question is: does ANY modern absinthe conform to their (Pernod 1898) original receipt?
Petermarc
Posted on Monday, May 6, 2002 - 12:32 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

NEWS FLASH! (again-but not so new, but new to me)

this contradicts what i was told at versinthe:
http://www.pernod.fr/index_actuAll.htm

but it does confirm that pernod is not conforming to their original recipe for pernod 68°...
Zman7
Posted on Sunday, May 5, 2002 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Petite Absinthe (artemisia pontica) is indeed a primary ingredient in vermouth and many other liqours.
Mvario
Posted on Sunday, May 5, 2002 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Tasting of El Ignorante

My Pernod just arrived, and my Kübler and Oxygénée last week. My favorite of the three was the Oxygénée which I found fery subtle. I also liked the Pernod 68 quite a bit. The Kübler not as much. It tasted similar to the La Bleues I had tried, but with a bitterness to it I didn't like. I now await my first bottle of François Guy (Goûteurs Élite feel free to flame now).
Absinthespoon
Posted on Sunday, May 5, 2002 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Isn't petite absinthe in vermouth?
Petermarc
Posted on Sunday, May 5, 2002 - 8:40 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

>"With sugar" was the way the original Pernod 58° was drunk.

well, it was one way that it was drunk, but not the only way...pernod 68° CANNOT be representative of original pernod fils for the the fact it is not colored naturally, therefore misses the taste and effect of the coloring herbs...
NEWS FLASH!
i was told yesterday, at the liquoristerie de provence (makers of versinthe) that the use of petite absinthe (absinthe pontica) is TOTALLY forbidden in france...this is amazing news to me as it goes against everything we have assumed in that it was being substituted for grande absinthe as a way to go around the laws...it just gets curiouser and curiouser...
Dr_Ordinaire
Posted on Sunday, May 5, 2002 - 6:29 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Pernod 68°, I mean.
Dr_Ordinaire
Posted on Sunday, May 5, 2002 - 6:28 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Petermarc, I'm surprised at this comment:

"...they thought the pernod 68° would be better with sugar (because of the bitterness at the end..."

Is there any other way? "With sugar" was the way the original Pernod 58° was drunk. If the new one did not need sugar, I would suspect it not being true to the original.
Wolfgang
Posted on Sunday, May 5, 2002 - 6:08 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ricard was the host ?

Hahaha
Petermarc
Posted on Sunday, May 5, 2002 - 4:16 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

your tasting is almost right on with the french
tasting...they thought the pernod 68° would be better with sugar (because of the bitterness at the end) and that oxygénée had a strong presence of anis vert and the final taste was 'peppery and dry at the same time'...however, they prefered the pernod 68°, but not by much...this panel gave ricard 3.5 stars, pernod 68° 2.5 and oxygénée only 2 (out of five)...proof that 'non-professional' tasters have valid points, and that professional ones may not know what the hell they are talking about...
Destiny
Posted on Saturday, May 4, 2002 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Just received my order from Markus; it took exactly one week to arrive. I skipped the Kubler and just ordered some Pernod 68 and Oxygenee. The packaging was surpisingly svelt. One side of the outer box was crushed and I'm shocked that the bottles were undamaged. I think that styrofoam would be much more bomb-proof, but I like the idea of more recycleable cardborad packaging so I'm torn...

After one glass of each, here are few quick comments:

Pernod 68: Very cool bottle, nice touch with the cork-cap and the "1805" stamp in the glass. The color is a bit much, but not as bad as LaFee. Anise is there but not overwhelmingly so. What *is* overwhelming is this strange bitterness on the sides and back of my tongue. (Is this the "bitterness" that people talk about?) I've never tasted this sensation before and I don't like it. Generous water and sugar help the taste but I don't think I will be buying this again - too bad because they did such a nice job with the bottle.

Oxygenee: Nice color, like extra-virgin olive oil. The bottle is okay, like a smaller version of NS70 with a very nice label. Again, anise is there but not as much as the Spainsh brands. Seems more complex that most others, I detect some other herbs/flavors but my uneducated palate can't distinguish what they are. What I find interesting is this "peppery" aftertaste. It's not bad, just unexpected. This was much better than the Pernod.

I'm gonna try again tomorrow because the Pernod bitterness makes me think that something is wrong with my tongue today.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page