Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Absinthe deterioration over 24 hours

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » Archive Thru May 2002 » Absinthe deterioration over 24 hours « Previous Next »

Wolfgang
Posted on Monday, May 13, 2002 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

According to usual yield of wormwood escential oil per KG of dried herb, 90mg/KG is possible but that's assuming most of the thujone actually ends up in the bottle. I'm not sure about this premise. Maybe yes maybe no.
Dr_Ordinaire
Posted on Sunday, May 12, 2002 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"I have tested many absinthes myself and only pure wormwood esential oil tests that high"

I think we have a metric problem here. 90 mg of thujone per Kg. of absinthe sounds like a lot (or just right, depending who you listen to) but 90mg/Kg of thujone on wormwood essential oil is just too little.

Essential oil of wormwood contains between 30 and 50% of thujone. So the right number should be between 300,000 and 500,000 mg of thujone per Kg of wormwood essential oil.
Wormwood
Posted on Sunday, May 12, 2002 - 5:21 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"90mg/Kg" Where did you pull that number from? What brand was that? Did you mean to type 9.0?

I have tested many absinthes myself and only pure wormwood esential oil tests that high.
Texsinthe
Posted on Thursday, May 9, 2002 - 2:19 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

>tasted like paint thinner<
So, if bad wine is vinegar, is bad absinthe turpentine? Is that what Van Gogh was trying to chase? A turpene?
Maybe those 90mg/kg days WERE pretty crazy!
Destiny
Posted on Wednesday, May 8, 2002 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

A few hours after my Pernod/Oxygenee taste-off, I picked up my glass and noticed a small amount of room temperature Oxygenee sitting there, so I drank it. I was very surprised to taste a delicious floral character that I didn't detect before. I haven't had any since, but I'm looking forward to see if I taste it again - it was really good!
Petermarc
Posted on Wednesday, May 8, 2002 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

>LaFee-- after 24 hours the food colouring was starting to seperate from the water, and tiny star shaped crystals were forming in the bottom of the glass. Do they put sea monkeys in LaFee. As for the taste, it tasted like dirty water with a little bit of Anise in it. Yuck!

from another post i made earlier:

>however, this statement is interesting
(translated)

anethol (the anisey-tasting/smelling chemical-thing found in anis, fennel, etc. that gives a great deal to it's appealing aroma) is a white cristal that melts at 21°C (70°F). when it comes in contact with ice, it cristalizes, and loses it's aromas.
therefore, one should put water into pastis first, then add ice. <

if there is alot of anis in the absinthe, i imagine the frig would cristalize the anethol, and thus causing it to suck afterward...
Robertsmith
Posted on Wednesday, May 8, 2002 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

yeah, these were already louched. The LaBleu I think is actually distilled from the herbs because it seemed pretty stable, and I'm sure that if I left an unlouched bottle of any absinthe sitting open it would be fine because there's nothing in it that would cause it to change. However, water seems to wreak havoc on Kubler and LaFee, but seems to work nicely with LaBleu. The more I drink it, the more I think Kubler is shit and I won't order it anymore. It just tastes like it was made in a very careless fashion. Maybe the Kubler recipe was some hot shit back in the day, but maybe Kubler's family should have cleaned out the pots from the 1800s before they started using them again!
Wolfgang
Posted on Wednesday, May 8, 2002 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

BJ : He was talking about watered absinthe.

It may have to do with the fact that some absinthes are distilled with the herbs and some are just oils mixed in ethanol.
Bjacques
Posted on Wednesday, May 8, 2002 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Weird. I've got half-opened bottles of La Fee, Hill's, Mari Mayans and Neto Costa that have been sitting on my bookshelf for over three months, and they're still pretty much ok. I had some La Fee a couple of weeks ago and it was fine. Maybe refrigeration wasn't such a good idea?
Robertsmith
Posted on Wednesday, May 8, 2002 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

so some friends came over the other night and we had lots of LaFee, LaBleu, & Kubler. At the end of the night, most of my friends were too stinko to finish their drinks, so I took them and put them in the fridge to come back to them the following day and see how they changed. Heres what I found:
LaFee-- after 24 hours the food colouring was starting to seperate from the water, and tiny star shaped crystals were forming in the bottom of the glass. Do they put sea monkeys in LaFee. As for the taste, it tasted like dirty water with a little bit of Anise in it. Yuck!

Kubler--it had completely unlouched, and looked like a hiddeous sperm sample with water on top. It tasted fucking vile. It had lost the characteristic nutty burnt kubler flavour and tasted like some horrible paint thinner mixed with tiajuana water. Bleccccch! Absolutely undrinkable. One sip and I gagged and threw the rest in the sink.

LaBleu#3 (yes from Betty, I know she's expensive but at least my bottles arrive!)--
It was still moderately louched, and smelled basically the same. It actually tasted basically the same which impressed me as well. It did taste a little thinner and lighter after sitting open in the fridge for 24 hours, but hadn't deteriorated nearly as severely as the LaFee or Kubler. It actually still tasted like LaBleu and was drinkable. I guess it's a pretty stable high quality absinthe after all.
As for who in their right mind would leave a glass of absinthe unfinished is beyond my comprehension, but if you're too blasted to finish, just make sure your last glass is LaBleu because apparently thats the only one that seems to preserve well....

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page