Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Organolepticism

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » Archive Thru May 2002 » Organolepticism « Previous Next »

Mr_Rabid
Posted on Saturday, May 11, 2002 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Wasn't Ted going to? Ted? Y'out there man?

Maybe we should start on one.
Artemis
Posted on Saturday, May 11, 2002 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

> I was talking about the corporate culture they
> seem to have

Yeah well, I'm not crazy about that part - shaping the collective mind of the herd so they can be led to buy the product and all - I agree that part is digusting, if not scary. It was the possibility of building a vocabulary of taste and smell that would work for absinthe (we sure don't have much of one now) that intrigued me.
Mr_Rabid
Posted on Saturday, May 11, 2002 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm not talking about any Brave New Woody tasting here.

I was talking about the corporate culture they seem to have (it was an aside.)

I agree with the useless word thing.
Lordhobgoblin
Posted on Saturday, May 11, 2002 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hardwoody or softwoody?
Crosby
Posted on Saturday, May 11, 2002 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm sorry to hear you've tasted Pikkle's woody.
Raschied
Posted on Saturday, May 11, 2002 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

It tastes like Pikkle's woody.
Lordhobgoblin
Posted on Saturday, May 11, 2002 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Does it taste like Oak or does it taste like Ash or does it just taste Woody?
Artemis
Posted on Saturday, May 11, 2002 - 6:04 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I think the point is that woody is not a bad word or a good word to describe taste, but a USELESS word, unless everybody knows (and agrees) what woody tastes like.

The George Orwell analogy is nonsense. If people want to communicate, they have to speak the same language, right? If they weren't born to the language, they have to be taught it, right? It's not any more complex than that, and certainly not sinister.
Mr_Rabid
Posted on Friday, May 10, 2002 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Goddamn, that's one scary site. It's like if George Orwell were a winetaster, he might have made this company as a warning to us all.

I can picture them dressed in black, in a bare room with cattle prods and a new recruit... "Woody is NOT a word to describe taste! BAD! BAAAAAAD!"
Artemis
Posted on Friday, May 10, 2002 - 3:05 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Okay, yesterday it finally occurred to me to wonder exactly what "organoleptic" meant, so I went searching. One of the things I found was this.

http://www.adriant.com/presentation_en.htm

I found that fascinating. I didn't realize there standards for such things. The implications for absintheurs are enormous, although wine afficionados (sp?) may just yawn. I think the point is, unless you're born with extraordinary senses of smell and taste, OR you're trained (by yourself or others) to taste something, you may not know what the hell you're talking about when you describe how it tastes, or at the very least, you're unqualified to impart that "knowledge" to others.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page