Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Back when newbies were skewered and s...

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » Archive Thru May 2002 » Back when newbies were skewered and shish kebab'd ... « Previous Next »

Larsbogart
Posted on Friday, May 10, 2002 - 6:17 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Then Betty came on the scene, or maybe she was there first, but relatively few people knew about her."

...according to her memoirs...It all started for BJ with a trip she took down a dark alley in Barcelona...
Artemis
Posted on Friday, May 10, 2002 - 2:57 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

> You'd better start posting thujone ANSWERS,
> buddy!

I don't know any. I'm but an altar boy in the Cult of Anti-Thujone; I merely accept the dogma. You have to be a Cardinal or better to be shown the magic book.

> my knowlege of absinthe was limited to Barnaby
> Conrad's book

It was that book which led me here. At the time, if you wanted absinthe and you weren't in Europe, you had one option: ordering Sebor from Kyle. Then Betty came on the scene, or maybe she was there first, but relatively few people knew about her. And almost everybody here owes thanks to former forum member Absintheur, because it was he who opened the door to Spirits Corner for us.

And then there's Ted, who could have kept it ALL to himself, but didn't.

Things have indeed changed, and in a good way.
Pikkle
Posted on Thursday, May 9, 2002 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

It's like astroglide of the mind...
Louched_Liver
Posted on Thursday, May 9, 2002 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

A hotbutton.
Albertcamus
Posted on Thursday, May 9, 2002 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

whats thujone??
Chevalier
Posted on Thursday, May 9, 2002 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Artemis forgive them, they know not what they do.

Seriously, I've learned so much from you and others here; it's been a mind-opening nine months. Memory is not my best suit, but I do recall that before finding this forum, my knowlege of absinthe was limited to Barnaby Conrad's book and Baggot's "FAQ". Thanks for the lessons, they've been great.

Learning aside, half the fun has been bantering and slinging words / pictures. In my lucky experience, the bad and the ugly have never come close to outweighing the good. It's a durable forum.

In short: Gracias beaucoup!
Dr_Ordinaire
Posted on Thursday, May 9, 2002 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"I think I'll change my handle and start posting thujone questions. "

You'd better start posting thujone ANSWERS, buddy!

I'be been waiting them for over a year...

Oh, just kidding, Arty.

Couldn't resist. Sorry.

O.
Raschied
Posted on Thursday, May 9, 2002 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Speaking of Jade -- are we there yet?

J
Artemis
Posted on Thursday, May 9, 2002 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Jeez, if I treat em rough I get shit, and if I coddle em I get shit. I think I'll change my handle and start posting thujone questions.
Petermarc
Posted on Thursday, May 9, 2002 - 4:02 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

***sniff***
Oxygenee
Posted on Thursday, May 9, 2002 - 3:45 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Its a Barney moment!!
Artemis
Posted on Thursday, May 9, 2002 - 3:38 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thank you, I like you too. You acquited (sp?) yourself well on that occasion and ever since, as far as I'm concerned. FWIW, when I saw Wolfgang's response (waterguns and all), I laughed out loud and felt stupid about my own overly verbose and unnecessary post. But somehow that doesn't stop me .....
Chevalier
Posted on Wednesday, May 8, 2002 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

No hard feelings then, no hard feelings now. Sure, I paid attention to what you said last August (August-August-August), but that's because I respected you. (Or more specifically, the absinthe forum "you".) And sure, you have a sharp tongue at times -- sharp, not abusive. No big deal. After all, there's a lot of intelligence, creativity and character that goes with it.
Sicboy13
Posted on Wednesday, May 8, 2002 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

For a good laugh, whenever one thinks of the word "newbie", start singing it to the song "She was just a groupie, she was just a groupie", only replace groupie with newbie, of course. Kinda funny, oh well, I'm just a newbie, I am just a newbie...Laaaaa-la-la-la-lala-laaaa!
Artemis
Posted on Wednesday, May 8, 2002 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

And now that Wolfgang has revealed that I'm only a machine, you know why I have no sense of humor.

Cheers,
Mr. Data
Artemis
Posted on Wednesday, May 8, 2002 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

> And how on earth did you even remember that it
> was almost 24 hours later?

I didn't, but I certainly remembered I was not talking about two *identical* posts when I questioned you back then.

> We're talking about last July

August 6th and 7th, to be exact.

> Artemis, I wasn't putting you on trial.
> I didn't mention your name, and I doubt that
> anyone but you and me even remember, let alone
> give a damn about, the incident.

I can't claim to give a damn, but you gave an account of the event that was not entirely correct, and completely incorrect as to the motive for flaming you (I was simply sick of hearing "Are we there yet?" about Jade), and being the flamer, I suppose I'm as free to comment on it as you, the flambee. I saw no way to so comment without identifying myself as the "baptizer" on that occasion, so there you have it.

Look at it this way: you recounted for the forum the perspective of a newbie Christian, entering the arena. I gave them that of the jaded (!) citizen of the Republic who watched you come in, uncertain whether to turn my thumb up or down.

> Was no one laughing the first time?

Don't remember seeing any laughs, and Don ripped you pretty good.

> Don't presume to speak for everyone around
> here.

I wasn't. I read the posts. They spoke for themselves. I was merely commenting on what I had read - Don hammered you and even those who didn't flame you took you pretty seriously as far as I could tell.

> what kind of newbie baptism did you go through?

None. I was largely ignored. It was a long time before anybody would converse with me, but nobody flamed me or anything like that.

No hard feeling okay? But you were talking about me, whether you named me or not, and I simply didn't remember it the way you did.
Chevalier
Posted on Wednesday, May 8, 2002 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

:-)
Wolfgang
Posted on Wednesday, May 8, 2002 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

No no no you don't understand, the elders here keeps a very detailled record of everything said by the newbies that can be used against them later. Said records are archived for 20 years before deletion. With the help of a powerfull computer named Artemis, they can flame you with quotes you said back to your previous life. Special agents around the worlds report to our grand security chief of archival of your every move so we could laugh about the pimples on your ass.

oups...I think I said too much... who are those men in black coming my way with those water pistols full of Hill's ?
Chevalier
Posted on Wednesday, May 8, 2002 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I posted my very first message twice. Until today, I thought that you were griping about that. And how on earth did you even remember that it was almost 24 hours later? We're talking about last July, for Pete's sake. Minutes or hours later, a skewering is still a skewering.

Artemis, I wasn't putting you on trial. I didn't mention your name, and I doubt that anyone but you and me even recalls, let alone gives a damn about, the incident.

Was no one laughing the first time? How long are your ears? Don't presume to speak for everyone around here.

I started this newbie thread hoping to read what others went through when they began posting on this forum. Artemis, what kind of newbie baptism did you go through?
Artemis
Posted on Wednesday, May 8, 2002 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

My reaction had nothing to do with your posting the same thing twice. And it wasn't the same thing, either.

You posted a sort of questionaire under the topic "The Future of this Forum" or some such, that implied this forum amounted to a bunch of groupies waiting for the Jade limousine to pull up to the concert hall.

The record will show that almost 24 hours later (not minutes), you posted something similar, under an entirely different thread, and only after that did I ask you how many such threads you intended to start. You replied that it was a joke, and I said that if nobody laughs the first time, do you repeat the joke? But I also posted the koan, as an example of how *I* shouldn't have behaved, and I apologized to you.

As newbie baptisms go, you had a cherry pitted and popped into your mouth as though by a loving grandma.
Chevalier
Posted on Wednesday, May 8, 2002 - 7:19 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I remember the first time I was skewered. It happened a few minutes after I posted my first message here.

As a butter-fingered newbie, I accidentally posted an entire conversation subtopic -- title and message -- TWICE. Don't ask how; just chalk it up to ineptitude. My message was a tongue-in-cheek "prediction" of what comments would be posted on the Forum when Jade was finally launched.

Reaction? Something along the lines of "Goddammit! I've had enough of these damn people worshipping Jade like it's some idol! Hausgemacht uber alles!!" Which in turn provoked a reaction to the reaction, something like: "The problem with this damn forum is that people take things too goddam seriously!!" There was an attempt to dissect my "reason" for posting the same subtopic twice, "since it wasn't even all that funny the first time." A Buddhist koan about failed humor was mentioned. Par for the course on this forum, though I didn't know it then.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page