Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Bunga Bunga! Amorphophallus titanum b...

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » Archive Thru May 2002 » Bunga Bunga! Amorphophallus titanum bloomed last week « Previous Next »

Admin
Posted on Monday, May 6, 2002 - 7:38 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Quote:

Last week the shoot began to swell dramatically and soon reached a height of over two metres, growing at a rate of 10cm a day. The huge phallic flower has now unfurled to reveal its blood-red interior. The central spike-like spadix has begun to heat up, giving off a pungent aroma described as a mixture of rotting flesh and excrement.

someone, bring me my fan! I'm feeling a little *flushed*
Absinthespoon
Posted on Monday, May 6, 2002 - 6:39 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

We went to Kew the end of March and saw it emerging from the soil. They also had one of those bloom at the Huntington Library in Pasadena a couple of years ago. One of these days maybe we'll actually see one...

Kew is a fantastic place. When we were there, it was a spectacular day and the whole place was covered in a sea of daffodils.
Bjacques
Posted on Sunday, May 5, 2002 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well, the bloom's over, but I thought it was still worth a mention. Kew Gardens has a giant yellow Sumatran penis plant, known locally as the bunga bunga that bloomed for 4 days. A friend and I happened to be in town and saw it on the second day (3 May).

http://www.kew.org/titan/

Horticulturists have only been able to get this Sumatran plant to bloom 15 times in the last century. Assuming the Kew botanists succeeded in pollinating it, the plant will look even more spectacular when it bears fruit. Kew Gardens has plenty of other smaller but no less impressive penis plants, and plenty of rude orchids.

Open until about 6pm, 6 quid to get in.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page