Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through May 09, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » Archive Thru May 2002 » What Now? » Archive through May 09, 2002 « Previous Next »

Chevalier
Posted on Thursday, May 9, 2002 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Trouble, hell; it sounds like something out of the movie "Ran"!
Eric
Posted on Thursday, May 9, 2002 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Bjacques,
the bottles of F-Guy were not purchased in amsterdam. I had ordered them from narbey and had them sent to a friend who lives in ternuzen. She brought them to me on saturday when my band played at the moulin blues fest in ospel. I flew back home on sunday with them in my suitcase. it seems I will not have to go to through as much trouble in the future now that Markus has made it available from him.
cheers!
Eric
Chevalier
Posted on Thursday, May 9, 2002 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Mclion's post begs the question: Might Wolvie & company have been busted? If so, who could blame them for not having made contact lately?

When you sell an illicit product, you run the risk of getting shut down. If you decide to purchase the product, you risk losing your money. The risk averse probably shouldn't buy Swiss farmer juice.
Bjacques
Posted on Thursday, May 9, 2002 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

About the Francois Guy...WHERE in Amsterdam? :-)

I know of a shop in the Jordaan that sells Neto Costa and a friend tells me of a liquor store in SW Amsterdam (Osdorpplein) that has Hapsburg. Is there yet another place?
Absinthedrinker
Posted on Wednesday, May 8, 2002 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The first batch of Un Emile 68 is resting in vats at the moment and should be arriving before the end of the month. It has not been 'dethujonized' or interfered with in any other way, just plants and alcohol. No extracts, no artificial colouring, no sugar, just like it used to be.
Mclion
Posted on Wednesday, May 8, 2002 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I tell you what: Imagine you go down to the Val de Travers and you are lucky enaugh to find somebody who eventually sell you a bottle, your are going to pay around 50,- SFR which is roughly $30. Still you haven't payed the alcohol tax - sure it's bootlegged. I don't know how much it's in CH, but here it's 13 Euro per kilo pure Alc. So this yould make maybe another $10. Then you havn't shipped it anywhere, nobody apart from the producer made any money from it and it is still highly dangerous. If something happens with the police, this could really get you in trouble.

To me LaBleue is for sure interesting, but I really would be stupid to offer it. It would definitly be the end for me, if somebody would recognize that I sell stuff like that. For this reason I will not offer LaBleue, it's simply not worth the risk!

So all you folks complaining about Guy, Kübler, Segarra an so on - just take a plane to Switzerland, drive to the Val de Travers, search for somebody to sell you a bottle (in fact nobody would sell a bottle to you!) and simply take the risk yourself!

LaBleue is LaBleue is LaBleue!

Markus
Destiny
Posted on Wednesday, May 8, 2002 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

>> You guys are silly. Not more than 2 or 3 years ago it was impossible to find any absinthe period. Then if a bottle of Hills showed up it was like the messiah showing up for dinner

This is true for some people, but it doesn't address the point. Maybe I'm lucky, a friend would send me Deva each time she went to Spain so that was as bad as it got for me. I stumbled across this forum as one who reguarly enjoyed absinthe but just wasn't aware of its availability, variety or complete history. I've tried many of the commercial brands but only two non-commercial products and the latter are simply better. Wolvie could get us a bottle of good blanche for $75 (delivered) so it should be possible for others to do it. Don claimed that you can get LaBleue for $30, shipping for 2 bottles is about $45 USD. If this is true, then profit could be over $20 a bottle. Even charging an extra $5 or $10 the stuff would still sell. If it's really not financially possible, I completely understand - but it seems possible.

I don't want to have sex with a transexual even though she really looks and feels like a woman, I don't want my tomatoes to be genetically engineered no matter how red and juicy they are, and I don't my absinthe to have anything taken out of it.

Honest question: why can't someon just make a normal, unadulterated product of good quality? It doesn't have to "live up" to Jade, it doesn't even need to be colored. Just a good LaBleue, readily available at a reasonable price would suffice.

Ian's gonna sell the E.Pernot, right? Isn't it processed the same as F.Guy?
Meat_Nipples
Posted on Wednesday, May 8, 2002 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I read that report too (from the stupid college kid)!!! It was hosted on the lycaeum.org in their trip reports. LOL that was a good one.
Chevalier
Posted on Wednesday, May 8, 2002 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

LOL Vera --

I remember reading somewhere the alleged "personal account" of some college stooge who drank steeped "absinthe" daily, if not hourly, for many weeks. He complained of severe memory and motor skills loss; gave the impression that he'd be toast before the semester's end.
Verawench
Posted on Wednesday, May 8, 2002 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Amen!

We could all be steeping wormwood in a bottle of Stolis right about now.
Chrysippvs
Posted on Wednesday, May 8, 2002 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

You guys are silly. Not more than 2 or 3 years ago it was impossible to find any absinthe period. Then if a bottle of Hills showed up it was like the messiah showing up for dinner...and now with all of these options there is still complaining, I think most of these late-day absinthe drinkers were born with a silver (put corny joke here) spoon in their mouth....

With people like Markus, SC, eabsinthe.com, etc there is not reason to complain. This is certainly a great time for the absinthe drinker to be around....

- J
Petermarc
Posted on Wednesday, May 8, 2002 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Joalco
Posted on Wednesday, May 8, 2002 - 8:06 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

My advice? Order some Francois Guy from Markus. I received a bottle two days ago which was hand-carried back from Amsterdam by a fellow forumite, and have really enjoyed it. In fact, I may need to place another order from Markus here very soon...
Wolfgang
Posted on Wednesday, May 8, 2002 - 8:06 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

That bottle of Serpis was great when watered from the cooler`s bottom water... But we were lured by the previous real green fairy down to this abysmal state of depravation where the absinthe turns to the color of blood and where people fornicate around the generous provider of liquid damnation who`s pouring more and more and more.

If only I could find this vintage prohibition drawing where we see the evil green fairy pouring absinthe to a bunch of depraved souls laying at her feet (ther`s a fountain comming out of some cliff...).
Mclion
Posted on Wednesday, May 8, 2002 - 7:37 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

and even nowadays I enjoy a gleas of Deva from time to time...

Markus
Verawench
Posted on Wednesday, May 8, 2002 - 7:35 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Think back a few years where Deva was a heaven-sent. Things have been looking up ever since. Most people on this forum have been fortunate enough to try decent quality products, products we only dreamt about 2-3 years ago.

May I remind you spoiled brats: this is the new golden age.
Chevalier
Posted on Wednesday, May 8, 2002 - 6:49 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

It's difficult now, but that will change. By our thirsty standards, Jade's taking a long time. But when it comes out, you'll have easy, reliable access to (almost certainly) the best commercial absinthe on earth, and it (almost certainly) won't cost you $150.

Between 1915 and now, a generation of alcohol-loving people were born, lived and died without ever tasting really fine commercial absinthe. You won't be one of them. Don't worry; be happy.
Wolfgang
Posted on Wednesday, May 8, 2002 - 6:38 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

*does the snoopy dance*

snoopy1 snoopy2
Mclion
Posted on Wednesday, May 8, 2002 - 6:28 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have the feeling, that some folks here are never satisfied - maybe the only way to get some good Absinthe is to work it out yourself. To me Kübler is great stuff - you have to search quite a while to find something comparable, don't you?

Markus
Mclion
Posted on Wednesday, May 8, 2002 - 6:26 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Even to me it's difficult to get some Bleue - and it isn't that far away from here. For sure you would have to pay more than $50! for a bottle..

Markus
Pikkle
Posted on Wednesday, May 8, 2002 - 6:16 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

cuz
Abszim
Posted on Wednesday, May 8, 2002 - 5:14 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

My thoughts exactly, bored with the spanish and was hoping a lot from the new french absinthes, but Pernod 68 was a major disappointment. I´l guess I have to try the F.Guy.
I would like to get my hands on some real La Bleue, but not interested to pay 150-e. God Damn why does this have to be so difficult.

K_
Artemis
Posted on Wednesday, May 8, 2002 - 2:34 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Are these new French brands really "de-thujoned"? (Not that I really care, but as a matter of principle I want things as they were and should be.)"

If you can't tell the difference by drinking them, there isn't any difference.
Crosby
Posted on Wednesday, May 8, 2002 - 12:40 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm waiting on Ian!
Destiny
Posted on Wednesday, May 8, 2002 - 12:37 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

As I watch my bottles of wolvie's stuff slowly disappear, I can't help but wonder what's next? Sure, we can still get LaBleue for $150-$250, but after paying $75 for good stuff it now seems ridiculous to pay 3x that amount now that Andy is AWOL. The average Joe doesn't have access to hogsmack and Jade has proven to be nothing more than a myth to most, a distant memory to others. Yes, the Spanish brands are still there - drinkable, but now less appealing. LaFee and Pernod are disappointing. Oxygenee is okay but hasn't grown on me yet and Kubler just doesn't seem worth it. What's left? What is the best quality and taste available for regular consumption? F.Guy? E.Pernot? Are these new French brands really "de-thujoned"? (Not that I really care, but as a matter of principle I want things as they were and should be.)

Is anything available that isn't over-anised, over-colored, over-priced or decaffeinated?

Markus - you wanna make some money? Get us some blanche or real verte in the $50-$85 range.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page